Reactions
Apple CarPlay Coming to Select 2019 Model Year Lexus Vehicles

18-01-17-lexus-carplay-2019.jpg

View the original article post

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
As long as it brings more customers to Lexus/Toyota. At least infotainment will not be what makes worse car better than the better car.

Reactions
Guess the brass at TMC got tired of hooting and hollering...glad they are finally listening to customers. My guess that it will start with the models with the younger customer bases first.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
From what I heard, it took Toyota and Apple an unusually long time to reach a privacy agreement. Not sure how their negotiations are going with Google...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
My guess that it will start with the models with the younger customer bases first.
Common sense would say so, but, going by model change cycles (not to mention Avalon debuting Apple CarPlay for Toyota), it stands to reason that its fraternal twin, the old-mannish ES will be among the first if not the first Lexus to feature Apple CarPlay.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I got a feeling the absence of Android Auto has something to do with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant being fierce rivals at this point. Siri isn't really good enough when compared lol.

Reactions
Hopefully Android Auto is next!
I'm hoping for the same and crossing my fingers that they figure out how to make it backwards compatible! Current Lexus models as well as models on the Toyota side with Entune 3.0 would benefit immensely from both Apple Car play and Android Auto.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Common sense would say so, but, going by model change cycles (not to mention Avalon debuting Apple CarPlay for Toyota), it stands to reason that its fraternal twin, the old-mannish ES will be among the first if not the first Lexus to feature Apple CarPlay.

The new ES will almost definitely be the first Lexus to feature CarPlay. After that, I imagine it will be limited to any other new or updated models that are released this year and existing models with Enform 2.0 -- the 2019 LC, LS, RC and NX.

JUST MY GUESS.

Nate Wiener

Premium Member
Reactions
"Carplay implementation will be wired..."

^^^ Seriously?? That negates a lot of my potential excitement.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions

Yea thats pretty lame for 2019 MY premium luxury vehicles. And does not mix well at all especially since Lexus has been brushing up on their new strategy of targeting a younger demographic.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Carplay implementation will be wired..."

Yea thats pretty lame for 2019 MY premium luxury vehicles. And does not mix well at all especially since Lexus has been brushing up on their new strategy of targeting a younger demographic.

It's worth pointing out that it was Toyota that said CarPlay would be wired. Lexus has yet to debut a vehicle with CarPlay, so it's a little early to judge.

Reactions

Unfortunately that's the only way to use it now. Same goes for Android Auto.

Hope that future updates to CP will negate the USB cord, but in the meantime, it is what it is.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It's worth pointing out that it was Toyota that said CarPlay would be wired. Lexus has yet to debut a vehicle with CarPlay, so it's a little early to judge.

how many cars have wireless CarPlay?