Apple CarPlay & Lexus

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
From what I've been able to find, wireless CarPlay is only offered by BMW right now from the factory, and not on all models (BMW also of course makes you pay a monthly fee for it). Several aftermarket head units also support it. Automakers are dragging their feet because it requires hardware changes, not just software.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yea thats pretty lame for 2019 MY premium luxury vehicles. And does not mix well at all especially since Lexus has been brushing up on their new strategy of targeting a younger demographic.

Lexus is in the same situation as Mercedes and Audi here, so it's not like they've greatly flubbed up.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
The Apple CarPlay announcement during the Avalon debut made me very hopeful for Android Auto. I suppose I can wait a little longer to see if that will ever materialize. The lack of Android Auto is seriously hindering me from purchasing a new Lexus vehicle - that and the fact that a complete LX overhaul is long overdue.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Lexus is in the same situation as Mercedes and Audi here, so it's not like they've greatly flubbed up.

Yea I get that too though Lexus has specifically put an emphasis on targeting a younger audience by sacrificing the older audience. I don't know if wireless carplay connection is just too expensive for them to consider at this point or perhaps wireless is not their main concern but it is a lackluster approach if younger buyers is their target. I would probably be ok if it was 2018 but 2019 is kind of a stretch.

But I definitely will stand corrected if Lexus does infact go for wireless carplay. I would like to applaud them for it.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Even with CarPlay, it's not going to be very good since it will have to be controlled with the RTI, not touchscreen like other manufacturers.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I don't know. Lack of it isn't really stopping me now, and the LS500 has many other charms :)

I must agree. There is a lot to like about the LS500. I'm looking forward to seeing in at the beginning of February.

I'm also quite used to the current interface and don't find it that frustrating

Benito

Fan
Reactions
I'm wondering what Acura's new Android based touchpad is going to be like to use. It looks like it has potential to be easier to use while driving than Lexus' current touch based control system.

On the other hand, I do not like touch screens in cars because I hate looking at fingerprints all over the screen, it makes the dashboard look dirty.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Acura's is weird because you have to touch the pad at the same place the widget on the screen is. So you have to look at the screen, figure out where the thing you wanted was, then look down at the touchpad. Lexus' various controllers, for all their other faults, don't require looking at the controller itself.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Acura's is weird because you have to touch the pad at the same place the widget on the screen is. So you have to look at the screen, figure out where the thing you wanted was, then look down at the touchpad. Lexus' various controllers, for all their other faults, don't require looking at the controller itself.

i think only real difference is that in Acura, you basically just move selection focus from button to button.. you dont actually move a pointer. I wonder why Lexus does not have that instead of pointer, never made much sense. I guess it does give you less options possible on the screen.

So moving left on Acura touchpad will still give you move to the left, to the next button on the left.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
As Acura described it, it's a full-on absolute touch pad, where pressing upper left on the pad taps upper left on the screen. That may well be an error on their part though.

In other news, people are now pushing Apple to offer car-less CarPlay (like Android Auto already has) in order to bypass BMW's weird subscription thing. This would let you do CarPlay's simplified in-car interface on the actual phone's screen.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As Acura described it, it's a full-on absolute touch pad, where pressing upper left on the pad taps upper left on the screen. That may well be an error on their part though.

In other news, people are now pushing Apple to offer car-less CarPlay (like Android Auto already has) in order to bypass BMW's weird subscription thing. This would let you do CarPlay's simplified in-car interface on the actual phone's screen.

it is not an error, i am sure it will do something like that to an extent, but you will also be able to simply move it left or right to select buttons... however it wont be as mouse, but rather as one of the 5-6 buttons selection... it makes sense.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

This is a super interesting idea, would love to see this happen.

Reactions
Hopefully that includes Google Maps lol.