2018 LS Master Thread (Debuts 1/9/17 8:30am -2017 NAIAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-02-15-lexus-lf-fc-front.jpg

Lexus International executive vice-president Mark Templin shared a couple details on the next-generation LS in a WardsAuto interview.
View the original article post

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
So it's two years away.
The LS is gonna get murdered in the market until then, with the new S and 7 out there, and Cadillac starting to venture into the field from below.

One thing I think Lexus will do is do away with the traditional rearview mirror.
I think a camera projection will appear on the top of the windshield.
They may do away with side mirrors too for cameras.
Just a hunch.
BD

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
A8 is due by the 2nd half of this year or the 1st half of 2017
this purely not good from Lexus as if they wanna kill the LS name
same as they did before with the SC :(

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
So it's two years away. The LS is gonna get murdered in the market until then, with the new S and 7 out there, and Cadillac starting to venture into the field from below.

Hard to argue with this -- it's all starting to remind me of the delays with the LFA when they moved from aluminum to carbon fiber. Must have been some pretty major changes to the LS, as I can't think this is a strategic move to space out model launches.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
I'm sorry but Lexus is losing a lot of mindshare in the luxury field by delaying the LS more and more. With Tesla becoming a new up and coming brand in this segment, and MB/BMW/Audi all developing their flagship cars at a faster pace and at a higher quality: Lexus is hurting their brand at the higher end. It already suffers in perception against the Germans, and having no new / fresh flagship car means losing prestige and mindshare to these other brands. Lexus is pretty lucky to have the LC coming in as a stopgap, but I think the over 10-12 years of wait for a new flagship sedan will stunt their (good) worldwide growth. The LS better be amazing at this point.

By 2018, we will probably see mules of the next generation S class.

Reactions
I really hope the new tech isn't hand gesture control,
I have never encountered anything so pointless that so many car companies have jumped on a must have scenario. Voice control is better but still many people don't use as trying to remember the exact commands needed is a challenge.

First they move controls to the steering wheel to improve safety but now suddenly they want you waving your hands around the car to adjust the volume.......seriously?!

How about adding something useful like the option of built in front / rear dashcams properly integrated to systems.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Have to agree with the thread, why so long? A new S class will be on the starting grid by then. I think Toyota need to shake themselves even when they are late to the party like with the GS F it still comes second/third to Bmw and Merc, why? They tackled this specific section of the market i.e. sports model deluxe and then make it slower than the existing class leaders. I have heard all the stories that it is cheaper and has more of this and that, Lexus failed in what they set their sights on and this is disappointing to all Lexus owners.
Very disappointed in this latest delay and I say this as a loyal Lexus owner (2) of ten years standing (and will buy another no doubt), but if this site is to be useful then give honest and positive criticism and use it to assist Lexus - and not just mindlessly endorse everything as wonderful.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm sorry but Lexus is losing a lot of mindshare in the luxury field by delaying the LS more and more. With Tesla becoming a new up and coming brand in this segment, and MB/BMW/Audi all developing their flagship cars at a faster pace and at a higher quality: Lexus is hurting their brand at the higher end. It already suffers in perception against the Germans, and having no new / fresh flagship car means losing prestige and mindshare to these other brands. Lexus is pretty lucky to have the LC coming in as a stopgap, but I think the over 10-12 years of wait for a new flagship sedan will stunt their (good) worldwide growth. The LS better be amazing at this point.

By 2018, we will probably see mules of the next generation S class.

It is really hard to understand why would you think that Lexus is losing mindshare when they just introduced LC, which is way more luxurious than LS has ever been.

There is no growth to be found in large luxury sedan market, what would help them out with growth is new unibody based TX that starts at $60k-$70k and goes all the way up to $90k.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I agree with what everyone is saying and hope Lexus does read this and while Lexus has taken way too long in the next LS it is a little late to complain about it. I mean they aren't going to speed up production or anything with the LS. It will come when it comes and while we are all upset with the wait the best we can do is now hope that the next LS will destroy the competition and make the wait seem less long...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Very disappointed in this latest delay and I say this as a loyal Lexus owner (2) of ten years standing (and will buy another no doubt), but if this site is to be useful then give honest and positive criticism and use it to assist Lexus - and not just mindlessly endorse everything as wonderful.

Not sure what you're saying here, but I always try to stay neutral when reporting the news. I leave the "honest and positive criticism" to you and all other members, and will publish editorials when I feel strongly about a particular topic.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Have to agree with the thread, why so long? A new S class will be on the starting grid by then. I think Toyota need to shake themselves even when they are late to the party like with the GS F it still comes second/third to Bmw and Merc, why? They tackled this specific section of the market i.e. sports model deluxe and then make it slower than the existing class leaders. I have heard all the stories that it is cheaper and has more of this and that, Lexus failed in what they set their sights on and this is disappointing to all Lexus owners.

I guess to me there isn't much to criticize as it would be beating a dead horse. :) We all know the LS is long in the tooth and is on its last legs but if you look at sales figures here in the states, it still sells #2/#3 most months. The substantial refresh gave it enough legs until this all new model arrives.

As a LS F-Sport owner I'm well aware of its deficiencies when I drive a S550, S63, S8 etc. Hopefully with the next LS, they are clearly addressed and the LS is considered among the top of the heap again.

On a related note, the Flagship market has completely changed. This used to be a market dominated by the S-class, LS and 7-series. Now the A8 has gotten better. We now have the Panamera and updated XJ and Maserati Quattroporte. We have even the Hyundia/Kia cars. In addition, we have cars like the A 7/CLS/6 Gran Coupe that are priced in this same area and likely took some sales.

Thus from everything I have heard, the new LS will be boldly different than years past, where Lexus knows it will alienate a lot of past LS customers. Which means they are hard at work on the next GS to try to keep some people there.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I keep hearing a lot about alienating past Lexus consumers. With the drastic change of Lexus how much has it hurt them? Their sales numbers look great and I feel most are loving the agressiveness. Are a lot of current consumers going elsewhere?

mikeavelli

Reactions
I keep hearing a lot about alienating past Lexus consumers. With the drastic change of Lexus how much has it hurt them? Their sales numbers look great and I feel most are loving the agressiveness. Are a lot of current consumers going elsewhere?

Well as you stated sales are great so can assume core buyers have moved into the new striking styled Lexus and they have gotten more conquest buyers. Contrarily there are those Lexus loyalists that do not like the new styling and are waiting for something more calm or have moved on. Many here have posted they are not buying a new one. You also have some people that don't want a 4 cylinder and prefer a 6 cylinder so they are sticking to older models.

In my field I've never heard so much interest and comments about Lexus before and it has been the styling that has been the catalyst. The majority of commentary are from people who never owned a Lexus or ever considered one. Now I hear comments like "wow I would rock a NX" or "the RC F looks great". I would think my experience is echoed by many here.

I believe it was ten years ago when wheels were being set in motion when I remember an article from a Lexus executive stating something to the effect "we will try our best to appease current loyal Lexus owners while reaching out to new ones but we cannot be held back anymore into just being safe and appealing to the same people".

autowp.ru_lexus_ls400_us-spec_32.jpg

35130781997-Lexus-LS400-front.jpg

1998056_2001_LS430_front-prv.jpg

440px-Lexus_LS_460_front_fascia_profile.jpg

12-07-25-2013-lexus-ls-front.jpg

16-02-15-lexus-lf-fc-front.jpg

As I just searched and posted these pics, I am stunned at the transformation of the front end of the LS from harmless to wants to eat your baby :D

Reactions
I understand that LS is a the traditional flagship of Lexus, even a symbol in many loyal customers' minds. However, the market has changed. The whole sector is declining. Probably more so in coming years. It would not be another great success like LS400 no matter how much the efforts to put in. Why not save some resource to make a flagship unibody SUV instead?

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Not sure what you're saying here, but I always try to stay neutral when reporting the news. I leave the "honest and positive criticism" to you and all other members, and will publish editorials when I feel strongly about a particular topic.
Hi Krew - all I am saying is that as Lexus owners we are privileged to have this site so please can the contributors use it intelligently, in the past I have criticized in an uncalled for personal way when pointing out a dissatisfaction over a certain model. Certain contributors do not apply their minds, and treat it like a 'Hurray for Lexus' site and I believe it is much more than that, and that Lexus actually do take some note of what is written here. So let's go short on insulting remarks and enjoy and use the site with the intelligence shown by being a Lexus supporter/owner in the first place.
Well done on your excellent and continuous work and I assure you there is certainly no criticism directed at you.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
A two year wait for the LS is definitely a killer in terms of the LS's market share. As far as a new flagship piece, the LC will bridge that gap and give customers a taste of what's to come. The was the LC was received in Detroit and how I think the hybrid version will be received in Geneva will keep anticipation high. Besides the more S-classes and 7-series that sell between now and then means there will be so many more people to trade out of them ;)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Hi Krew - all I am saying is that as Lexus owners we are privileged to have this site so please can the contributors use it intelligently, in the past I have criticized in an uncalled for personal way when pointing out a dissatisfaction over a certain model. Certain contributors do not apply their minds, and treat it like a 'Hurray for Lexus' site and I believe it is much more than that, and that Lexus actually do take some note of what is written here. So let's go short on insulting remarks and enjoy and use the site with the intelligence shown by being a Lexus supporter/owner in the first place.
Well done on your excellent and continuous work and I assure you there is certainly no criticism directed at you.

Always easy to misunderstand comments on the Internet! :D Thanks for clarifying, and I look forward to discussing the next-gen LS for the next couple years. :sob:;)

mikeavelli

Reactions
I understand that LS is a the traditional flagship of Lexus, even a symbol in many loyal customers' minds. However, the market has changed. The whole sector is declining. Probably more so in coming years. It would not be another great success like LS400 no matter how much the efforts to put in. Why not save some resource to make a flagship unibody SUV instead?

Which is why the next LS won't be so "traditional" :). The market is still strong in various markets and an updated LS might be able to take things back up a notch in regards to sales. Another thing the LS does not offer is small engines. The Germans offer everything from I-4 to twin turbo V-12s while Lexus offers two V-8s, one in a special order only hybrid.

It sounds like Lexus is investing heavily in the LS, no need to save resources with the balance sheet of Toyota :)

Status
Not open for further replies.