The new BMW 7 Series and i7

Motor

Expert
Reactions
With the all-electric BMW i7, the Bavarian premium automobile manufacturer is expanding its range of locally emission-free vehicles to the exclusive segment of its top-of-the-range models. "The new BMW 7 Series is absolutely trail-blazing in every respect. Like no other model, the BMW 7 Series stands for BMW's innovative strength," says Weber. "The all-electric BMW i7 is also the most powerful BMW 7 Series. It combines the best driving experience with the ultimate digital experience. This makes it the ideal vehicle for forward-thinking, responsible decision-makers and avant-garde pioneers."

Attachments

• 1647447288748.jpeg
    1647447288748.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
1647449993824.png

Brightened up image. This won't be beautiful or pretty for sure. But, it will be very bold, imposing, and upright, something that IMO buyers in this segment look for, as I said in another forum. Stately and upright like the Rolls Royce it will be.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Side note of course, i wonder if the front end besides a design point adds some technical value. I remember reading a Lexus Europe interview where the journo asked about why they went to the predator face, and the answer was that it not only was a designe element, but also a technical necessity with aero and cooling.

Wonder with the launch of this model, BMW PR will be using the same justification (whether valid or not is a whole other argument).

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Side note of course, i wonder if the front end besides a design point adds some technical value. I remember reading a Lexus Europe interview where the journo asked about why they went to the predator face, and the answer was that it not only was a designe element, but also a technical necessity with aero and cooling.

Wonder with the launch of this model, BMW PR will be using the same justification (whether valid or not is a whole other argument).
The original spindle grille was purely a styling exercise. All it did was join the upper and lower grilles within a single frame but what previously separated the two grilles -- the bumper -- was merely moved behind the latticework of the grille (the bumper cannot be eliminated), and no extra opening area was created.

This is easily seen on the evolution of the CT 200h.

The 2011 model had a vague spindle outline but still had the separate upper and lower grilles (picture courtesy of Wikipedia).
1024px-LEXUS_CT200h_Japan_2011_front.JPG

The 2017 model, though, has the now-recognizable spindle shape. In this picture (courtesy of C/D), it is evident that the bumper is still there but hidden behind the latticework. The grille itself is larger but the actual opening for cooling has changed little, if any.
0319140551302014-lexus-ct-200h-010-1550088693.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Interior looked cool from the teaser video. I hope BMW finally gets the 7er formula right because it feels to me like they've been soul searching since the E38... but that front end is not a great start.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The original spindle grille was purely a styling exercise. All it did was join the upper and lower grilles within a single frame but what previously separated the two grilles -- the bumper -- was merely moved behind the latticework of the grille (the bumper cannot be eliminated), and no extra opening area was created.

This is easily seen on the evolution of the CT 200h.

The 2011 model had a vague spindle outline but still had the separate upper and lower grilles (picture courtesy of Wikipedia).
View attachment 5642

The 2017 model, though, has the now-recognizable spindle shape. In this picture (courtesy of C/D), it is evident that the bumper is still there but hidden behind the latticework. The grille itself is larger but the actual opening for cooling has changed little, if any.
View attachment 5643

Lexus global design chief Simon Humphries
The spindle grille – we originally developed that to encompass the needs for a radiator, but also for aerodynamic brake cooling. So function was all built into it. But the radiator is the symbol for an internal combustion engine. So what the future holds, in my mind, is that we have to develop it, evolve it to encompass sensors. In other words, we talked about autonomy, safety, all those types of things based on sensors. So what will happen to the spindle grille is that it will represent that shift and the spindle grille will become the spindle body. So the body of the car is the spindle, if you like. And into that the functional elements to drive, to control the future will be part of that movement. So, in the past, it was a hole to put air into the radiator. In the future, it’s going to hold sensors and other functional elements of the future cars. So don’t worry, it’s not going to disappear. But it’s going to change
Its interesting to hear both sides to this.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The issue wirh the 7 and even LS now is to exploit their sporty virtues you gotta drive it hard. Well no one in this class does that. Which means it has to win on other merits. The S class understands this. A Panamera driver will drive hard. Thus the 7 is just there. Mind you I love the current 7 especially before the facelift.

M3/M4 styling hasn’t grown on me. It’s ugly all around. Not sure someone buying a z7 series now wants to be known as the ugly car person.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
"All-new V8, estimated to be 550hp"

200.gif

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It can't be comfortable looking up into a screen during long distance rides...

LM/Alphard already beats it with a much more useful 40" TV that allows you to connect to smart TV sticks. With a better seating angle and much more legroom. Try harder BMW.
R.jpg

And there are plenty of mod shops in China that upgrade the rear TV to 85" with Karaoke if you think that's not enough.
a1.jpg
a2.jpg

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I guess with a face that only a mother can love on the LM/Alpha yes BMW has lost. For what its worth the BMW is impressive, nothing like this from the LS, S, or A8L.