Your thoughts on what the next-gen LS will have in store

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I decided to make a dedicated topic for this, since there isn't one :).

For years now I myself have contemplated and thought about what the next-gen LS might hold for us, and what it might bring to the table, ever since the updated and refreshed 2013 LS debuted. I like all Lexus models in their own ways, and the LS holds a special place in my heart. Even though I've never owned an LS, and won't be in the market for one for quite a while (simply because it's too large for me), I've always considered the LS to be the most pure, and truest embodiment of the Lexus brand.

I never cease to be amazed at what the 1st-gen LS400 did for the industry; how it rocked the competition, and set many new standards in the class, as well as several world firsts. Now some people say Lexus simply cannot recreate that. Call me an idealist, but I believe they can.

There have only been some very distant and vague rumors about the next-gen LS. Other than that, Toyota has kept development extremely secretive, which is no surprise. We have had some possible hints at what the next-gen LS might have, like the TMG 650 LS being a possible hint. Other than that we have nothing but guesses.

I personally feel, and would be willing to bet, that the reason the next-gen LS has been in development for so long is that Lexus is going to go all out with the next-gen model. I predict that the next-gen LS will match up extremely competitively with the S-Class. Not only that, I feel it will be a world-class debut that will rock the industry almost as much as the 1st-gen LS did, and will set a number of world firsts. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit, but I feel confident :).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am hoping that an updated version of the GS 450h powertrain goes into the LS. LS 600hL is unnecessary, especially with an LS F coming.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I hope they debut a LS F very quickly and don't wait too long. I keep hearing TT V-8 or some sort of new engine(s). I also heard of the LS being able to "talk" to one another or to other cars.

LS F... it would be a dream car once it has at least over 500hp...

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I hope they debut a LS F very quickly and don't wait too long. I keep hearing TT V-8 or some sort of new engine(s). I also heard of the LS being able to "talk" to one another or to other cars.

LS F... it would be a dream car once it has at least over 500hp...

Hard to tell just how well a true LS-F (not just an F-Sport) would sell in today's climate. It would probably have to be a very limited-production vehicle, as the majority of LS buyers usually seem to be looking for more of a cruiser than a bruiser. For those who ARE interested in an LS-F, though, I see a few parallels to some big-engined upmarket full-size RWD cars (by 60s standards) that I grew up with in high school. Examples are the Chrysler 300L/Hurst and its 440 "TNT" Magnum V8, the Buick Wildcat and its 455 V8, Olds Delta 88 and its "Rocket" 455 V8, Pontiac Grand Prix and its 455 V8, and Mercury Marauder and its Lincoln-derived 460 V8. I didn't include the hot-selling Impala SS back then because it really wasn't an upmarket brand, and the Caddies and Lincolns, back then, with engines as large as 500 c.i., though top-line brands, weren't really set up for performance......they were just too heavy and softly-sprung. And, of course, although the Chrysler had a durable drivetrain for its time, and GM did exterior/interior detailing better than other manufacturers, none of those cars could compare to today's LS in build quality.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I personally feel, and would be willing to bet, that the reason the next-gen LS has been in development for so long is that Lexus is going to go all out with the next-gen model. I predict that the next-gen LS will match up extremely competitively with the S-Class.

There's surely going to be a good reason that the next-gen LS has been delayed for so long. It likely has to do with powertrain development, as this is the area that needs the most work on the current model.

I am hoping that an updated version of the GS 450h powertrain goes into the LS. LS 600hL is unnecessary, especially with an LS F coming.

It's time to abandon the idea that the LS can only have a V8 engine. No other luxury manufacturer holds to this strategy, and it's even more frustrating because the 450h powertrain is so capable.

What do I think will happen with the next-generation LS? I bet it's offered with a fuel cell option.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
krew said:
It's time to abandon the idea that the LS can only have a V8 engine. No other luxury manufacturer holds to this strategy, and it's even more frustrating because the 450h powertrain is so capable.

Government CAFE standards are indeed going to force smaller engines (they already are, in many cases), but the government seems to be butting heads with the public on this one. Most people actually buying an LS (or in the market for one) are going to want and expect V8 engines. I don't think a V6 (or even a turbo V6) will be able to match the V8 LS's sales-numbers, at least in the American market.

What do I think will happen with the next-generation LS? I bet it's offered with a fuel cell option.

Problem is, outside of California, there just aren't enough compressed-hydrogen refilling stations to support many fuel-cell cars.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Government CAFE standards are indeed going to force smaller engines (they already are, in many cases), but the government seems to be butting heads with the public on this one. Most people actually buying an LS (or in the market for one) are going to want and expect V8 engines. I don't think a V6 (or even a turbo V6) will be able to match the V8 LS's sales-numbers, at least in the American market.

For what it's worth, I do see many BMW 740i's running around, which are turbo 6.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
For what it's worth, I do see many BMW 740i's running around, which are turbo 6.
Understood....but what works for BMW doesn't always work for Lexus (and vice-versa). Mercedes, for example, doesn't even try and sell the S-Class in America with a 6 like in some other markets.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Understood....but what works for BMW doesn't always work for Lexus (and vice-versa). Mercedes, for example, doesn't even try and sell the S-Class in America with a 6 like in some other markets.

S class with a 6 cylinder (same for LS) could potentially be a hit. Since Lincoln have discontinued the Towncar many limo companies switched to LWB S class and LS - I see tons of them in NYC with T&LC plates. If they could get these cars with 6 cylinder engines and save a few bucks, they would gladly do so.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Problem is, outside of California, there just aren't enough compressed-hydrogen refilling stations to support many fuel-cell cars.

Agree, there's no way it sells in any large numbers. I see it much like the Mirai -- Lexus putting a stake in the ground in the name of future progress. There would be a lot of marketing power with the LS being the first flagship to market with a fuel cell.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Not to go too off-topic, but I'm sure BMW would be selling 4-cylinder 7 Series models in North America if they could get away with it. I have never really viewed the 7 Series as a true prestige luxury sedan, or an equal competitor to the S Class and LS. I always found the 7 Series to be lacking in a variety of areas, to be considered a segment-competitive full-size prestige luxury sedan.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
I also heard of the LS being able to "talk" to one another or to other cars.

This is something I thought about before Toyota/Lexus even mentioned it. It's not difficult but requires Lexus vehicles to have the feature inbuilt and FCC approval for the communication system.

I believe the LS will be incorporating a lot of what they have learned from their Google autonomous project; think cameras everywhere watching everything and recording everything.

I also think that the car will have inbuilt wifi and automatically download updates for apps and maps. The whole dashboard will be a HD Display (retina display) as well as the navigation screen. I think the car will launch Apple CarPlay as well. You can connect to the car from anywhere and communicate with it.

The car will be the quietest car to date, practically silent at any speed.