Official 2016 BMW 7 Series Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

PRESS RELEASE

Technology and innovation workshop on the new BMW 7 Series model range. PreDrive Miramas.

BMW is using a technology and innovation workshop to present an initial selection of development highlights which the next generation of the BMW 7 Series model range will use to set new benchmarks in lightweight design, driving dynamics, comfort, intelligent connectivity and operation. The extensive use of carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) in the structure of the passenger cell, the rigorous and detailed application of lightweight design and a new generation of engines combine to reduce the weight of the luxury sedan along with its fuel consumption and emissions figures. The comfort, safety and driving experience offered by the new BMW 7 Series benefit from new chassis technology, exceptional scope for interaction with the car's infotainment technology and a wider selection of driver assistance systems from BMW ConnectedDrive.

BMW EfficientLightweight: Carbon Core helps to reduce weight by up to 130 kilograms.
Thanks to the BMW EfficientLightweight strategy, the new BMW 7 Series line-up will tip the scales up to 130 kilograms lighter than the outgoing generation of models. At its heart is a body structure with a Carbon Core based on the transfer of technology from the development of the BMW i models. The use of CFRP – whose material properties lend themselves to use in the passenger cell areas exposed to heavy loads – increases torsional rigidity and strength. The configuration of the sheet metal elements can be adjusted accordingly, allowing body weight to be significantly reduced.

Six-cylinder in-line engine from the new generation of power units.
The new BMW 7 Series model range will be powered by engines including a six-cylinder in-line variant from the BMW Group's latest generation of power units. The new petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology links up with a likewise further developed eight-speed Steptronic gearbox.

Dynamics and ride comfort made to measure – and to the highest standard.
Sophisticated, precision-honed chassis technology and additional chassis control systems – fitted as standard or available as an option – enhance both the driving dynamics of the next-generation BMW 7 Series and its ride quality. At the same time, the balance between these two facets of driving pleasure reaches a level without parallel in the luxury sedan segment. The inclusion of two-axle air suspension with automatic self-levelling as part of the standard specification leads to noticeably improved ride comfort. Dynamic Damper Control also features as standard. Its electronically controlled dampers improve the primary and secondary ride of the sedan and sharpen its dynamic attributes. The latest update of the Integral Active Steering system, along with the first electromechanically driven Dynamic Drive roll stabilisation system, contribute to a further boost in comfort, dynamic prowess and assurance on the road in the new BMW 7 Series.

The latest innovations offer drivers greater freedom when choosing the right vehicle set-up for the situation at hand: they can elect to enjoy even sportier handling or further optimised ride comfort as desired. In addition, they can use the newly designed Driving Experience Control switch to activate the ADAPTIVE mode. In this setting, the vehicle set-up adapts as required to the driving style and the character of the road.

Intuitive operating with Touch Display and BMW gesture control.
In the next generation of the BMW 7 Series, the iDrive operating system's monitor comes in Touch Display form for the first time. This means customers will also be able to operate the system in the same way as modern electronic devices. In addition to using the Controller to operate the system in familiar style, its functions can also be selected and activated by touching the screen's surface.

Another new addition to the iDrive system's functionality is BMW gesture control, which is being introduced for the first time. Hand movements detected by a 3D sensor control infotainment functions in an extremely intuitive and user-friendly fashion. The gestures can be used for a number of functions, including controlling the volume in audio applications and accepting or rejecting incoming telephone calls. There is also the option of pairing a specific gesture with an individual choice of function.

Unique in the luxury sedan segment: remote control parking.
The new BMW 7 Series is the world's first series-produced car that owners will be able to manoeuvre in or out of parking spaces or garages without anyone at the wheel. The remote control parking option thus allows drivers to access extremely tight parking spaces. Using the likewise newly developed BMW Display Key, the driver can prompt the car to enter or exit a parking space fully automatically.

Innovative driver assistance systems from BMW ConnectedDrive enhance comfort and safety.
New strings to the bows of the Driving Assistant Plus and Driving Assistant systems include the steering and directional control assistant, Lane Departure Warning Assistant with active side collision protection, and the rear collision prevention and cross-traffic warning functions. When using the Active Cruise Control system with Stop & Go function, a press of a button now suffices to acknowledge speed restrictions detected by the Speed Limit Info function.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/19/bmw-7-series-technology-preview-video/

Looks like BMW has some very impressive features headed into the 7 series. The driverless parking is pretty damn awesome... I'm looking forward to more information on that one! It will be interesting to see if BMW can bring the same attention to detail and luxury that we see in the S Class.

What do you guys think?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
There are already some leaked pics out there of the new 7 Series on other forums...and let me just say, it doesn't look that impressive. As with past 7 Series models, it looks inside and out as nothing more than a longer, bigger 5 Series.

These new features are certainly cool from a marketing perspective, but I question the practical aspects of them, as well as the relevance of them on a full-size luxury sedan. Remote control parking for example, I see that as possibly posing a BIG security issue. What if someone hacks your remote/key? What then? What if your kids get a hold of the key and play with it? What happens if you crack the LCD on the "key" or remote? I don't think very many consumers in the full-size luxury segment have desired a remote control parking feature. Now yes I understand this segment is all about offering new and world-first features that consumers don't even know yet that they want. However I see this specific feature as a very big gimmick. Automated parking where you sit in the car and it does it for you? That's awesome, and that was a world first years ago on the LS. This however just doesn't have the same impact, even though technically it's a similar sort of technology.

The gesture technology in the interior I find problematic as well. Will be the feature be always-on or not? Even if not, when the feature is on, what if you forget about it and while making movements with your hand during regular interior functions, you accidentally active various unwanted functions via gestures? How will the system differentiate gestures from non-gestures?

I also found it ironic how the video and press release are boasting about such "new" and "unparalleled" features such as self-levelling air suspension, or a touch-screen nav. Competitors in the segment have had these features for many years now.

The use of carbon fiber in such an integrated way in the body structure of the car is very interesting. However that means fixing any damage to the vehicle will be very expensive and complex. I know that's of little concern in this segment, but using such a unique process for the body structure means that almost all non-dealer body shops will be out of the question. I predict that not even all BMW dealers or BMW collision centers would be equipped to fix the body of this new 7. This would make it a hassle for owners, were the car to sustain significant damage.

Overall I'm not very impressed with the new 7 Series (having seen the leaked pics from other sources). To me it doesn't match up successfully with the S Class, and I think the next-gen LS will blow this away.

The gesture control and the remote control parking I see as features that are primarily aimed at the young generation. The only problem is, young buyers in this segment are extremely rare.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
There are already some leaked pics out there of the new 7 Series on other forums...and let me just say, it doesn't look that impressive. As with past 7 Series models, it looks inside and out as nothing more than a longer, bigger 5 Series.

These new features are certainly cool from a marketing perspective, but I question the practical aspects of them, as well as the relevance of them on a full-size luxury sedan. Remote control parking for example, I see that as possibly posing a BIG security issue. What if someone hacks your remote/key? What then? What if your kids get a hold of the key and play with it? What happens if you crack the LCD on the "key" or remote? I don't think very many consumers in the full-size luxury segment have desired a remote control parking feature. Now yes I understand this segment is all about offering new and world-first features that consumers don't even know yet that they want. However I see this specific feature as a very big gimmick. Automated parking where you sit in the car and it does it for you? That's awesome, and that was a world first years ago on the LS. This however just doesn't have the same impact, even though technically it's a similar sort of technology.

The gesture technology in the interior I find problematic as well. Will be the feature be always-on or not? Even if not, when the feature is on, what if you forget about it and while making movements with your hand during regular interior functions, you accidentally active various unwanted functions via gestures? How will the system differentiate gestures from non-gestures?

I also found it ironic how the video and press release are boasting about such "new" and "unparalleled" features such as self-levelling air suspension, or a touch-screen nav. Competitors in the segment have had these features for many years now.

The use of carbon fiber in such an integrated way in the body structure of the car is very interesting. However that means fixing any damage to the vehicle will be very expensive and complex. I know that's of little concern in this segment, but using such a unique process for the body structure means that almost all non-dealer body shops will be out of the question. I predict that not even all BMW dealers or BMW collision centers would be equipped to fix the body of this new 7. This would make it a hassle for owners, were the car to sustain significant damage.

Overall I'm not very impressed with the new 7 Series (having seen the leaked pics from other sources). To me it doesn't match up successfully with the S Class, and I think the next-gen LS will blow this away.

The gesture control and the remote control parking I see as features that are primarily aimed at the young generation. The only problem is, young buyers in this segment are extremely rare.

Thanks to the marketing spiel (it did work for a moment), initially, I had a more positive reaction until I saw the pics and really thought about your input.

Questionable:

- The self-parking nowadays lacks the wow factor. The LS had it 8 years ago and now even a Ford Focus has it. For the 7-series, notice how close the owner must be to the vehicle as I suspect it's not like the range and autonomy on Audi showcased in a prototype a while back.
- The new LCD key fob practicality - another device we have to charge every so often (sigh)? Unless of course it is Qi wireless enabled minimizing the inconvenience. On paper for now at least from a convenience standpoint, I would prefer the Enform Remote app on your phone.
- Styling. Fans of current BMW styling will love it. With the exception of the i8 and Z4, I'm not a fan (yawn).
- Gesture Control - will it be glitchy and a pain to use as with the first Gen iDrive? How about in low lighting conditions unless it's got an infrared sensor? I suspect (or hope) it would be activated by the push of a button on the steering wheel much like voice command to avoid accidental activation.

g11-bmw-7-series-leaked-0005.jpg

2016-bmw-7-series-leaked--image-via-bimmerpost_100494944_l.jpg

2016-BMW-7-series-vs-2013-BMW-7-series-interior.jpg

Promising:
- The CFRP and the expected benefits
- Suspension and driving dynamics (marketing fluff though?)
- New inline Twin Turbo V6s. (Bye-bye V8 or V12?)

Overall, with the knowledge at this time, the S-Class still is the one to beat in this segment which gives the LS and good shot at the crown. But we need to see standout styling (we can expect that), exceptional practical tech, and available drive train (Fuel cell??? If Mirai is out, looks promising for a top-end LS???)

Reactions: CIF

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's a personal thing, but I think all sedans in this segment need to offer a wood and leather steering wheel. It just seems appropriate.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Just looking at those pics above, I don't see anything stand out or exemplary about that interior. In fact, you could arguably say that the current LS interior is overall better, and exudes more luxury. The S Class interior is for sure better. So just imagine how this will pale compared to the next-gen LS interior (which is sure to be a big step up)?

It's a personal thing, but I think all sedans in this segment need to offer a wood and leather steering wheel. It just seems appropriate.

Agreed completely. While Lexus has a non-wood steering wheel on the LS F-Sport, it's still fully leather-clad, and the wood steering wheel is available on all other models.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Personally, I think that's a tacky preview video. I think BMW marketing is starting to definitely work against itself. It's well-known among auto industry observers that BMW's present-day success is no longer due to excellently-engineered and tuned vehicles, but rather due to an excellent marketing machine that has a lot of people convinced that current BMW models and offerings are as sharp and excellent as past models. This video I think takes it over the top. Tacky marketing names like "Carbon Core" and "BMW Laserlight" are some of the last things I think that one would want for a luxury brand trying to promote their newly redesigned prestige luxury flagship sedan. Most enthusiasts that this sort of tacky marketing targets, are either not in the target segment for such a sedan, or they simply don't have the income to purchase such a sedan.

Reactions
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2015-bmw-7-series-first-image-leaks-out
The BMW 7 Series will be officially revealed to the world on 10 June, but the firm's Austrian market website has already accidently shown an image of the undisguised car on its online configurator.

The official bmw.at website revealed the new 7 Series will initially come with the choice of three engines and either standard rear- or optional four-wheel drive.

Included is a new turbocharged 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder common rail diesel that goes under the internal codename B57 with 257bhp in the 730d and 730d Xdrive. It is joined by a new turbocharged 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder petrol unit codenamed B58 with 317bhp in the 740i.

Topping the launch line-up is the 750i Xdrive, which uses a twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 with 444bhp.

According to the BMW Austria website, the wheel choices for the new 7 Series, codenamed G11 (rear-wheel drive) and G12 (four-wheel drive), will range in sizes from 17- to 20-inches in diameter, while buyers will get the choose between 13 different exterior colours, including Alpine White, Black College, Black Sapphire, Carbon Black, Glacier Silver, Cashmere Silver, Sophisto Grey, Imperial Blue, Magellan Grey, Singapore Grey, Mineral White, Arctic Grey Brilliant Effect and Jatoba.

Other features outlined on the on-line configurator include an M-Sport Package, Driving Assistance Plus, adaptive full LED headlamps, a Pure Excellence interior, Alcantara headliner among a myriad of other options.
bmw-7-series-leak-e1433679972733-610x304.jpg

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Doesn't seem like this model will have the tech to put in in the same league as the S class. More like a heavy refresh of the current model.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I really dislike front designs where the headlights meet a chrome grill, I don't like it on the X5 either. That first image unfortunately does nothing for me :(

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I really dislike front designs where the headlights meet a chrome grill, I don't like it on the X5 either. That first image unfortunately does nothing for me :(

Agreed, I'm 100% with you on this :).

I too strongly dislike designs where the headlights seem "fused" together with a chrome grille. I call it the "unibrow" look, and I find it very off-putting personally on a vehicle. To be clear, this is different than a similar trend where the headlights only partially touch a non-chrome grille, or if there is a thin strip of horizontal chrome on the grille that touches the headlights. To me, when the headlights meet a chrome grille, it puts your visual attention and emphasis on that fusion of the grille and headlights, and it just looks awkward. This has been an unfortunate trend on a lot of modern BMW designs.

The other thing that has me worried is the side profile. The newest BMWs, I've been either fine with, or indifferent about the side profiles. On this new 7 though, the (inexplicable) overuse of chrome on the side makes the 7 look very garish, gaudy and tacky. The chrome really makes it look much more like a Hyundai or Kia and less like a BMW. That is cruel irony for BMW, since it has been Hyundai and Kia over the past few years who have strongly imitated BMW styling cues, among other brands.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Compliments to Kia or insult to BMW?

kia-k9-front-three-quarter.jpg

Considering that BMWs usually have a completely split-grille in front (somewhat like Pontiacs), to me, that Kia actually looks more like a classic Buick with the waterfall grille. In fact, IMO, the Kia K900 is basically what Buick, Cadillac, and Lincoln should be using for their current American-market flagships instead of the smaller sedans they currently use.