Official 2016 BMW 7 Series Thread

Och

Admirer
Reactions
...........and even the current one, IMO, sure looks a lot better than the one Chris Bangle screwed up almost 15 years ago.

DSC_1408.jpg

I had one of those, and yes it was pretty bad. The reliability was terrible, but first generation i-drive was worse than anything else I've ever used. It's hard to believe that i-drive has improved to the point where I can barely tolerate to use anything else.

I have no problem with the way the current one looks, but it's once again shaping out to be a reliability disaster. These BMW twin turbo V8 engines are having major injector trouble (search N63 engine CCP) in every car that they are installed, plus oil consumption issues and electronic issues. My X5 with that engine just had all injectors plus a bunch of other sensors replaced with only 17k miles, and literally the next day BMW released a follow up campaign where they are now replacing fuel pumps as well.

And given that a lot of German cars get their parts (injectors, pumps, etc) from the same suppliers such as Bosch it's no wonder they are all affected with similar issues. They stuff all this latest tech into their cars without proper long term testing.

All of that however will not matter to those who lease these cars new. It's nice to be surrounded by all this latest technology, and this new 7 is packed with it.

Reactions: RAL

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Both 2016 BMW 7 Series threads now merged and title updated :).

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I like the new 7-Series, but I can confirm that both Jaguar and Lexus will surpass it. Lexus people have targeted the S-Class (proof exists of that) and I definitely know of our own targets. The X351 update (I contributed to in late 2013) for MY2016 will only tide the XJ over for the next few years, when the G11/12 7-Series will be properly obliterated by us...

The V12 powered 7er will arrive next year of course and will be offered to US customers for the 2017 model year as the 760i (G12). This was not confirmed to me, but to my mother.

There are already some leaked pics out there of the new 7 Series on other forums...and let me just say, it doesn't look that impressive. As with past 7 Series models, it looks inside and out as nothing more than a longer, bigger 5 Series.

These new features are certainly cool from a marketing perspective, but I question the practical aspects of them, as well as the relevance of them on a full-size luxury sedan. Remote control parking for example, I see that as possibly posing a BIG security issue. What if someone hacks your remote/key? What then? What if your kids get a hold of the key and play with it? What happens if you crack the LCD on the "key" or remote? I don't think very many consumers in the full-size luxury segment have desired a remote control parking feature. Now yes I understand this segment is all about offering new and world-first features that consumers don't even know yet that they want. However I see this specific feature as a very big gimmick. Automated parking where you sit in the car and it does it for you? That's awesome, and that was a world first years ago on the LS. This however just doesn't have the same impact, even though technically it's a similar sort of technology.

The gesture technology in the interior I find problematic as well. Will be the feature be always-on or not? Even if not, when the feature is on, what if you forget about it and while making movements with your hand during regular interior functions, you accidentally active various unwanted functions via gestures? How will the system differentiate gestures from non-gestures?

I also found it ironic how the video and press release are boasting about such "new" and "unparalleled" features such as self-levelling air suspension, or a touch-screen nav. Competitors in the segment have had these features for many years now.

The use of carbon fiber in such an integrated way in the body structure of the car is very interesting. However that means fixing any damage to the vehicle will be very expensive and complex. I know that's of little concern in this segment, but using such a unique process for the body structure means that almost all non-dealer body shops will be out of the question. I predict that not even all BMW dealers or BMW collision centers would be equipped to fix the body of this new 7. This would make it a hassle for owners, were the car to sustain significant damage.

Overall I'm not very impressed with the new 7 Series (having seen the leaked pics from other sources). To me it doesn't match up successfully with the S Class, and I think the next-gen LS will blow this away.

The gesture control and the remote control parking I see as features that are primarily aimed at the young generation. The only problem is, young buyers in this segment are extremely rare.

I have been acquainted with the 7-Series my entire life and BMW, as my grandfather imported and sold BMWs in the 1970s-80s (owned E3, E23, and E32 7er), and my mother a 7er driver since the E38 (BMW driver since E21 3-Series). BMW was the first non-Japanese automaker to offer a touchscreen integrated GPS navigation system in 1994 for world markets on the E38 7-Series and first automaker in the US in 1996.

In my opinion, that is Japanese technology and Japan has not been given there due credit for that, since these touchscreens were introduced in February 1990 on Mazda's Cosmo and to Toyota in May 1991 on the Soarer (Lexus SC). The LS has had this technology since August 1992 via the Toyota Celsior CF, but Lexus dragged their feet and waited until October 1997 to offer that in Europe and the US AFTER BMW.

BMWs solution, offers 3-different ways to control the iDrive system. Voice recognition, iDrive controller, and now once again, a touchscreen. This was last offered on the E38 in 2001. MazdaConnect already offers this to a degree, as well as Hyundai in the new DH Genesis and Kia K9/Quoris/K900. The S-Class, LS, A8, and outgoing 7-Series do not. Thus, BMW is "first" again by default, even if Mazda and Hyundai/Kia offer similar.

In current Lexus models, you only have the Remote Touch controller/Touchpad and voice recognition. BMW intentions are not to make it seem as if the touchscreen is a novel idea. When Mercedes-Benz launched COMAND in October 1998, at the time BMW was settling on the final design of iDrive, parallel to E65 production design development. I cannot recall if and why Bangle had mentioned if BMW hypothesized a solution in 1998 with both touchscreen and iDrive conroller, but backed out of it due to complexity and ease of reach. The gesture control will be interesting to say the least, in being a fourth option.

E38 7-Series 1994-98 version w/touchscreen.
photos_bmw_7-series_1994_1.jpg

1990 Mazda Cosmo's multimedia touchscreen
1243_11mg.jpg

1991 Toyota Soarer EMV touchscreen
EMV.jpg

The world's first backup camera in a production car, 1991 Toyota Soarer!
emv_stickers.jpg

19673.jpg

toyota_soarer_4.0_gt_limited_active_control_suspension_2.jpeg

1992-1994 Toyota Celsior CF with GPS Navigation touchscreen (too bad 1993 LS400 didn't get this)
autowp.ru_toyota_celsior_18.jpg

Many features were omitted or not offered elsewhere, which Lexus still does with L-select.

Also, BMW has had this Remote Control Parking feature developed a decade ago. Implementation is the key here, as Toyota did introduce IPA in 2003-04, but their solution was soon surpassed by competitors by the time 4LS launched in September 2006 in Japan (October in the US). BMW also had developed their own "self-parking solution" by 2003-04, but took many years to launch it in early 2010

Doesn't seem like this model will have the tech to put in in the same league as the S class. More like a heavy refresh of the current model.
It is on a new 35up platform and took a little over 36 months from design approval in mid-2012. That's a full redesign, but evolutionary. I would blame Adrian van Hooydonk and whoever gave him his directives for the design process back in 2010-11.

...........and even the current one, IMO, sure looks a lot better than the one Chris Bangle screwed up almost 15 years ago.

DSC_1408.jpg

Bangle didn't almost screw up the E65 7-Series of 2001.

During the E65 design programme between March 1997 and January 1999, one could blame Bangle for giving most of the directives that led to a complex design. Adrian van Hooydonk, then merely a BMW exterior designer and responsible for the E65 concept, is not to fully blame for how that car turned out nor is Bangle.

Bangle ensured between 1997 and circa June 1998, that van Hooydonk's proposal came out on top. In the summer of 1998, van Hooydonk's design surely won BMW's design competition and the next several months were spent preparing it for the design freeze.

Come late 1998, it was very obvious that due to packaging considerations, that van Hooydonk's sporty, rakish, and futuristic design proved to complex to manufacture without extreme cost.

1997 E65 7-Series Design Programme sketch by exterior designer Adrian van Hooydonk (now head of BMW Group Design as of 2015)
E65 Sketch AvH 1997.jpg
1998 E65 sketch by Adrian van Hooydonk
E65rear 1998.jpg
1999 E65 sketch by Adrian van Hooydonk
7erfront 1999.jpg

By the end of January 1999, the new 2002 7-Series under project name E65 was frozen for 2001 production and no more body design changes permitted. BMW's Wolfgang Reitzle was disappointed with the result, intending to revise it after "succeeding" Chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder was fired. He left by February 8, 1999 over board politics, just some weeks after the design freeze for a car due for launch on November 17, 2001.

Work begun on a previewing concept, in the form of the Z9 GT (later became E63 6-Series). Bangle was not aware of any possible controversy, until the X-Concept of January 2001 and disgust at the E65 upon press release in July 2001. The new 5-Series, 6-Series, 1-Series, and X3 were already designed by then and had to go as planned.

Between 2002 and 2004 BMW management slowly ended the "Revolution". Starting in 2002, with favouring a tame E90 3-Series design proposal from veteran BMW designer Joji Nagashima in early 2002, rapidly redoing and toning down a facelift for the first generation X5 LCI (late 2003 launch) by mid-2002, and selection of an evolutionary design proposal for the E70 X5 (second generation) in late 2003.

Bangle was removed from day-to-day BMW Brand Design duties and van Hooydonk put in his place in early 2004. Bangle left in February 2009, exactly one month before BMW chose the final design for the current 3-Series on March 3, 2009.

My point is, that he did not necessarily screw-up the 7-Series. BMW engineers ruined the concept and Bangle did successfully fight to ensure that he maintained van Hooydonk's vision of the car. In fact, he gave the E38 the most beautiful facelifts for 1999 and 2001 (see example below), when final design work on the LCI (Life-Cycle Impulse)/facelift for September 1998 (MY1999) was approved by the end of 1996, 4 years after he arrived on October 1, 1992.

He based that on his then recently signed off E46 3-Series (Jan. 1996), having "hooded" headlights and implemented them on the top model. Below is design of the E38 in 1990-1991, back when BMW's design chief was in prison and Bangle was at Fiat.

1990 E38 Design Sketches by Boyke Boyer
E38 1991c.jpg
1990-91 E38 Clay model development
E38 1991.jpg
Boyke Boyer with E38 Tape Drawing in 1991
E38 1991b.jpg
April 1993 photo of E38 prototype
E38 patent.jpg
1994-1998 E38 7-Series - (1994 photograph)
BMW-7-Series-E38-1366x768-003.jpg BMW7Series-E38--780_16.jpg
1998-2001 E38 7-Series (1999 750iL on the right, 2001 740i on the left)
E38 (1998-2001).jpg

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The driverless parking is pretty damn awesome...

What do you guys think?

Yes, I agree that feature is interesting, but I wouldn't say it's any more awesome than the self-parallel-parking feature first shown on the Lexus LS460, and which can be had even on the lowly Ford Focus. For many people, parallel-parking a car properly, without tapping someone's bumper or scraping expensive alloy wheels and tires on a curb, is much more difficult than simply pulling in or out of a garage....even if the vehicle is a tight fit in the garage.

Reactions
Yes, I agree that feature is interesting, but I wouldn't say it's any more awesome than the self-parallel-parking feature first shown on the Lexus LS460, and which can be had even on the lowly Ford Focus. For many people, parallel-parking a car properly, without tapping someone's bumper or scraping expensive alloy wheels and tires on a curb, is much more difficult than simply pulling in or out of a garage....even if the vehicle is a tight fit in the garage.

I'm surprised how the technologies from the super premium cars have made their way to regular cars. I've tried the Ford Focus' self-parking, it's actually quite easy to use.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm surprised how the technologies from the super premium cars have made their way to regular cars. I've tried the Ford Focus' self-parking, it's actually quite easy to use.

Complex technology, though, is not always introduced first on the most expensive vehicles from a manufacturer. A good example is the Direct Adaptive steer-by-wire system (with an emergency manual-connection back-up) on the Infniti Q50, which is their mid-level sedan, not their flagship Q70.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
carmaker1 - thanks for valuable input, as usual... my initial thoughts were that this new 7 is for BMW lovers, and that seems to be the consensus... i am having hard time believing this will do well against S class which looks rich and opulent, and simply special... I hope you are right about LS, and XJ of course... even current XJ has nicer interior than this BMW and looks way more special...

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree spywolf.

Also on the topic of Chris Bangle, my personal opinion is that despite so much public criticism that some of his designs received, I personally believe he designed some of the best-looking models in BMW's history. All my favorite BMW models are from the time period when Chris Bangle was still in charge of BMW design.

Reactions
Complex technology, though, is not always introduced first on the most expensive vehicles from a manufacturer. A good example is the Direct Adaptive steer-by-wire system (with an emergency manual-connection back-up) on the Infniti Q50, which is their mid-level sedan, not their flagship Q70.

Now that I think about it, that's actually true! I've never noticed that before.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Now that I think about it, that's actually true! I've never noticed that before.

In most cases, new technology does start with flagship-level vehicles and works down, but not always. The Infiniti Q50 example I gave was one exception. Another very important one, some 15 years ago, was gas/electric hybrid technology, which, in the American market, started on two lowly vehicles (the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius) and, of course, spread up to more expensive ones.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I agree spywolf.

Also on the topic of Chris Bangle, my personal opinion is that despite so much public criticism that some of his designs received, I personally believe he designed some of the best-looking models in BMW's history. All my favorite BMW models are from the time period when Chris Bangle was still in charge of BMW design.

Bangle's influence, though, spread beyond just styling, though not all of those influences were necessarily his fault, or within his control. But, during the time that BMW models got their famous Bangle-Butts and droop-headlights, they also got noticeably thinner body sheet metal, doors, quirky electronic shifters, complex stereo/climate controls, and the I-Drive system that so many drivers found to be a PITA.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, not that it matters here because Infiniti's poor execution of steer-by-wire at production launch, was hardly good.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Bangle didn't almost screw up the E65 7-Series of 2001.

Perhaps I could have used a better and more descriptive term, but what I meant by the term "screwed up", in specific terms of that particular 7-series, was that it was a design that, at first at least, was sharply criticized in the auto press (and I wasn't terribly impressed with it myself). That included not only the car's physical looks with the famous "Bangle-Butt" trunk lid, but the complex and unreliable electronics, awkward electronic column stub-shifter, overly-complex stereo/climate controls, and, of course, the I-Drive, whose dislike of was not limited to the auto press.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
carmaker1 - thanks for valuable input, as usual... my initial thoughts were that this new 7 is for BMW lovers, and that seems to be the consensus... i am having hard time believing this will do well against S class which looks rich and opulent, and simply special... I hope you are right about LS, and XJ of course... even current XJ has nicer interior than this BMW and looks way more special...

Thank you spwolf, as I believe that to be true regarding all of this. In some other areas, I have read ignorant comments that the XJ has "cheap" interior and somehow the Equus and F01 7er are better. I chose to not dignify such silly comments with an answer, as I do not like to represent my company in a combative manner. On personal discussions, maybe.

Perhaps I could have used a better and more descriptive term, but what I meant by the term "screwed up", in specific terms of that particular 7-series, was that it was a design that, at first at least, was sharply criticized in the auto press (and I wasn't terribly impressed with it myself). That included not only the car's physical looks with the famous "Bangle-Butt" trunk lid, but the complex and unreliable electronics, awkward electronic column stub-shifter, overly-complex stereo/climate controls, and, of course, the I-Drive, whose dislike of was not limited to the auto press.

The Rover Crisis made for BMW, rather being short on cash and "half-done" projects. The E65 design was supposed to be corrected later on in 1999 before late 2001 intro, but funds and time didn't allow for it. Bangle commented on suppliers making things difficult, in always voting for much cheaper solutions to interior components and him having to dance around that. Many people thought that the boot lid was actually camouflage back in 2000-2001 spy shots of the E65! Boy were they shocked when it was revealed that summer and it was actually production grade! I remember first sitting a 745i back in January 2002, as a preteen. Quite a scary looking car to me and hated it compared to my mother's 2001 740iL. Eventually my dad bought her an E66 LCI in December 2005 and while I cannot fully attest to difference in controls between the original 2002 model and our 2006, it was an improvement.

One thing was certain to me, that it did not have finesse that the E38 did and I made sure my parents hated it too. Just as the LS430 did not appeal to me back in 2000 and was a bit unattractive, that I quickly fell more in love with the UCF21 LS400 (facelift 2LS 1997-2000). The LS430 facelift (2003-06) corrected all the wrongs of the 2000-2003 version and the pre-facelift 4LS Touring even more.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I never saw the 7 series as a proper flagship - it just doesn't hold a candle to the S class, and even the LS outdoes it in certain aspects. With the current 5 series being as huge as it is, I don't even see much point in the 7 series. I'm sure the new 7 will have nifty tech, but to me BMW's flagship is the M5 - although I wish they would get of the 4.4 and give us a more special engine like the did with E60 V10.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Well I will simply say, BMW is going to need a lot of luck. The new 7 Series doesn't have enough significant and useful innovations to outshine the S Class. Also the next-gen LS will very likely steal the limelight from the 7. The 7 was never really BMW's best model, well not for a long time anyway. If you look at it historically, BMW's expertise has always been the entry-level sedans and coupes, and midsize prestige sedans and coupes. The full-size luxury market for decades has been mostly a battle between Mercedes and Lexus. Now yes the 7 sales-wise has done well in a lot of European markets. I'm talking primarily industry perception and reputation worldwide. The LS changed the game in the industry in a lot of ways. The S-Class is a pioneer in this segment. The 7 was never that influential in the segment.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
If you look at it historically, BMW's expertise has always been the entry-level sedans and coupes, and midsize prestige sedans and coupes.

The full-size luxury market for decades has been mostly a battle between Mercedes and Lexus.

The 7 was never that influential in the segment.

I think the 7's main problem has been that most BMW buyers want agility and maneuverability. While the 7 series (being a BMW) steers and handles well by large-car standards (and the 550GT I reviewed, though somewhat ungainly-looking, actually uses a 7-series chassis), it is simply too large and heavy to have the kind of road-manners that many BMW enthusiasts are looking for.....even the M7.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
In some other areas, I have read ignorant comments that the XJ has "cheap" interior and somehow the Equus and F01 7er are better.

I guess it depends on what is meant by "cheap". I, for one, have never accused the current XJ of being "cheap" inside. However, it is somewhat different, and IMO less-plush-looking inside than previous XJ models, with their acres of rich polished wood and butter-soft leather. But the current XJ also has some nicely-finished metallic surfaces inside, and features like the pop-up rotary-dial shifter, that were lacking on the old one. And I never liked the "J" shift-pattern for the automatic transmission in the old ones, which I thought was simply a gimmick....the new rotary-shifter, although IMO also somewhat of a gimmick, is a definite improvement.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Reading through the reviews this morning, it seems that BMW has improved on their 7 Series formula, but they are not close to taking down the S Class.

I suppose that's about what I expected.