Reviews: Three-Row Lexus RXL

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Motor Trend Reviews the Three-Row 2018 Lexus RX 350L

18-02-06-lexus-rx-350l-motor-trend.jpg

The first review of the seven-seat crossover.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
As far as reviews go, Motor Trend gravitates towards negativity in minute detail. Concerns about usable space is one thing, but an entire paragraph slamming the 14-second time of the power-folding third row is unnecessary.

True, but why does it take so long? At sub-zero temperatures that could get annoying very quickly.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
With kids, groceries, gear and whatever else, I think 14 seconds is a little too leisurely. If you're planning ahead and putting the seats down for a road trip before you load the car, probably not a big deal, but in the moment, I can see that being fairly aggravating.

Similarly, Toyota/Lexus hatches seem to be slowest-in-class and that too can be annoying in the same circumstances.

I wish Lexus PR would do a better job of optioning up vehicles to send out to the media. This is one of their most important models and they sent it out FWD with base options and a base interior. I feel like an AWD model would have helped to negate some of the annoyances with torque steer, the 20" wheels would have surely helped the appearance and a better optioned interior never hurts either.

Reactions
Let's just cut the nonsense and point out the fact that Lexus even offers a POWERED 3rd row seat in a vehicle that does not even need one!!! 14 seconds?!? REALLY. 'OUTTA HERE with that!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I'm surprised some auto press even bothered reviewing this vehicle and Lexus bothered sending out review samples. At least they need to write something other than 'sure this is the money printing machine that people buy no matter what we write here', so they picked up a somewhat valid and relevant criticism.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
MT's review is in line with my expectations. Usual strengths of the RX (smooth drive, quality interior) and weaknesses (Infotainment/tech, and tight 3rd row).

I do agree the time it takes to fold the 3rd row is long which is exacerbated by the fact that you need to hold the button the entire time. Rear hatch is a little slow too but I've grown accustomed to its 8-second close time on my 2-row RX and similar time when I had the NX.

Biggest surprise to me was the exposed rear window wiper which hints at the slightly rushed development of the L. Not a big deal, just an observation, but it is nicer, more refined concealed underneath the roof spoiler.

mikeavelli

Reactions
In my video (go to around the 1:45 mark) where I show how long it takes for the seat to go down. I noted that to enable the seat to go flat it must raise first then fit into the rear shelf. That adds some time. Contrarily the MDX I had next to it was a manual seat which is of course fast but feels sub luxury compared to a power rear seat (note the GX and LX are power too).

Having a RX and LX now and using them with a kid the only time that would be a problem is in the rain or inclement weather when you want things to move fast. Otherwise it is SUPER PETTY to pick on it.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Having a RX and LX now and using them with a kid the only time that would be a problem is in the rain or inclement weather when you want things to move fast. Otherwise it is SUPER PETTY to pick on it.

When you're wearing a bright white shirt, a stain stands out.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Biggest surprise to me was the exposed rear window wiper which hints at the slightly rushed development of the L. Not a big deal, just an observation, but it is nicer, more refined concealed underneath the roof spoiler.
According to the Lexus UK Media Site, it's not so much rushed development as gaining headroom for the 3rd row. Their release titled The New Lexus RX L: Every Millimetre Counts contains this paragraph:

But look more closely and you will notice that not only is the RX L longer at the rear, the angle of its tailgate has been made slightly steeper. That fine adjustment is actually important in making sure there’s comfortable headroom for anyone sitting in the third row of seats. Even more valuable millimetres have been gained simply by moving the rear wiper mechanism from the top to the bottom of the window.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
As I said from even the spy photos time it will be dead from the start

Why with God sake they didn't wait until the next-generation TNGA based and to be designed well from the beginning by the 3 rows mentality