5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yeah, I noticed that when it aired during the SB. Beyond disappointing, but we'll have plenty of LC (and I suspect reveals of more of the LS500's features) to keep us company.

Reactions: Dan

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
C/D released a feature on the LS 500 which also told us more unknown details about the car, such as best-in-class rear legroom and more.

They also claimed to have driven an early prototype of the LS with the TTV6 and presumably the new platform:
Our preview of the Lexus LS included a short drive of some early engineering mules. Engineers were still finalizing powertrain calibrations, so we can’t comment on the twin-turbo six at this time. But with the optional air springs, the ride is excellent, and the rear-wheel steering helps the LS feel surprisingly nimble without compromising straight-line stability. The steering is satisfyingly hefty and the brake pedal progressive. The original LS won the first comparison test we threw it into in 1989; we’ll find out in another year or so if its latest descendant can repeat that feat.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
C/D released a feature on the LS 500 which also told us more unknown details about the car, such as best-in-class rear legroom and more.

I just stumbled onto that article, and this particular tidbit caught my eye:

The engine’s signature, however, is an exceptionally long stroke—100.0 millimeters in an 85.5-millimeter bore—that Lexus claims enables the engine to achieve new levels of thermal efficiency

The current 2GR 3.5-liter V6, by comparison, has an 83 mm stroke and a 94 mm bore, with an actual displacement of 3456cc. Building on the conversation in page 4 of this thread, this is yet another piece of evidence that this is an all-new engine family, as opposed to being simply a twin-turboed 2GR. Although actual displacement for the new V6 has not been revealed, an online calculator ( http://www.revetec.com/Calculators/Engine_Displacement_Calculator-2.htm ) suggests it'll be 3444cc, or technically a 3.4-liter V6. BTW, I ran the 2GR's bore x stroke dimensions on the calculator, and it produced the correct 3456cc displacement, so the calculator certainly seems accurate.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It's already been revealed that the TTV6 is a Dynamic Force engine rather than a 2GR extension (and didn't @Carmaker1 give the engine code for it already?). It's great to have some numbers backing all that up though.

Reactions
LS F Sport???

Look at the photo below. Is there a F Sport emblem on the front fender? Since some of us have thought there will be no F Sport anymore, I'm just curious.
IMG_3773.JPG

and here is the F Sport emblem of the GS.
2013-Lexus-GS-350-F-Sport-side-badge.jpg

the "normal" LS we've seen has nothing on the front fender.
2018-lexus-ls-detroit-2017.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow! Amazing find White Beach! Look at the rims, and the trim. Less chrome, and very sporty rims, gunmetal as opposed to the opulent use of chrome on the debut 5LS rims. That has to be some sort of F model, likely an F-Sport. I think it's too early to be seeing any LS F prototypes on the street. Definitely looks like an F Sport emblem.

Reactions
But Actually side air intake of the LS500 shown at NAIAS and the LS500h of upcoming Geneva Motor Show is slightly different. NAIAS version has a horizontal slat, and the Geneva version has mesh. Is this a indication that there will be a F Sport version? Or this simply differentiates ICE and hybrid?

NAIAS teaser
1920_teaserimagev12-final.jpg

Geneva teaser
800_200b201b-ms-m2-01-x-ray-frq-hv.jpg

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Wow. Great Finds! It clearly is an F Sport embelem if you look close enough. It also can't be the F embelem since you can also see the letters saying SPORT below the F.

I know it is just the camo but I like how the taillights and the have the chrome trim blacked out. Hopefully that is how it will look on the production LS F. Looks very aggressive.

Also, where did you find those photos? Are their any other shots and angles?

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Damn guys great great finds!!!

Joaquin, not surprising about the thermal efficiency. I'm sure you recall news like this
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/holy-****-41-thermal-efficiency-out-of-a-gasoline-eng-1790036659

Really excited to see the MPG ratings on all the new engines.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
This seems to be an LS 500h F Sport. It has an F Sport Badge, but it doesn't have the Multi-Stage Hybrid System badge. Also, I don't understand why the LS 500h has hidden exhausts, since it has quad tailpipes, just as the LC 500h. It's not like it has a single exhaust and they are attempting to hide it since it is unattractive like the ES 200h and GS 450h.