Will Lexus differentiate Lexus EV interiors from the Lexus Non-EV lineup?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Seems like the best time to the ask the community how they think Lexus Product Planners have outlined their EV interior design plans from their Non-EV interiors design plans.

In the past Lexus has been keen on keeping the differences outside of powertrain low (and even then the powertrain experience was targeted that the end user didn't notice the complex setup). With the advent of EVs interior space is growing, ideas that were once constrained due to packaging should no longer be an issue.

Having seen the RZ teaser, and the RX introduction fast approaching after that does the majority expect the same setup adopted for the RX or will Lexus surprise the RX owner with something else?

Reactions
to be fully honest I do not expect Lexus to make the EV interiors that different from their ICE counterparts because in the past I know Akio wanted to create products that would fit the Lexus driving signature and he gave me that he didn't want EV's to be drastically different, which I agree. People tend to think of EV's as futuristic cars, which they are, but Lexus tends to be more conservative and they do not seem to follow any short term trends. I do not think there is any reason to make the interiors ant different then the way they already are.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I believe that we will have wait for the introduction of the next-generation RX before we say for certain that Lexus' EVs will have different interiors.

The RZ interior is certainly different, especially with that yolk. The NX is different from its predecessor but still recognizably Lexus. If the interior of the new RX is closer to the NX, it is likely that Lexus EVs will have a distinct interior; but if the interior of the new RX is similar to the RZ, then it is likely that the RZ is the start of a new interior styling language for all Lexus vehicles, both EV, Hybrid and ICEV.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
One thing that will be a theme in their future vehicles is sight-line MID as a stop gap between traditional gauge cluster and full AR-HUD. I said in another thread that traditional placement of gauge clusters are no longer relevant due to the sheer amount of information they contain (before the era of MIDs people only need to look at one gauge for AT or two for MT). There is no safe way to operate the vehicle with such layout. In the farther future AR-HUD will completely replace MIDs but currently they are too expensive and bulky. Until miniaturized, low cost AR-HUDs become available, sight-line MIDs will become more common.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Please keep in mind that RX still is Lexus flagship CUV and the best is most likely reserved for it when it comes to interiror.

I do understand some are let down by RZ interior and some were expecting flagship layout and materials considering this CUV will not come cheap. It's half a grade above NX when ot comes to interior which might be enough or might be not. Market will let Lexus officials know within two MY.

People probably had flagship hopes because of that too aggressive RZ concept that was shown while back. And I don't blame them really cause that concept could have been 75% production ready but it turned out nothing like the actual RZ

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Please keep in mind that RX still is Lexus flagship CUV and the best is most likely reserved for it when it comes to interiror.

I do understand some are let down by RZ interior and some were expecting flagship layout and materials considering this CUV will not come cheap. It's half a grade above NX when ot comes to interior which might be enough or might be not. Market will let Lexus officials know within two MY.

People probably had flagship hopes because of that too aggressive RZ concept that was shown while back. And I don't blame them really cause that concept could have been 75% production ready but it turned out nothing like the actual RZ

My sentiments exactly......turns out it has nothing in common to the LF-Z concept...instead happens to be more like RX / NX electric counterpart.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
When they released the images we didn't have the sense of scale and everyone jumped on the conclusion that its a Cayenne Coupe competitor or RX Coupe at least. Once the actual concept was put on the floor of some JP Lexus showroom we were all cought by surprise how small it actually is. From there on we knew it would be NX coupe like. But then production turned out not be a coupe but rather more boxier version of its NX sibling because it's brother is super boxy Toyota BRZ4XZY2

Levi

Expert
Reactions

Yes, because people are yet waiting for LF-1 after the unfortunate failure of LS. The LX is not Bentley level either, (not even LS/LC level), but it is a Landcruiser first.

Looking at competitors, BMW iX is not more flagship than X5/X7.