Reviews & News: The Lexus LC 500

Reactions
These guys from motor trend are at least irrelevant,
for the only thing they cares is the German performance engines without reliability.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The Aston Martin has a cheap looking interior with bin parts from Mercedes.

Had this Aston Martin be compared with Mercedes S Coupe, it would have lost. I would not care if Lexus lost, but the Aston is simply less good looking, and with turbos, not that good sounding.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I didn't write this in my post, but all I see are two guys that have been automotive journalists for too long and forgotten what life is like outside of their free-car bubble.

Writing off $100k like it's nothing is disgraceful, especially when the only reason was to avoid giving the win to a Lexus.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I didn't write this in my post, but all I see are two guys that have been automotive journalists for too long and forgotten what life is like outside of their free-car bubble.

Writing off $100k like it's nothing is disgraceful, especially when the only reason was to avoid giving the win to a Lexus.

And yet when the Alpine A110 is objectively a better sport scar than the 718 Cayman, price is all of a sudden a concern (should there be a comparison made between the two cars I mentioned). All of sudden Alfa reliability is concern compared to Range Rover,...etc.

Car magazines are a business, just as any other for-profit business. Non-car people buy cars according to mainstream consumer reports and do not follow car stuff closely. Car magazine appeal to car people, that need to some external entity to support and confirm their belief. To earn their money, car magazines will look to appeal to the mass. Nothing special really. The best review is the one a person makes himself. Nothing wrong with sharing honestly biased opinions however.

SteVVT-i

Fan
Reactions
Im not even mad because i see everyone even on YT comments agree this review is a joke. Johnny hates anything Toyota/Lexus end of story. It doesnt matter what Lexus builds, he will always cry in denial. He was the only one who didn't like the way the LFA drove and he's the only one who thinks Lexus "missed the mark" on styling with this car. He wint mention the contraversal design elements of the DB11 tho.

It's easy for MT to only include selective facts to support their designated winner. Wasn't price the biggest derogatory of the LFA? The LS500 laughably just lost to the G90 because of price. But in this compsrison because the LC is half the price of its competitor, price doesnt matter lmao.

Anyways, It all makes sense now. Lexus wasn't trying to rewrite history with the LS500. But what Lexus did to Mercedes in 1989 is what they are doing to Aston Martin today with the LC500 relaunching the Lexus brand.

Aston built a better DB11 but Lexus built the better GT coupe- for HALF the price with much better reliability and resale. Thats the entire picture MT doesn't want to paint.

Reactions
I thought MT was cozy with Toyota.

If you guys remember 3 years ago, MT did a huge article with Toyota. One of those editors now works for Toyota, and MT's EIC is buddies with the Toyota PR guy not to mention he grew up in Toyotas. I guess Lexus is different. Bearded Jonny L came from Autoblog (no surprise), and most of these guys grew up with European cars, so there's that.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I have followed Jethro since his days with EVO UK and Drive Republic. He had lavish praises for the LFA always. I have had mad respect for him as an objective reviewer alongside Chris Harris. Jonny, is quite the opposite who wants to blurt controversial comments to generate hype. One of the worst reviewers, in my opinion.

However, Jethro saying "big zero" to everything else Lexus did other than LFA and LS400 is a very unfair comment. I drive an RCF and it never stops blowing me away with the depth and breadth of its capabilities. It is an incredibly fun car to drive, listening to the howling V8 engine and to toss around. It puzzles me even more as to why such Lexus not get the credit they deserve.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
May bad. This review is totally nuts. I did not notice the DB11 was v8 and not v12. In this case, the DB11, that is IMO the worst looking Aston Martin (A pillar, fender and front bumper, long overhang with dropping nose, so so rear), with a not as good sounding V8 because of turbocharger, and Mercedes bin parts interior, simply cannot win. This Aston Martin V8 has only one thing better than the LC: the transaxle. But this was not even used as an argument, because very few know its benefit.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
their conclusion is not apparently based on any logic or clear rationale. The LC beats the DB11 even though the DB11 have more than 100 ft lbs more of torque. Entertaining video though, but give me some sound logic. @ $100k less!!! HA!

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
it was a stupid review. It's a shame that lexus (and Toyota) is forever battling the moving goal posts and bland stereotype. All their reviews start with the same boring overused clichés. X has always been bland/boring/reliable transport...but now X has bla bla bla...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Robert Cumberford Critiques Lexus LC 500 Design

18-02-06-lexus-lc-automobile-mag.jpg

Cautious optimism.
View the original article post

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Autobild Germany has pitted the new Audi RS5 against the LC500.

You can read the article here. The title is "Geld oder Liebe" (yellow or love) where the LC500 is the one that is yellow:

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi-rs-5-lexus-lc-500-test-13304493.html

The article starts out by telling that the Audi RS5 had just lost a comparison review against the BMW M4 and Mercedes-AMG C 63. Luckily they have an LC500 on hand so that the Audi can save some face.

The article continues with by describing the fancy new details of the Audi while sprinkling in some complaints about the LC (weight, you have to control seat heating using the touchpad, how a V8 is old school technology, that the door handles Jaguar, etc.)

Read a translated version if you can stomach it. I was surprised by seeing not one, but two points raised against the Audi: High price and uncomfortable ride. Autobild has become quite adventurous lately!

The conclusion is (apart from the obvious win by anything German over anything non-German) that Lexus has spent too much focus on design, and too little on weight... in their large Grand Tourer... so that it is outperformed by a lighter and more powerful car on track.

Autobild is just being its usual self.