Reviews: Three-Row Lexus RXL

Discussion in 'Lexus Lounge' started by krew, Feb 6, 2018.

1. krew
    krew Administrator
    Den likes this.
  2. Mohammed Taha
    Mohammed Taha Founding Member
    True, but why does it take so long? At sub-zero temperatures that could get annoying very quickly.

krew likes this.
  3. krew
    krew Administrator
    For sure. Calling it slow is one thing, writing a 100 word complaint seems petty.

Or maybe I'm the one that's being petty? :cold_sweat:

Ian Schmidt, Brooks2IS and RAL like this.
  4. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    With kids, groceries, gear and whatever else, I think 14 seconds is a little too leisurely. If you're planning ahead and putting the seats down for a road trip before you load the car, probably not a big deal, but in the moment, I can see that being fairly aggravating.

Similarly, Toyota/Lexus hatches seem to be slowest-in-class and that too can be annoying in the same circumstances.

I wish Lexus PR would do a better job of optioning up vehicles to send out to the media. This is one of their most important models and they sent it out FWD with base options and a base interior. I feel like an AWD model would have helped to negate some of the annoyances with torque steer, the 20" wheels would have surely helped the appearance and a better optioned interior never hurts either.

krew likes this.
  5. Mohammed Taha
    He wanted to make a point. I’m guessing he succeeded.

krew likes this.
  6. Damion Pugh
    Let's just cut the nonsense and point out the fact that Lexus even offers a POWERED 3rd row seat in a vehicle that does not even need one!!! 14 seconds?!? REALLY. 'OUTTA HERE with that!

7. ssun30
    I'm surprised some auto press even bothered reviewing this vehicle and Lexus bothered sending out review samples. At least they need to write something other than 'sure this is the money printing machine that people buy no matter what we write here', so they picked up a somewhat valid and relevant criticism.

krew likes this.
  8. Tragic Bronson
    If anything, Lexus PR should be lining up the mommy bloggers to drive them first.

9. krew
    krew Administrator
    [offtopic]

You have the best avatar on the forum. Here's a video just for you:

[/offtopic]

Den, Mohammed Taha and Ian Schmidt like this.
  10. Mohammed Taha
    LOL. The avatar is just a reminder for everyone of that miserable day. - Extremely off topic

Gecko, Den and krew like this.
  11. corradoMR2
    corradoMR2 Founding Member
    MT's review is in line with my expectations. Usual strengths of the RX (smooth drive, quality interior) and weaknesses (Infotainment/tech, and tight 3rd row).

I do agree the time it takes to fold the 3rd row is long which is exacerbated by the fact that you need to hold the button the entire time. Rear hatch is a little slow too but I've grown accustomed to its 8-second close time on my 2-row RX and similar time when I had the NX.

Biggest surprise to me was the exposed rear window wiper which hints at the slightly rushed development of the L. Not a big deal, just an observation, but it is nicer, more refined concealed underneath the roof spoiler.

Joaquin Ruhi, Gecko and RAL like this.
  12. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    In my video (go to around the 1:45 mark) where I show how long it takes for the seat to go down. I noted that to enable the seat to go flat it must raise first then fit into the rear shelf. That adds some time. Contrarily the MDX I had next to it was a manual seat which is of course fast but feels sub luxury compared to a power rear seat (note the GX and LX are power too).

Having a RX and LX now and using them with a kid the only time that would be a problem is in the rain or inclement weather when you want things to move fast. Otherwise it is SUPER PETTY to pick on it.

krew, Trexus, RAL and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mohammed Taha
    When you're wearing a bright white shirt, a stain stands out.

corradoMR2 likes this.
  14. krew
    krew Administrator
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Den likes this.
  15. krew
    krew Administrator
  16. krew
    krew Administrator
  17. krew
    krew Administrator
  18. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    According to the Lexus UK Media Site, it's not so much rushed development as gaining headroom for the 3rd row. Their release titled The New Lexus RX L: Every Millimetre Counts contains this paragraph:

corradoMR2, Brooks2IS and Ian Schmidt like this.
  19. maiaramdan
    As I said from even the spy photos time it will be dead from the start

Why with God sake they didn't wait until the next-generation TNGA based and to be designed well from the beginning by the 3 rows mentality

bogglo likes this.
  20. Ian Schmidt
    Ian Schmidt Staff Member Moderator
    My sales guy said the RX L is selling, but he'd like to see a new RX designed for 3 rows sooner rather than later in order to sell more.

corradoMR2 and bogglo like this.