Why Manual Transmissions are Dying.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Why Manual Transmissions are Dying.
SKU072780%20(3).JPG

Although this video probably doesn't tell a lot of us what we don't already know (or suspect), I thought it was generally well-done for something that had to condense the long history of automotive transmissions into something just 13 minutes in length.

Although my knees are sometimes a little weak from arthritis, most of the time, I could, if I had to, still get into a traditional three-pedal car and drive simply by second-nature......I drove thousands of miles in manual-transmission cars when I was young, although the one I had in my 1980 Chevy Citation was simply awful (I covered that in another recent thread). Some things, even as you get older, just remain with you in your mind and ability, and you don't forget them....using a clutch and manual-linkage is one of them, although I still like to test-drive a vehicle with a stick every once in awhile just to make sure that I don't get rusty....a Mazda Miata or Fiat Spyder is arguably the most delightful stick still in production. I did have one limitation, however (and still do)....I never really got the knack of double-clutching or heel-and-toe downshifting to save wear on the synchronizers. However, the Nissan 370Z (which I did a full-review on several years ago) has a mechanism I liked.....the computer, when you downshift, automatically revs and matches the engine RPM to the transmission-output speed, which accomplishes the same thing as heel-and-toeing without the need for fancy footwork. That, of course, also saves the synchros from excess wear.

As far as the video is concerned, I take a more or less middle-position between the die-hard manual-transmission enthusiasts who bemoan the loss of traditional stick-shifts and those who look upon a vehicle as simply a motorized appliance where you start the engine, put the automatic transmission in gear, and go. I understand the reason for the demise of the stick-shifts (and, to some extent, it's inevitable, especially because of today's traffic jams)....but it's nice to know that, if I had to (or want to), I could still get into a vehicle and exercise that left-knee a little.
wink.gif

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

^^^^ Yes, there have been a few documented cases of thieves breaking onto stick-shift vehicles......only to find out that they couldn't actually drive them. But I would guess that most car thieves, unless they are a couple of 14-year-old morons looking for a quick joy-ride, are smart enough to know what they can handle and what they can't.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Automatic (with paddle shifters) is fun to drive, but only when really driving in a way cops and other drivers would consider illegal/hooning.

In everyday driving, I find automatic worse, because I tend to pay less attention and to zone-out. With manual I attentive and reactive, probably slower, but make up with earlier response.

The quality of the manual transmission (shifting linkages, clutch, gear ratios) play a huge role in how a manual can be tiring or not to drive.

A Lexus GS F with manual would be nice.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Levi said:
Automatic (with paddle shifters) is fun to drive, but only when really driving in a way cops and other drivers would consider illegal/hooning.

In some cases, paddle-shifters are there for more than just fun or aggressive driving. In my Lacrosse, for example (which is hardly a sport-sedan), the standard paddle-shifters can quickly upshift or downshift the 9-speed automatic, without touching the electronic joy-stick lever, if you are going up or down steep hills, for example. Even if the lever is left in D, and not M, just tap the left or right paddle and the gears shift up or down one notch. I use them quite often to keep the engine from lugging....although that 3.6L V6 has enough torque that it tends to resist lugging as it is.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Manuals used to have two big advantages for normal consumers. Cheaper and better mpg. Now they are more expensive and get worse MPG.

Manuals used to be exclusively for exotics but they are all mostly automatics of some sort. Anyone can drive one.

The Corolla hatch has been a rare manual succcess with a 15% take rate.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
A traditional, 3-pedal manual transmission will not go past 6 ratios (for most cars) or 7 ratios (for super cars) because it has limitations that the automatic transmission does not have.

Engineers have broadened the gear-ratio range, from very short (low gear) to very long (high gear), and reduced the ratio changes in between low and high gears, all in an effort to get both quick acceleration (from start and on-the-go), and low fuel consumption. That has given us multi-gear 8-, 9- and 10-speed transmissions.

But that is too many gear changes to expect the driver of a 3-pedal manual transmission to accomplish. Traditional manual transmissions don't go beyond 6 or 7 ratios because it would be asking too much of the driver.