2018 LS Master Thread (Debuts 1/9/17 8:30am -2017 NAIAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OOT

Reactions
I like these new photos and the details they reveal prove to me that the LS% will remain very faithful to the LF-LC Concept, which is a great thing.
The closer the LS5 is to the concept, the better it will do. The world wants Lexus to go bold, and the prestige luxury class NEEDS Lexus to.
BD

I partly disagree. I thought the best part of the LF-FC concept car was the corner shape between the rear pillar and the kink of the rear door. It was a very unique dynamic and muscular shape as the kink is slightly convex rather than the typical straight/concave. Unfortunately that beautiful section has been watered down and the spy photos confirm the Best Car rendering which shows a conventional rounder shape rear passenger section used by many car makers.
It also appears that the rear pillar is very thick with a blacked out false window much like the current Camry - it looks cheap. If that is the case then a major essence of the concept car has been lost. They should have left that part of the car untouched! It could have been used as a signature Lexus rear pillar design, a like a more modern dynamic alternative to the BMW pillar.
Lexus, please change the rear pillar and rear door back to the concept car!!

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I'm sorry, but these are not particularly "new" photos. These were actually posted by Motor1 on December 1st and I think you might've written an article on them IIRC?

I like these new photos and the details they reveal prove to me that the LS% will remain very faithful to the LF-LC Concept, which is a great thing.
The closer the LS5 is to the concept, the better it will do. The world wants Lexus to go bold, and the prestige luxury class NEEDS Lexus to.
BD

At the risk of repeating myself, I have said enough times "faithful to the concept" assertions and other alike terminology are incorrect, as it wrongly implies that Toyota developed the LS design directly off of the LF-FC concept, which is not the case.

The very reason the LC took so long to arrive as it was barely in the early stages as 950A back in late 2011-early 2012 seen and essentially from scratch, not over 60% done like the LS (200B) by October 2015.

At this point, that general idea of production to concept vs concept to production is rather obvious and dismissing that reality is self-defeating. Like the LF-NX, the LF-FC only bears similarity. Facelifts or future higher end versions bridge the gap in any differences.

Reactions
I partly disagree. I thought the best part of the LF-FC concept car was the corner shape between the rear pillar and the kink of the rear door. It was a very unique dynamic and muscular shape as the kink is slightly convex rather than the typical straight/concave. Unfortunately that beautiful section has been watered down and the spy photos confirm the Best Car rendering which shows a conventional rounder shape rear passenger section used by many car makers.

Somehow I am optimistic about that. Of course there may be some noticeable differences between the production model and the LF-FC, but somehow I think the window shape of the two will not be that different. Lexus has successful records of deceiving our eyes with its cunning camouflage (as in the case of the LC) and I have to think that this time again the camouflage just works very well with the 5LS.

2017-lexus-lc-500-prototype.jpeg

The LC prototype. Hard to predict the now apparent sculptural side profile from this disguise, which I think will be the case with the 5LS.

I think not all the details in the Best Car rendering is correct. For example, the Best Car's 5LS rendering has a pillar in the rear window, but that of the prototype seen in the spy photos are maybe fake. (See pictures below)

16-10-31-lexus-ls-best-car-rendering.jpg

The Best Car's 5LS rendering

Lexus-LS-009.jpg

There is a pillar in the rear window(picture above) but...

2018-lexus-ls-spy-photos.jpg

this prototype has no pillar in the rear window.

It also appears that the rear pillar is very thick with a blacked out false window much like the current Camry - it looks cheap. If that is the case then a major essence of the concept car has been lost. They should have left that part of the car untouched! It could have been used as a signature Lexus rear pillar design, a like a more modern dynamic alternative to the BMW pillar.
Lexus, please change the rear pillar and rear door back to the concept car!!

Also, in regards to “a blacked out false window much like the current camry”, I think this is not the case with the 5LS and there are “actual” rear quarter windows just like audi A8. Take a closer look at the inside the rear of the cabin of the prototype seen in the spy photo below, and I think I can see that there is something that covers/hides the space where the rear quarter window should be (but I can't see the reason to hide it.)
Lexus-LS-006.jpg

Last edited:

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Double panel rear window on bottom picture is real. The single panel window on the picture above it does not go down most likely.

The best case scenario: frame is not as thick as it's on the image once they show it in production trim.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Talking about GS is off the topic in this thread so I'm not going to dig deep into it, but I heard the rumor from again reliable information provider that either GS or ES (he wouldn't tell me what it specifically is) will disappear from Lexus lineup. Considering its sales slump and difficulty in positioning itself in the lineup, I suspect it will be GS. But this is JUST a rumor and uncertain, so for now I strongly hope this is never gonna happen.

There is strong truth to this rumour, as Japanese and Taiwanese media are now reporting this. It seems Toyota is at the same exact place they were 7 years ago with the 4GS oddly enough. What is seriously wrong with the GS, that they can never get the market right with it? The current GS was almost canned, even after styling approval. I am really going take your word as gospel from here on out, not that I ever doubted you as being reputable.

It is definitely true that the next ES will be going forward, as admin Mike reported on it being shown already to people in Fuji.

VooDooXT

Premium Member
Reactions
There is strong truth to this rumour, as Japanese and Taiwanese media are now reporting this. It seems Toyota is at the same exact place they were 7 years ago with the 4GS oddly enough. What is seriously wrong with the GS, that they can never get the market right with it? The current GS was almost canned, even after styling approval. I am really going take your word as gospel from here on out, not that I ever doubted you as being reputable.

It is definitely true that the next ES will be going forward, as admin Mike reported on it being shown already to people in Fuji.

4GS is a great car. I hope it won't happen. :sob:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
4GS is a great car. I hope it won't happen. :sob:
The 4GS will complete its lifecycle in 2018, then go the way of the ISF, so not to worry about that. Someone is mad, likely Toyoda himself as he tried to cancel the 4GS program in 2009. He didn't like the styling they had approved and felt it would be a lame duck for many reasons, expressing they didn't really need the GS anymore.

Once again Toyota parent management and Lexus brand directors have failed to maintain momentum throughout a product's lifecycle. The LS had an extended lifecycle, but could've easily been discontinued in 2012-13. The rear styling changes for MY2016 were unimpressive and facelift overall underwhelming. The fascia was meant to bring it more inline with the lf-gh.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
The 4GS will complete its lifecycle in 2018, then go the way of the ISF, so not to worry about that. Someone is mad, likely Toyoda himself as he tried to cancel the 4GS program in 2009. He didn't like the styling they had approved and felt it would be a lame duck for many reasons, expressing they didn't really need the GS anymore.

Once again Toyota parent management and Lexus brand directors have failed to maintain momentum throughout a product's lifecycle. The LS had an extended lifecycle, but could've easily been discontinued in 2012-13. The rear styling changes for MY2016 were unimpressive and facelift overall underwhelming. The fascia was meant to bring it more inline with the lf-gh.

I think cancelling the GS doesn't make sense, since they will develop next generations of TOYOTA MARK X and TOYOTA CROWN, and the GS is LEXUS version of these two, so there are no high development expenses for the GS if they already make new MARK X and CROWN !

Anyway, we all now waiting for 5LS and just 1 week to go, I'm so excited about it ..

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not to hijack this thread, but man... GS has been my all-time favorite Lexus model, followed by the GX.

If those two models go away, my best days with Lexus are truly behind me.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
Not to hijack this thread, but man... GS has been my all-time favorite Lexus model, followed by the GX.

The feeling is mutual, but I don't care for the GX!

Levi

Expert
Reactions

The potential is there, but the execution is rather poor unfortunately. GS and GX class (same goes for 5 Series/X5, E/GLE) are a perfect balance of luxury and usefulness for the above average person. GX needed a Diesel however, and not a 3.0l I4 with 170 PS as the Prado.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hey everyone, exciting times, the LS debuts this Monday morning. KREW will be in the house to provide us with the best Lexus coverage. There are also some other really cool developments we can't mention at this time but our awesome members of TLE will be among the first gain this exclusive content!!

I will now sticky this to the top, when the LS debuts the title will be edited.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Hey everyone, exciting times, the LS debuts this Monday morning. KREW will be in the house to provide us with the best Lexus coverage. There are also some other really cool developments we can't mention at this time but our awesome members of TLE will be among the first gain this exclusive content!!

I will now sticky this to the top, when the LS debuts the title will be edited.
When will it be revealed? I hope its not gonna be when I'm at school :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.