Introducing the Updated 2018 Lexus NX & NX F SPORT

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think only Russia has AWD, with 2.0l and CVT.

As to FWD/AWD, i doubt anything will change since efficiency is the main goal here. Their current FWD/AWD system is not made for full time awd, it is limited by how much you can drive with AWD is activated before heating up. But honestly, we had full time AWDs for a long time, until 2016, and those cars were not any more sportier than now.

Agree with you on sportiness of past AWD systems. But we are now entering a time and market where NX needs a 300-350hp variant, RX needs to be 330-350hp on the base model, etc. Lexus does not have an AWD system to adequately support performance variants (F) of vehicles with transverse drivetrain layouts.

So we end up with "lame" F Sport models for both RX and NX, and no F models. Give it another few years and if Lexus doesn't respond with more powerful engines and better AWD systems to support them, they will be underpowered and forgotten.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-04-26-lexus-nx-2018-automotive.jpg

In related news, the NX has global sales of 12k per month.
View the original article post

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Agree with you on sportiness of past AWD systems. But we are now entering a time and market where NX needs a 300-350hp variant, RX needs to be 330-350hp on the base model, etc. Lexus does not have an AWD system to adequately support performance variants (F) of vehicles with transverse drivetrain layouts.

So we end up with "lame" F Sport models for both RX and NX, and no F models. Give it another few years and if Lexus doesn't respond with more powerful engines and better AWD systems to support them, they will be underpowered and forgotten.

Well "need". We need it, but we are enthusiasts. Other customers need other things.

They still have full time AWD systems in Japan, i think even their small cars have them there. But MPG regulations dont make it feasable for Europe and even USA.

Maybe next gen system will be different... afterall they do own Torsen, they can do whatever they want.