5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Reactions
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/01/qotd-whats-your-take-on-this-new-sporty-lexus-ls/
6. Whoever put the display model together wasn’t trying very hard

Look at the following picture.

Do you think Lexus of old would have displayed its flagship model with terrible trim fitment? That’s not even close to aligning, and it makes me sad. Of course, this is a pre-production model and not a definite indicator of finalized product, but either someone was rushing or didn’t give a crap — or perhaps both.

So there it is, on display: Lexus LS trim fitment that’s similar to a Ford Edge.

Reactions: Den
Reactions
There are some rational thinkers on all forums, but the majority of what is happening on the forum you mentioned is circlejerking (should be called GermanCarCirclejerk), and thus totally worthless.

The new LS500 is not perfect, maybe far from perfect, but the same goes for all the others (not an excuse). Don't forget cars are commercial, so they will never be perfect trying to appeal to a majority, and niche brands are only perfect for a minority. Want a perfect car? Have to build it. Can't build it? Have to deal with what is available, and for me it is TMC.

Have to hope the new LX will be better.

something which i find ironic since i joined GCF because it was one of the few places were the LFA wasnt hated

but then again one can expect a forum with that name to be biased towards german cars, just like we can expect everyone here to be biased towards lexus

Reactions
The S Class is a force to be reckoned with in this class, and probably always will be. However, it wasn't so long ago that the S Class and LS were always neck and neck, trading the first and second spots in numerous comparison tests throughout the years. The 7 Series was always the odd dog out, offering much more to the enthusiast driver in terms of sport and performance than the other two... but it had it's niche in the market.

Lexus neglected the LS for a decade and in that time, BMW has changed course to a much more "something for everyone" formula that has sacrificed their "ultimate driving machine" heritage for something softer. There is almost no better embodiment of this change in philosophy than the 7 Series, and I think BMW has paid dearly for it. The 7 Series is not nearly as luxurious or plush as the S Class or something like this LS, nor is it as sporting as it used to be... so they ride the middle ground, and I think that's turned out to be no man's land. Lavish luxury isn't really BMW's turf, and I think they've struggled to find their identity in this segment.

At the same time, after two generations of oddities and growing pains, Mercedes really delivered with the W222: stately, beautiful, upscale, great detailing, beautiful interior, top tech. There's no denying that this car is the default. My problem with the S Class is that I really dislike many of the interior design elements and don't feel like the interior and exterior design mesh well. Exterior, to me, is exactly what I would expect from a top tech Mercedes flagship. The interior... I feel like they tried to fit Maybach design details into the basic S Class as a cost saving/transition measure, and I don't think it worked. The standard 2 spoke steering wheel is hideous and the round AC vents are too traditional for the rest of the car, IMO. The execution and integration - or lack thereof - with the infotainment screen looks cheap to me. It looks like someone just sat a tablet on the dash and built a housing around it. Even with those nitpicks, the car stands out in this class and it should.

I had a hunch that Lexus wasn't directly going to challenge the S Class head on with the 5LS, and I think I was right. Let's be honest - Lexus spent a lot of years trying to build a better S Class at a value, and that was evident in different elements of the interior and exterior design, as well as packaging. I personally think that the 4th gen LS was the first sign of departure from the "Japanese S Class" philosophy - Lexus got confident in L-Finesse and decided to work in a different direction - SWB, LWB, hybrid, F Sport. 4LS was a huge growth period for the LS line. A lot has happened at Lexus since the 4LS debuted, and there's no doubt that many of those events greatly contributed to the delays for the 5LS. The IS F, LFA, F Sport, GS F, LC 500, GA-L, etc. Lexus is a completely different company now than they were a decade ago - they're confident in building cars that drive well and they have a somewhat clearer sense of identity.

With that said, I think the 5LS is the first time in a long time that Lexus can stand the LS on it's own two legs and say, "This is the Lexus LS," and have that mean something specific. It's not a cut rate Japanese S Class. It's not a wannabe sporty car with tacked on side skirts and a mesh grille. It's a completely unique proposition for a flagship. This is absolutely the car that Lexus had to build, and it sucks that it took a while to get here - but here we are. The most obvious proof in Lexus' confidence in their own execution is the engine: an all-new twin turbo V6 mated to the world's first 10-speed automatic. 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. Could Lexus have just easily dropped in the 5.0L V8 and called it a day? Yes, but that engine is short on torque and does not compare well in a straight line against the S Class and 7 Series. 442lb-ft of torque and 10 short gear ratios is going to make this car incredibly fast - probably as much so as the S550 and 750iL. Lexus engineered for performance - not for the spec sheet.

The second element that speaks volumes about the mission and development of this LS is the GA-L platform and suspension engineering. An all-new platform that employs Lexus' best thinking with a lower center of gravity. It's Lexus stiffest platform ever, and also wider, lighter and offers better weight distribution. An entirely new multi-link suspension with double ball joints, active stabilizer bars, Lexus dynamic handling, rear steering, adaptive suspension standard. We've got a good idea for how all of these elements work together because of the LC 500, but this is much more substantive thinking and engineering than we've ever seen before.

Third, look at this car inside and out. Many of us have been split on the exterior, and for good reason. I believe the 5LS is Lexus' most complex exterior design ever. While handsome, L-Finesse I was relatively clean and somewhat sterile; classic proportions and simple detailing, but it worked. L-Finesse II became very busy, and IMO, not in a good way. The spindle took over and Lexus began incorporating bizarre design elements that didn't quite work together. This LS seems to look both backward and forward, paying tribute to LS history while reinventing it for the future. Strong shoulder lines blend into curves at the front and back, the greenhouse cuts a swept back profile that's revolutionary for an LS, wide fenders set a stance that helps to push the wheels out to the corners and the front end makes a bold statement unlike any LS before. This is a very different type of car for Lexus. Inside, Lexus took the LFA's simplicity and ran with it - the inspiration is clear in the LC and now this LS. No more symmetry, no more waterfall dash, no more gated shifter, no more boundless wood trim and chrome. This is a new era that's heavily influenced by JAPANESE craftsmanship. This amount of Japanese identity and influence has never been as evident in a Lexus interior. It's clean, simple and beautiful with incredible detailing. It's not trying to be anything else. It's as much of a new frontier for Lexus and the LS as GA-L or any other element of this car.

While a lot of this probably reads like an advertorial, what I have realized about this car is that it's completely different from any LS before. This is probably more of a "restart" for the LS name than at any point prior. The segment has changed, buyer's tastes have changed and Lexus is now ready to deliver a car that sets the tone for the rest of the brand. This is a car that stands firmly on it's own two feet with it's own identity, without asking to be judged as anything different. Yes, there are parts of it that are unconventional, different and maybe shocking - but I think it has to be, and I think Lexus has delivered. Looking at the LC and now this LS, we are dealing with a completely different brand than at any other point in Lexus' 28-year history. It sounds dramatic, but I believe that we are looking at Lexus as a true Tier 1 brand for the first time. No excuses, no imitations.

the most complete analysis post yet
+1

Reactions
I think the new LS is a very attractive vehicle. There are a couple of things that jump out.

First of all, it seems from reading these comments that the lines/slats are a contentious point. I wasn't sure what I thought at first. They reminded me of an American luxury car from the 80's (Oldsmobile, perhaps). Now the more I look, the more I like them-- kind of like one of Tokyo's older luxury hotels, the Okura. When I first stayed there, I thought everything looked dated. Upon a second visit, I found myself marvelling over the clean lines and hidden details.

Another element of the car that made me go, "Hmmm..." is, as one other person mentioned, the clock. Maybe the pictures don't do it justice but in a 6-figure car, a beautiful clock in the middle of the dash just oozes class. I don't get that from this...yet. Maybe someone can let us know what it looks like in the flesh. On the upside, the doors and center console are, in my opinion, world class. I can see why this received the best interior award.

Engine? Well, if they're able to make a TT V6 that beats a V8 in all of their required metrics, so be it. I don't think anyone who test drives the car-- a large vehicle with a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds-- will label the 415 horses as inadequate. But, some people will always want more cylinders and I agree that this will turn those people away initially. That said, I don't think Lexus will have any issues with sales of this car. It's not as drool-worthy as the FC, but it's still gorgeous.

Thanks.

P.S. The "maturity" of the discussion (both positive and negative) on this site is why it's one of the only places on the internet where I bother reading comments.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
It's really lost a lot of class compared to previous LS series cars. So many useless style lines on the grill, body and especially the dash. It looks a bit cheap. I guess Lexus designers want youth appeal (as if the IS products weren't enough). BMW tried this a while ago and alienated customers. Remember the BMW 7-Series sedan with the trunk they called the "Bangle Butt" after the designer? They had to smooth out the creases and corners to get 7 series buyers back. Maybe "LS" now stands for "Line Style"

Wow so wanting your products to be more emotional and appealing to young people make it "cheap"?

I see more Lexus F-Sports than non, driving around the streets. The IS, GS, RX are doing great with the F-sport package and new radical styling. Hate all you want but numbers are good. Dec. 2016 RX sales topped Dec. 2015 (right when 4RX was released) by 30%. When the more aggressive GX spindle styling came out a while ago, numbers literally spiked and put out sales numbers the GS would be envious of today.

Lexus has clearly signaled that they're embracing a younger base of buyers at the expense of older, classic, and boring buyers. It doesn't mean they're distasteful, it just means they know the meaning of adaptation. The market is fluid and the market doesn't care about silly corporations like Lexus or failed entities like Motorola or Blockbuster video. The market goes where the buyers go and if corporations fail to adapt, they will be forgotten, even if their parent company is Toyota.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's been a couple of days and I feel no better about being swerved by Lexus on the concept. The concept shouldn't have been sent out if it had nothing to do with the production car. This car looks weak and lacks every ounce of presence the LF-FC had. The car is two cylinders short and the interior graphics on the dash look like a nightmare compared to the incredible infotainment Mercedes brought to mark. A huge disappointment that will reflect in sales after 2018. It's sales will sink like a stone, and Mercedes execs are smiling from ear-to-ear right now.

It's almost as if some bean-counter did an analysis on the clearer better design last year and said "We can't afford to make it look THIS good!" and Lexus went to Plan B, which is weak sauce, in comparison. This car looks like a rough draft of the next LS, and they picked it back up off the cutting room floor a few months ago.

What a shame, the fact that Lexus showed last year they COULD be better than this, but chose not to be. Last year, I was getting Filet Mignon. This year, Filet-O-Fish? Bait-and-switch. Not cool.
BD

BD, with all due respect, you're reaching pretty far into the future here - sales will "sink like a stone" after 2018, Mercedes execs "smiling from ear to ear", dash is a "nightmare," car is "weak."

Your post contains a lot of drama and it's clear that you're feeling burned, but if the LS runs with or faster than the S and 7, nobody is going to call this engine underpowered or lament the loss of a V8. Lexus specifically went to great lengths to improve NVH and harshness, so I have a feeling this new V6 is going to end up even smoother than the 2UR-FSE. I don't really know how you drive, but for most intents and purposes, torque is what makes a car feel fast on the street. The 2UR-FSE is too torque deficient to fight fair and square with the S550 and 750iL. If this new engine is smoother, quieter, faster and pulls harder, then why does it matter how many cylinders it has?

I know you've been around a while and are a long time Lexus fan... not sure why you're so upset about the translation from LF-FC to LS 500. Concept cars never make it to production unscathed for a number of reasons. I actually think the LS 500 looks a good bit like the LF-FC, maybe 80% or so. That's what I expected, and with the help of Carmaker1 and others, we had plenty of indications of what to expect.

Last edited:

RichieRich

Founding Member
Reactions
I actually think the LS 500 looks a good bit like the LF-FC, maybe 80% or so. That's what I expected, and with the help of Carmaker1 and others, we had plenty of indications of what to expect
I see the same thing Gecko, The rear end is the only part of the car that didn't look like the LF-LC to me. The Car as a Whole is pretty much what I expected it to look like.

I wanted/expected a V8 to be in the LS500, at least as an option,but with the numbers the V6 TT is putting out, the smoothness/response they are saying it produces, I'm not disappointed.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I still feel ambivalent about some of the 5LS' exterior and interior styling cues, and wish they hadn't fallen into the German (and Lexus' own hybrid) inflated number naming conventions. (Why not just call it an LS 350t? It would be so much more honest). Yet, when I saw the new LS drive away at the end of one of the official videos, I had an epiphany of sorts: Lexus is going its own way and marching to its own drummer in the upper executive car segment. The LC could've been a mundane, conservative coupe inspired by the BMW 6-Series or Mercedes' E and S-Class coupes. Instead, the concept, design and even the front-midship engine placement aimed directly at Maserati and Aston Martin. With the 5LS, Lexus' aim was less the conservative S-Class/7-Series/A8 triad and more the Porsche Panamera. Sure, the 5LS isn't a hatchback, but the new LS is unique in marrying an executive, chauffeur-worthy interior (still with optional reclining seat ottoman on the passenger side) with 4-door coupesque styling. Does it look a bit hunchbacked in the process? Yes, but so did the 1st-gen Panamera. The latter's styling only became truly lustworthy with the 2nd generation. Perhaps the 5LS may be the perfect S-Class/Panamera best-of-all-worlds mashups as a driving experience, one that may make us overlook all its aesthetic foibles.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@mikeavelli thanks for the video. I can't wait to see more.

Seriously guys... LOOK HOW MUCH BETTER THIS CAR LOOKS WITH A (somewhat) RESPECTABLE PAIR OF RIMS.

15977228_10103236784185567_1583916107037245990_n.jpg

Serpens

Fan
Reactions
I still can't get over the side profile of this car. Everything else looks great.

Yes, comparatively the VAG execution is quite crude and outdated, as seen here in the "luxurious" Audi Q7.

While I agree the Lexus solution is far more artful, there's no reason to put the Audi's interior in quotes. That's one of the best interiors in its class; it's actually very well done, as is the Q7 in general. Shame about that exterior though...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
While I agree the Lexus solution is far more artful, there's no reason to put the Audi's interior in quotes. That's one of the best interiors in its class; it's actually very well done, as is the Q7 in general. Shame about that exterior though...

I know it's a matter for another thread, but surprised that anyone thinks the Q7 interior is anything close to best in class. Only Audi could get away with that much black plastic and not be heckled for it.

Serpens

Fan
Reactions
I know it's a matter for another thread, but surprised that anyone thinks the Q7 interior is anything close to best in class. Only Audi could get away with that much black plastic and not be heckled for it.

Have you been in other cars in that class? Not uncommon-GX460, GLE-class, X5, RR Sport all have plenty of plastic. Even the XC90 does, although that is my favorite in the class.

I think that's one of the most interesting elements of the full-size sedan class these days. Cars like the LS500, S-class, 7-series, etc. that start in the $80k-$90k range don't yet have SUV equivalents that start at the same prices, so their interiors are usually much nicer.

I can't wait to see the pricing of the LS500. I really hope Lexus charges a premium compared to the LS460, as I think it's about time they priced the car for its worth.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
It's been a couple of days and I feel no better about being swerved by Lexus on the concept. The concept shouldn't have been sent out if it had nothing to do with the production car. This car looks weak and lacks every ounce of presence the LF-FC had.
BD

I see some people have been spoiled rotten by the LC and thus expects every production Lexus car to look like it's concept version.

I really don't think its a reasonable expectation to have. Concepts are meant to be forward looking exercises in design. Some results are more realistic than others. The LS concept had hologram technology, do you expect in-car hologram wave sensing technology in late 2017 too?

Or should Lexus just have given up on that part of the concept simply because you believe, "The concept shouldn't have been sent out if it had nothing to do with the production car".

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
and wish they hadn't fallen into the German (and Lexus' own hybrid) inflated number naming conventions. (Why not just call it an LS 350t? It would be so much more honest)
The number 500 gives the illusion that the car is much more powerful and prestigious than saying 350. If we had the number 350, that would look bad IMO because it would seem like it has the same engine in the IS. 500 makes more sense because it has the power of a 5 liter V8 but in reality it is a 3.5 liter TTV6

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The number 500 gives the illusion that the car is much more powerful and prestigious than saying 350. If we had the number 350, that would look bad IMO because it would seem like it has the same engine in the IS. 500 makes more sense because it has the power of a 5 liter V8 but in reality it is a 3.5 liter TTV6
I understand that's the rationale that Lexus' new LS, BMW and Mercedes are using, but I guess I personally prefer the approach Lexus used with the NX 200t and Audi's (which uses the actual displacement in liters plus a "t" do denote boost in its badges beyond the A, Q or R model names) versus the arbitrary equivalencies. And now, at Lexus, "500" is just as likely to denote a 5-liter V8 as a 3.5-liter twin turbo V6. How do you tell them apart were Lexus to offer the 5-liter naturally aspirated V8 in the LS or the 3.5-liter twin turbo in the LC?

SteVVT-i

Fan
Reactions
I see some people have been spoiled rotten by the LC and thus expects every production Lexus car to look like it's concept version.

I really don't think its a reasonable expectation to have. Concepts are meant to be forward looking exercises in design. Some results are more realistic than others. The LS concept had hologram technology, do you expect in-car hologram wave sensing technology in late 2017 too?

Or should Lexus just have given up on that part of the concept simply because you believe, "The concept shouldn't have been sent out if it had nothing to do with the production car".
I will admit Im disappointed the FC didnt translate directly into production like the LC as I expected. However I must say Im not disappointed in this execution. After a few days of studying the design, Im falling in love. I can only imagine it looks better in person and in other colors (deep blue, white, black)

mikeavelli

Reactions
It's stunning in person. It's a complete 180 from past designs. The box look that was made curvy is now a stylistic knock-out.

You have to see it in person. Especially the front and side. The rear is my least favorite part.

More to come :) KREW will chime in as well.

#lexuslens
IMG_7961.JPG

Last edited: