5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
I like "box", especially clean well proportioned like the first LS and the LS which is to be replaced.

Another point, made about the rear seats: those are three seats, not 2 individual seats that are optional in many cars. Previous/Current LS also has 3 and optional 2 individual seats. Maybe they will yet show the individual seats in the LS500h. It would be nice for next Land Cruiser/LX to also get 2 individual rear seats.

I would also like to remind, that good cars in this class lack folding rear seats. Thanks to a rear "firewall", the cabin is completely isolated, while also reinforcing the whole structure of the unibody. The result is uncompromising comfort. Tesla S can get a way with that (and frameless windows) thanks to BEV silence. But imagine BEV in an LS? That is what I wish the GS would be.
Yeah, when i saw the third seat belt, i was thinking that they might have more to show later ?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
David Undercoffler is Automotive News' West Coast Bureau reporter, and among his duties for years was covering rumors and goings-on for Torrance, California-based Toyota and Lexus' U.S. operations (with the upcoming move to Texas, those duties now fall to Dallas Bureau reporter Laurence Iliff). Undercoffler is among the more irreverent writers in the normally strait-laced trade publication, and here are his comments on the new Lexus LS:

V2-301169983.jpg

HIT: Front of Lexus LS

Any schlub with a clay modeler and a spatula can smash together a cover-worthy concept car. The hard part is getting that shape past safety regulators, the bean counters and geriatric board members and into customers' hands. So a tip o' the cap to Lexus for introducing the new production LS with a face mighty close to the gob-stopping LF-FC concept that stole the Tokyo Motor Show in 2015. The spindle grille may still be polarizing, but to me, it has started to look at home on the LC and now this LS.

V3-301169983.jpg

MISS: Back of Lexus LS:

It's a pity Lexus put the LS on a rotating display that let us see this sedan's caboose; next show I'm just going to jam a quarter into the stand so we can stare at the face. The problem with the rear end is it doesn't live up to the promise made by the front of the car or its interior design or the striking lines on the LF-FC concept. As President-elect Donald Trump would say, Weak! Sad! Total failure! I haven't seen a letdown this big since I saw Titanic and the boat sinks at the end.

Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/20170116/OEM03/301169983/hits-and-misses-of-the-detroit-show

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes I know how it all drives and works. And obviously I was right about the car but if people want to disagree, thats fine :D

Anywhoo, lets all move this back to the 2018 LS......

I wasn't referring to any specific agreements or disagreements on the RL/RLX, but, I agree....back to the LS. I hope to see the new LS at the D.C. show next week, at least up on the turntable if not floor-acccessable or unlocked, but I'm not holding my breath. Typically, Detroit (or sometimes L.A.) gets first-displays on almost all-new vehicles for the next-model year (in this case, of course, 2018)...and we may or may not get them in D.C. I'll probably do a full-MM review when it's available here at dealerships. Lexus typically introduces new vehicles at dealerships in November or December, at the start of the holiday season...so that's a while yet.

mikeavelli

Reactions
In regards to a lot of commentary about the concept vs production these are my thoughts...

1. Lexus usually shows an actual "concept" which previews some of the intended design but not the actual vehicle. Usually things are either very exaggerated or sometimes the concept previews design thoughts and not a particular vehicle.
2. I think most are talking about the biggest change which was going away from the traditional doorline of the LS to one that adds the rear 3/4 window and D-Pillar.

lexus-lf-fc-concept-2015-tokyo-motor-show_100531925_h.jpg

img_7987-jpg.2050

Looking above, like the LC, I find the production model even better looking and way more detailed than the concept.
3. DO NOT expect every Lexus to look like the LC in regards to production from concept. The LC was not intended for production. Only after the RAVE RAVE reviews of the design and it winning every award in design did Lexus decide to build the exact same car. Contrarily the LF FC was a concept to showcase what was already coming in the LS. Carmaker 1 I hope can come in and bring his thoughts. So the LS and LC initial concepts are from a totally different mind frame.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
1. Lexus usually shows an actual "concept" which previews some of the intended design but not the actual vehicle. Usually things are either very exaggerated or sometimes the concept previews design thoughts and not a particular vehicle.
I'll go a step further and say that Lexus will design the feasible, realistic production vehicle first, with all of the constraints imposed by stuff like platform/architecture hard points, providing enough interior space (especially headroom and legroom), crumple zones, etc. Then, the designers will go back and come up with the idealized concept that reflects how they wish the car had really looked like were it not for those constraints.

CT was the first time Lexus insiders admitted to me that this was sometimes their modus operandi. In other words, the production CT was designed first, then came the LF-Ch Concept which is probably the way they really wished CT could've looked. Or perhaps the design process led to LF-Ch, then reality intervened with the constraints I listed above, plus European pedestrian safety rules, adequate suspension travel, and so on, leading to the production CT. Still, LF-Ch was unveiled 6 months ahead of CT 200h, even though it was put together after the production CT design was finalized.

I don't know if Krew or anyone else on here has heard one way or the other, but I strongly suspect the same thing happened with 5LS vs the LF-FC concept.

2. I think most are talking about the biggest change which was going away from the traditional doorline of the LS to one that adds the rear 3/4 window and D-Pillar.
Indeed, I strongly suspect this is the case. And seeing the LF-FC and 5LS pictures together in the post above shows what the main proportional differences are. The production greenhouse is taller and more ovoid, with more "ragged" and segmented elliptical shapes, versus the cleaner strokes of the concept. On the other hand, it's obvious that headroom would suffer big-time had the 5LS greenhouse hewed closely to LF-LC's. And Lexus does deserve mad props for the way it handled the side window/pillar transitions in such a flush and nearly seamless manner.

3. DO NOT expect every Lexus to look like the LC in regards to production from concept. The LC was not intended for production. Only after the RAVE RAVE reviews of the design and it winning every award in design did Lexus decide to build the exact same car. Contrarily the LF FC was a concept to showcase what was already coming in the LS... So the LS and LC initial concepts are from a totally different mind frame.
This cannot be emphasized enough. The LF-LC to production LC transition was unique in that regard. LF-Ch vs CT, and LF-FC to 5LS are more typical of Lexus' processes.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
This cannot be emphasized enough. The LF-LC to production LC transition was unique in that regard. LF-Ch vs CT, and LF-FC to 5LS are more typical of Lexus' processes.

True, the 5LS is more typical of Lexus' typical concept-to-production process. Even though the 5LS comes after the LC, it's my guess that the LS was just too far in development to change into the LC's process of full integration of design and engineering development. I think that in the future, we will see Lexus adopting the LC's fully-integrated design & engineering process into their other cars. We might see this in the UX, the upcoming 4IS and 5GS if it's not cancelled.

Reactions
Lexus would be wise to introduce a fully electric and/or fuel cell version of this car. At least in the market where I work, it constantly gets compared with the Tesla Model S (since there's a Tesla store literally across the street). To summarize my thoughts: 1) Exterior: blandly elegant in the grand tradition of Lexus sedans, 2) interior: gorgeous and very reminiscent of an S-class, but burdened with a stale infotainment system out of the box, 3) powertrain: uninspired but competitive. All in all, a strong effort, but not enough to retake leadership in this class let alone reinvent it like the original did.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
It would be cool if the electric motor of the hybrid was fuel cell rather than a traditional battery so they are using stuff from the LF-FC Concept but they are not ready for a fully electric Fuel Cell Vehicle, so they just use the motor in a hybrid for now. Still, using Fuel Cell technology for hybrid vehicles, let alone fully electric vehicles by Toyota is foolish when it is lacking infrastructure and its not as efficient as regular electric vehicle batteries.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It would be cool if the electric motor of the hybrid was fuel cell rather than a traditional battery so they are using stuff from the LF-FC Concept but they are not ready for a fully electric Fuel Cell Vehicle, so they just use the motor in a hybrid for now.

Right, if they switched their hybrids to a series hybrid system then it becomes much easier to chuck the ICE and drop in either a fuel cell or batteries. The actual drivetrain stays the same in all 3 cases, it's just where the power comes from that's different. But for whatever reason they seem married to their mechanically-more-complex parallel HSD/LHD system.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
It would be cool if the electric motor of the hybrid was fuel cell rather than a traditional battery so they are using stuff from the LF-FC Concept but they are not ready for a fully electric Fuel Cell Vehicle, so they just use the motor in a hybrid for now. Still, using Fuel Cell technology for hybrid vehicles, let alone fully electric vehicles by Toyota is foolish when it is lacking infrastructure and its not as efficient as regular electric vehicle batteries.

That would be a cool, unexpected twist. Not sure if it's possible at all, but would be neat.

What do you guys think about the interior of the LS? In this comparison:
I feel it holds up well against the S-class, which looks way too boisterous in a luxurious way. The LS on the other hand is very subtle and mature.

In this comparison between the LS500 and 7-series, I feel like it blows away the 7.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Yes :) These are all my personal pictures. I will debut a Flickr Folder soon and another video. The first is below.

I'll start with that I don't like which is the rear 3/4 quarter. Not that its ugly but I am not in love with it. I love the size, its obvious this is a big car, you cannot confuse this with what people are currently saying "it looks like____". Especially the front. It is mind blowing how sculpted and curvaceous it is leading into the rest of the design. When I walked back to my LS F-Sport, it suddenly looked like a box. I'm driving a new BMW 740iL now and it also seems like a box in comparison. This is one super stylish car. I am completely positive it will be grand slam based on design alone.

Oh that reminds me, we have some comparison shots of the 2018 LS with a 2017 LS. Lexus Enthusiast ftw :)
I meant to look at this video when you put it up but forgot. I think looking at it the LS gets better and better. I guess those that don't like the spindle grill just never will as I think the LS has one of the best ones. Either way great video it's awesome to be able to on this site get some info that not everyone might be able to see. Thanks for the close up mikeavelli!!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

For general looks, in that specific comparison with the S-Class, I think the Mercedes has it beat......but one thing I have learned never to do is judge an interior solely by pictures/images or a video. There is no simply substitute for physically plopping's one butt down into the seat and judging the comfort level/roominess and quality of the trim/materials with your own hands and body. I have found (as with some Kias) that a rather plain-looking cabin can have excellent, durable materials, and that some quite upscale and expensive vehicles may look nice inside but actually have El Cheapo materials underneath that surface glitter (the 1Gen Chrysler 300 and Buick Enclave are good examples).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
For general looks, in that specific comparison with the S-Class, I think the Mercedes has it beat......but one thing I have learned never to do is judge an interior solely by pictures/images or a video. There is no simply substitute for physically plopping's one butt down into the seat and judging the comfort level/roominess and quality of the trim/materials with your own hands and body. I have found (as with some Kias) that a rather plain-looking cabin can have excellent, durable materials, and that some quite upscale and expensive vehicles may look nice inside but actually have El Cheapo materials underneath that surface glitter (the 1Gen Chrysler 300 and Buick Enclave are good examples).

Exactly. Germans have no understanding of good materials: all show, no substance. First they came with "premium plastics" that only looked (arguable) good when new, but after years of use are worthless, with texture pealing off (Audi A8 for example) while Japanese in general have plastics that hold well (durable) to wear and tear, and are easy to clean. Then Germans came with "gloss black", that looks high-end when clean, but feels thin an frail, prone to permanent scratches, and is always dirty with grease/human fat when used. Now Germans discovered "metal", usually plastic coated in satin finish aluminum, very easy solution, just cover everything with leather and metal, and that is luxury. Boooh!

SteVVT-i

Fan
Reactions
That would be a cool, unexpected twist. Not sure if it's possible at all, but would be neat.

I feel it holds up well against the S-class, which looks way too boisterous in a luxurious way. The LS on the other hand is very subtle and mature.

In this comparison between the LS500 and 7-series, I feel like it blows away the 7.
In terms of interiors, if anyone can match or surpass Benz its Lexus. Honestly neither interior blows each other away but after looking at the Benz and going to Lexus, I dont feel like Im missing anything. Benz is the strongest representation of German Lux as Lexus represents not only Lexus but Japanese hospitality in the same authenticity.... And to think this comes from Toyota! You cant say that about other brands. The industry will come to respect Toyota after 2017 is over