5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

mikeavelli

Reactions
Excitingly enough, looks like Lexus has an engine for the new IS F, one with TONS more torque than the comparable M3 and so much more than the old Lexus V8. A hot-rod version of this would likely go to the Fs, and expect an IS F that might have 0-60 times in the 3s.

Funny you mention that. The new TT-v-6 has the power of the old IS-F with more torque. I know apples to oranges but it's just a random footnote.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Also I must point out the fascination with the flush glass on the car is a little fanboyish, my 2007 Honda Legend has the same thing.

Is is not the same thing and not really close. I'm glad you posted here as I need pictures to help better explain.

Here is a 2007 Honda Legend (our Acura RL). The frameless glass is within the door completely. The window ends at the door. Yes this has been done a few times before and relatively easy compared to what Lexus just did.
pictures-of-honda-legend-iv-kb1-2007-205253.jpg

Here is the 2018 Lexus LS 500 rear window up close. Even the B-Pillar is flush. It gives it a very coupelike profile. Note how not just the window that drops down into the door is frameless but the window trim to the door and after the door into the C Pillar.

It's really a breathtaking piece of work.

32304085725_e34442ee44_h.jpg

Also note everyone how detailed the chrome trim is in the rear. Its not just the usual slab sided piece of chrome.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I assume there's some as-yet unannounced passenger-side infotainment system. Can anyone at NAIAS fill anything in on that?

Ian, good question will try to find out unless KREW knows...he's pretty pooped from recent extensive travel.

. On the upside, the doors and center console are, in my opinion, world class. I can see why this received the best interior award.

P.S. The "maturity" of the discussion (both positive and negative) on this site is why it's one of the only places on the internet where I bother reading comments.

White Bear....very good observation...one can do a 20 minute discussion on the doors alone. The attention to detail is insane. We could not share photos of the interior and it is a pre-production car. More to come soon.

Related I really got to inspect the LC interiors and they are also very well done and the doors are detailed. I saw a few things I didn't notice the first time.

Thanks for the compliments!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I understand that's the rationale that Lexus' new LS, BMW and Mercedes are using, but I guess I personally prefer the approach Lexus used with the NX 200t and Audi's (which uses the actual displacement in liters plus a "t" do denote boost in its badges beyond the A, Q or R model names) versus the arbitrary equivalencies. And now, at Lexus, "500" is just as likely to denote a 5-liter V8 as a 3.5-liter twin turbo V6. How do you tell them apart were Lexus to offer the 5-liter naturally aspirated V8 in the LS or the 3.5-liter twin turbo in the LC?

if your competitors are using it, you have to as well or your cars will look lesser...

For people who dont know anything about (these) cars LC500 and LS500 will tell them that they are roughly same speed and very fast (0-60 in 4.5s)... for people who know about cars, they will know exactly which is which.

If one was called LS350t and other LC500, impression to the customer would be that LC500 is much faster, which actually is not the case.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Is is not the same thing and not really close. I'm glad you posted here as I need pictures to help better explain.

Here is a 2007 Honda Legend (our Acura RL). The frameless glass is within the door completely. The window ends at the door. Yes this has been done a few times before and relatively easy compared to what Lexus just did.

Here is the 2018 Lexus LS 500 rear window up close. Even the B-Pillar is flush. It gives it a very coupelike profile. Note how not just the window that drops down into the door is frameless but the window trim to the door and after the door into the C Pillar.

Also note everyone how detailed the chrome trim is in the rear. Its not just the usual slab sided piece of chrome.

thanks Mike for great explanation.. wasnt sure what was it exactly but it looks breathtaking in real life pictures... this car will have to be seen to be appreciated properly since there are so many details that make it what it is.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Also I must point out the fascination with the flush glass on the car is a little fanboyish, my 2007 Honda Legend has the same thing.

Nothing fanboish. I did not know about the Honda Legend (very rare in Europe), but if true then yes Honda was the first, many years ago. Glad Lexus did that too.

It is actually the same thing, only that the Honda has a double trim. Both have no frameless windows.

As for Apple Car and Android Auto? Keep that spyware out of my car!!!

SteVVT-i

Fan
Reactions

I appreciate the frameless window however, the chrome piece around the window should have been uninterrupted. A better example of this execution is actually the 2017 Porsche Panamera which looks exactly like this.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions

I can see what you mean now.

Either way we are splitting hairs, it does get a little irritating when everyone is amazed by all this 'newness', my 2007 Legend also has adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist steering. Keep in mind the car actually came out in 2005 in Japan! The good old days when Honda actually tried I suppose. It even has four wheel drive that can deliver more power to individual wheels to pull it around a corner and make it handle amazingly well for a 2.3 ton car...something everyone thinks is space age with the latest NSX and Focus RS for instance...Where is that with this new LS? ;)

Another disclaimer...I'm not here to say how much better Honda are than Lexus...right now Honda suck ass and have given up with Acura brand and anything of interest in Europe, hence why I am looking to the future which I think will be a Lexus!

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
That back looks so good! I didn't think much about it but it looks great in video. The wheels look a little small because the LS is such a huge car.
Some wheel designs do have a smaller diameter, pretty sure this was a design in a smaller size.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here is a 2007 Honda Legend (our Acura RL). The frameless glass is within the door completely. The window ends at the door.

With many vehicles, that is done for reasons of reliability with the power-windows...less chance of a glass window-pane jumping or slipping out of its channel when going up or down, and having to be realigned.

I understand what you are getting at, but I'd describe it more as what, back in the 60s and 70s, we'd call a hardtop look rather than a coupe appearance. Back then, a true hard-top sedan had no B-pillars......the front and rear window panes (and edge-insulation) simply sealed up against each other when both windows are up (which often served as a focal point for rattles and squeaks). This latest style by Lexus is, of course, not quite the same thing, but apparently designed to mimic it with almost-invisible B-pillars.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Another disclaimer...I'm not here to say how much better Honda are than Lexus...right now Honda suck ass and have given up with Acura brand and anything of interest in Europe, hence why I am looking to the future which I think will be a Lexus!

A lot of us miss the mid-to-late 90s when Acura/Honda was on its game making really cool cars (and the Accord of that time was pretty sweet as well). We're car nuts too, not just Lexus enthusiasts.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I can see what you mean now.

Either way we are splitting hairs, it does get a little irritating when everyone is amazed by all this 'newness', my 2007 Legend also has adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist steering. Keep in mind the car actually came out in 2005 in Japan! The good old days when Honda actually tried I suppose. It even has four wheel drive that can deliver more power to individual wheels to pull it around a corner and make it handle amazingly well for a 2.3 ton car...something everyone thinks is space age with the latest NSX and Focus RS for instance...Where is that with this new LS? ;)

Thanks. I'm well versed in vehicles worldwide. :) Lexus explained to me in detail the trouble they went through with that particular part of the car. Maybe I am not communicating what they told me effectively or correctly. We never got all the tricks with the RL you got overseas with the Legend.

A lot of us miss the mid-to-late 90s when Acura/Honda was on its game making really cool cars (and the Accord of that time was pretty sweet as well). We're car nuts too, not just Lexus enthusiasts.

Indeed. People stuck in the 1990s/early 2000s waiting for some Honda revival are missing the memo the rest of the world has moved on.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
rydo said:
The good old days when Honda actually tried I suppose. It even has four wheel drive that can deliver more power to individual wheels to pull it around a corner and make it handle amazingly well for a 2.3 ton car...

Thanks. I'm well versed in vehicles worldwide. :) Lexus explained to me in detail the trouble they went through with that particular part of the car. Maybe I am not communicating what they told me effectively or correctly. We never got all the tricks with the RL you got overseas with the Legend.

If you two are referring to the SH-AWD system, then, yes, we did get that system, here in the U.S., as standard equipment on the 2nd-generation Acura RL (the one that you and I had a number of conversations and agreements/disagreements on a number of years ago, Mike) ;) Unfortunately, the standard SH-AWD system was not transferred to the third-generation of that car, the RLX.....FWD with all-wheel steering is now standard, with the SH-AWD as an optional higher-trim level.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Yes, for years, Honda/Acura styling and engineering went downhill, but their products remained precision-built like Swiss watches, with excellent-quality materials. Now, even that is starting to suffer some. Even the Honda Service Technicians (who make their living keeping these products running) say they are now using cheaper parts.

mikeavelli

Reactions
If you two are referring to the SH-AWD system, then, yes, we did get that system, here in the U.S., as standard equipment on the 2nd-generation Acura RL (the one that you and I had a number of conversations and agreements/disagreements on a number of years ago, Mike) ;) Unfortunately, the standard SH-AWD system was not transferred to the third-generation of that car, the RLX.....FWD with all-wheel steering is now standard, with the SH-AWD as an optional higher-trim level.

Yes I know how it all drives and works. And obviously I was right about the car but if people want to disagree, thats fine :D

Anywhoo, lets all move this back to the 2018 LS......

IMG_5542.JPG

James

Founding Member
Reactions
So I went and saw it at NAIAS. The LS looked spectacular honestly. For all out there that haven't seen it live I agree with everyone on here you have to see it live and in person before you make your opinion. The attention to detail and the sleek lines made it look great. Also once the LC rims are on it will look even better. Excited to hear about road reviews when we start to get those because let's be honest driving is a very important part of the car :).

mikeavelli

Reactions
Mike, did you see it in real life? How does it look?

Yes :) These are all my personal pictures. I will debut a Flickr Folder soon and another video. The first is below.

I'll start with that I don't like which is the rear 3/4 quarter. Not that its ugly but I am not in love with it. I love the size, its obvious this is a big car, you cannot confuse this with what people are currently saying "it looks like____". Especially the front. It is mind blowing how sculpted and curvaceous it is leading into the rest of the design. When I walked back to my LS F-Sport, it suddenly looked like a box. I'm driving a new BMW 740iL now and it also seems like a box in comparison. This is one super stylish car. I am completely positive it will be grand slam based on design alone.

Oh that reminds me, we have some comparison shots of the 2018 LS with a 2017 LS. Lexus Enthusiast ftw :)

Levi

Expert
Reactions
When I walked back to my LS F-Sport, it suddenly looked like a box.

I like "box", especially clean well proportioned like the first LS and the LS which is to be replaced.

Another point, made about the rear seats: those are three seats, not 2 individual seats that are optional in many cars. Previous/Current LS also has 3 and optional 2 individual seats. Maybe they will yet show the individual seats in the LS500h. It would be nice for next Land Cruiser/LX to also get 2 individual rear seats.

I would also like to remind, that good cars in this class lack folding rear seats. Thanks to a rear "firewall", the cabin is completely isolated, while also reinforcing the whole structure of the unibody. The result is uncompromising comfort. Tesla S can get a way with that (and frameless windows) thanks to BEV silence. But imagine BEV in an LS? That is what I wish the GS would be.