Introducing the Updated 2018 Lexus NX & NX F SPORT

Reactions
unfortunately European nav system has already had google street view and panoramio for a while. Graphics do look updated over even latest ones for GS in Europe.

You're right but you don't have the option for Google maps navigation. And the implementation of google street view and panoramio isn't that great. It's no comparison. For me it looks like they have done a huge step up. But i don't have more information on that and how it influences the System.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
You're right but you don't have the option for Google maps navigation. And the implementation of google street view and panoramio isn't that great. It's no comparison. For me it looks like they have done a huge step up. But i don't have more information on that and how it influences the System.

yeah, but it looks like previous navigation with slightly different graphics. Or? If you have one, let us know... I only looked at pics and compared it to RX450h NAV in Europe.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
hmm I said earlier in this thread that the front looks worse than ever, with these new pics somehow at least the standard model looks neater than previously. Otherwise all the improvements listed sound like worthwhile enhancements which should be well received.
What news on the GS and also the next ES? And of course the CT - why do Lexus remain so tight lipped on these models particularly the GS and the CT, many owners would like some information rather sooner than later. They are both due replacements and we have seen odd renderings but nothing confirmed and the UX come on Lexus tell us what's ahead.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
hmm I said earlier in this thread that the front looks worse than ever, with these new pics somehow at least the standard model looks neater than previously. Otherwise all the improvements listed sound like worthwhile enhancements which should be well received.
What news on the GS and also the next ES? And of course the CT - why do Lexus remain so tight lipped on these models particularly the GS and the CT, many owners would like some information rather sooner than later. They are both due replacements and we have seen odd renderings but nothing confirmed and the UX come on Lexus tell us what's ahead.

Lexus wont tell us anything about GS, ES, CT because they are selling existing models... doesnt make sense to tell us to wait for 2-3 years for new model.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
BTW, I am cringing at those bronze rims.
It looks like they won't be coming to North America.

At this point, there are a trio of official Lexus news releases on the NX facelift:

Global Newsroom (refers primarily to Japanese domestic market version): http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/16448333/
USA Newsroom: http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/2018+lexus+nx+refreshed+shanghai+auto+show.htm
Canada Newsroom: http://media.lexus.ca/releases/2018...-with-a-sharper-look-and-enhanced-performance
(As of this writing, nothing from the Lexus Europe and UK Newsrooms and Blogs)

Only the Global (JDM) release states that "Two new high-grade aluminum 18-in. wheels have been added to the mix, including a bronze-colored machine-finished piece." The U.S. and Canada releases change this to a mention of a single new 18" aluminum wheel, with nary a mention of bronze coloring . (For what it's worth, the "high-grade" reference remains in Canada but is omitted in the U.S.)

Other than this, the Canadian release hews closer to the Global one than the U.S. one. Here are other minor but noteworthy differences:

- "The “t” designation has been removed from the name as turbo-charged engines have been adopted by other models in Lexus’s lineup. (Lexus will be initiating this name change to its other turbocharged models in the coming months.)." This passage was omitted from the U.S. version but appears in the others. The Global version prefaces it with a question: "You may be wondering, why the name change to the entry-level model?"

- "Rear-seat passengers will now be able to set the temperature in their own compartment via a switch on the rear console."
This apparent reference to either a new tri-zone climate control system or new rear-seat controls for the existing dual-zone system is missing from the U.S. news release. Will the U.S. simply not offer this? Or will it be available there as part of a Premium or Luxury package?

- "Even the audio knob and window switches feature a metallic coating." Again, this is missing from the U.S. news release. Will the U.S. simply not offer this? Or will it be available there as part of a Premium or Luxury package?

- "For models equipped with the Heads Up Display (HUD), the unit is now integrated into the upper instrument panel, resulting in a smooth dash surface that looks identical to those of non-HUD-equipped models." Again, this is missing from the U.S. news release. It seems that the U.S. has simply chosen not to offer this option.

- The wording of the foot-operated hatch feature varies. The Global and U.S. versions state that "The 2018 NX adds the convenience of a foot-operated rear hatch that can be used when the user's hands or arms are full, such as when carrying goods. Placing or kicking up one of your feet toward a sensor beneath the rear-bumper cover opens or closes the electrically-actuated rear hatch." The Canadian version has simpler, shorter wording: "The 2018 NX adds the convenience of a sensor foot-operated rear hatch that can be used when the user’s hands or arms are full". Is there any great significance to this? Perhaps that Canadian NXs can only kick the hatch open but not shut?

- "It will also be equipped with Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS)". Again, this is missing from the U.S. news release. Will the U.S. simply not offer this? Or will it be available there as part of a Premium or Luxury package? Or with some other package or as a stand-alone option? I'm not even sure what
Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) is in the first place.

There are also differences in the F SPORT interior descriptions. Interior trim ornamentation is referred to as specially textured Naguri aluminum in Japan and Canada but as Metallic Sport in the U.S. This sounds more like semantics and different names than any actual physical difference, though. The Global/Japan news release states that "The special white/black seating surface treatment (shown in the Global news release photo gallery) is one of a few new interior color combinations that are exclusive to the F Sport", while the Canadian one cites "The new Flare Red interior colour seating surface treatment (that) is exclusive to the F Sport". Meanwhile, the U.S. news release remains silent on the subject, thus implying that the current Black or Rioja Red Nuluxe F Sport interior options remain unchanged.

Finally, there is a reference to "separate readouts for turbo boost and G forces for the HUD display" in the F Sport section of the Global and Canada news releases but absent from their USA counterpart, further proof that the HUD will be absent even as an option from U.S. NXs.

Last edited:
Reactions
The Lexus NX was never really called sporty in any regard except for the looks. This may change. The new Adaptive Variable Suspension is something I'm looking forward to seeing in every Lexus sedan (except for the ES, maybe).

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-04-19-lexus-nx-update-video.jpg

Here's the launch video from the NX's Shanghai debut.
View the original article post

Reactions
so many variations for this model around the world. I've been selling so many lately, its CRAZY. One of my customers asked me last week about any changes for the 2018 and I cringed, I said, "probably not much"

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
^ In that last picture of the front end, it almost looks like a GS F other than the bottom part of the bumper.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Nicely done....no hybrid f-sport still?
Who knows? I just reread the F Sport section of 2018 NX facelift USA news release, and it neither rules out nor confirms an NX 300h F Sport. I guess we'll know closer to its on-sale date...

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The NX isn't exactly underpowered for its segment, only 6 hp less than the GLC 300, but 1.1 seconds slower than the GLC to 60! The X3 has 300 hp and hits 60 in 5.3 seconds. So either the NX needs more hp option or needs to lose weight. Right now performance-wise it cannot even compete with the segment that the UX will be entering. Give the NX the 3.5L V6 from the RX as an option and give the RX a much more powerful engine as it cannot compete with the X5 and GLE with only 290 hp. The RX 350 should have the 311 hp variant from the GS 350 to properly compete with the X5 xDrive35i and I don't think this will actually happen but I would love to see the engine from the LS 500 in the RX to give the X5 xDrive50i and Porsche Cayenne S a run for their money. Right now, the NX and RX engine options compete with lower segments. The RX or NX lineup doesn't even deserve an F Sport badge until it gets these engine options.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The NX isn't exactly underpowered for its segment, only 6 hp less than the GLC 300, but 1.1 seconds slower than the GLC to 60! The X3 has 300 hp and hits 60 in 5.3 seconds. So either the NX needs more hp option or needs to lose weight. Right now performance-wise it cannot even compete with the segment that the UX will be entering. Give the NX the 3.5L V6 from the RX as an option and give the RX a much more powerful engine as it cannot compete with the X5 and GLE with only 290 hp. The RX 350 should have the 311 hp variant from the GS 350 to properly compete with the X5 xDrive35i and I don't think this will actually happen but I would love to see the engine from the LS 500 in the RX to give the X5 xDrive50i and Porsche Cayenne S a run for their money. Right now, the NX and RX engine options compete with lower segments. The RX or NX lineup doesn't even deserve an F Sport badge until it gets these engine options.

There are a few other issues here:

1) Both NX and RX are FWD, which leads to torque steer in any spirited driving (as we all know)

2) ToMoCo's Dynamic Torque Control AWD is a system that defaults to 100% FWD to save gas until a loss of traction is detected or under heavy acceleration. I've driven many vehicles with DTC AWD and unfortunately, they still behave very much like FWD with a little extra traction. This is very far from being a performance AWD system because it essentially requires a traction loss or heavy acceleration to engage the rear wheels at all. Even if you mash the throttle from 40, 50, 60 mph... the front end of the car starts to get squirrely as it picks up speed.

If Lexus wants to commit to FWD for NX and RX, and they are similarly committed to F and F Sport, they need to come up with a new AWD system that actively splits power something like 50/50 F:R or 30/70 F:R like Quattro used to do. The fact that AWD isn't always engaged prevents it from being good for anything other than truly pedestrian applications.

Even Lexus' All Weather Drive for RWD applications is a relatively dated system and not nearly as competent as Audi's Quattro, Acura's SH-AWD or even Subaru's symmetrical AWD, as there is no side-to-side torque vectoring capability.

In summary, Toyota needs to roll out some next generation AWD tech and hardware in pretty short order.

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
This is very far from being a performance AWD system
So if they made an NX F or RX F using this system, it would be pretty crappy. Mercedes-AMG is using their 4MATIC+ system in the new GLC 63 and also in the E 63 and it can send 100% to the rear wheels.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^Correct. They need some type of full time split between the front and rear wheels to make it anything close to a performance-capable AWD system. Whether that's possible with a simple computer code or will require an entire re-engineer, I'm not sure.

I would have to think that the rollout of TNGA(-L) is a great time for Toyota to introduce new AWD systems: one for FWD and one for RWD. They've mentioned that AWD will be available on the LC and we know it will be available on the LS and IS, hopefully the GS lives to see it. FWD products need it as well. It's time for Lexus to step up with a torque vectoring setup that rivals the best (Quattro, SH-AWD).

To be honest, if Lexus had a performance AWD system like what we are talking about, they could get away with canning the GS and just having two versions of the ES: FWD and AWD, then turbocharge a top end model with standard AWD. Exactly what Audi does with the A6/S6/RS6. I hate saying that, but truly... it could work for 80% of customers if they designed the rest of the car correctly. We still don't know how flexible the FWD TNGA platforms are at this point.

C-HR is the only TNGA product that has AWD that I know of, but since it's only available as FWD in the US, I can't find any information on the other global models. Can anyone tell what AWD system it has?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
^Correct. They need some type of full time split between the front and rear wheels to make it anything close to a performance-capable AWD system. Whether that's possible with a simple computer code or will require an entire re-engineer, I'm not sure.

I would have to think that the rollout of TNGA(-L) is a great time for Toyota to introduce new AWD systems: one for FWD and one for RWD. They've mentioned that AWD will be available on the LC and we know it will be available on the LS and IS, hopefully the GS lives to see it. FWD products need it as well. It's time for Lexus to step up with a torque vectoring setup that rivals the best (Quattro, SH-AWD).

To be honest, if Lexus had a performance AWD system like what we are talking about, they could get away with canning the GS and just having two versions of the ES: FWD and AWD, then turbocharge a top end model with standard AWD. Exactly what Audi does with the A6/S6/RS6. I hate saying that, but truly... it could work for 80% of customers if they designed the rest of the car correctly. We still don't know how flexible the FWD TNGA platforms are at this point.

C-HR is the only TNGA product that has AWD that I know of, but since it's only available as FWD in the US, I can't find any information on the other global models. Can anyone tell what AWD system it has?

I think only Russia has AWD, with 2.0l and CVT.

As to FWD/AWD, i doubt anything will change since efficiency is the main goal here. Their current FWD/AWD system is not made for full time awd, it is limited by how much you can drive with AWD is activated before heating up. But honestly, we had full time AWDs for a long time, until 2016, and those cars were not any more sportier than now.