What's the single most important change needed for the RX?

Choose the single most important change needed for the new RX?

• Improved exterior styling

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Wider range of engine choices

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • More powerful V6 engine

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Hybrid with more power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upgraded interior

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Third row seating

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
So the next-generation RX debuts next week, and there's still a lot of mystery surrounding the model. That makes for some fun speculation, and there's one big question that needs answering.

What is the single most important change for the new RX? There's a poll above for voting, and here's a breakdown of the choices:
  • Improved exterior styling - of course the current RX looks dated, but is that the biggest problem?
  • Wider range of engine options - RX 200t, RX 350, RX 300h, RX 450h?
  • More powerful V6 - the 2GR-FE engine is 10 years old now.
  • Hybrid with more power - It's hard to fault the 450h power train, but I had to include it just in case.
  • Upgraded interior - Soft edged and comfortable, the interior dull but dependable.
  • Third row seating - Little chance of this happening next week, but I know it will be a popular answer to the question.
What's your vote?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Personally, it's a toss up between the improved exterior styling and the wider range of engine options. Updating the exterior is the most visible change, but I don't feel like it's the most important, even with a model like the RX that desperately needs it.

Instead, I feel like Lexus needs to start offering more engine options in every model, and where better to start than the RX?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I voted for upgraded interior. IMHO, the RX needs that most of all. The 3RX interior in terms of overall quality and luxury, in some ways was a step back compared to the 2RX interior. Even before you begin to examine the 3RX interior in terms of quality and luxury, just from a stylistic point of view, it's one of the most dated interiors in the Lexus lineup, a remnant of the "old" Lexus, before the current product renaissance started with the 4GS. The fact that Lexus (and Toyota overall) has extended development times and life cycles for all models, as well as extended real-world testing for all models is a good sign. I think that first and foremost, the 4RX with its interior needs to firmly establish that it is the quality and luxury leader in this segment, bar none. We can already see from the teaser the exterior styling is going to be dazzling, a more mature take on the NX styling themes. I think style-wise it will be a smash hit. Engine-wise we know the RX is getting at least one new engine, and there is a whole new generation of engines coming to Toyota and Lexus models over the next few years.

Getting back to my original point though, I really hope that Lexus cut as little corners as possible on the 4RX interior. Given how dazzling the NX interior is for its class and price point, the RX needs to similarly dazzle but achieve beyond that. My dream would be to see a very high quality and high luxury base interior, with an even more upgraded interior available in a luxury or ultra luxury package.

Nuum

Premium Member
Reactions
I voted for more engine options such as 2.5 liters turbo, 3.0 turbo diesel, 3.5 gasoline and 450h.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I am assuming the RX will go up in price and in status since the NX is here so I think better engines are a big key here.

Reactions: CIF

RAL

Reactions
I am assuming the RX will go up in price and in status since the NX is here so I think better engines are a big key here.
Our Lexus lease consultant told me Friday a loaded 2016 RX will run about $6,000 more (up from 54,000 to 60,000)! He "couldn't locate" the picture of the new RX in atomic silver floating around the dealership! :rolleyes:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Our Lexus lease consultant told me Friday a loaded 2016 RX will run about $6,000 more (up from 54,000 to 60,000)! He "couldn't locate" the picture of the new RX in atomic silver floating around the dealership! :rolleyes:

lol....Two more days...you know its nice to have a surprise once in awhile instead of constant leaks....

Kinda odd to think they leaked the GS F before NAIAS but not the RX.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Hmm, with a price increase like that, this bodes well in terms of the possible increases in luxury and technology over the previous generation. Definitely sounds like the RX is going more upscale, which fits with the NX now being in the lineup.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Our Lexus lease consultant told me Friday a loaded 2016 RX will run about $6,000 more (up from 54,000 to 60,000)!

Looks like there might be quite a few upgrades in store for the RX -- $6k gives a lot of wiggle room, especially when the new Safety System+ will top out at $635.

! He "couldn't locate" the picture of the new RX in atomic silver floating around the dealership! :rolleyes:

As much as I want to see the RX, it's a good thing he didn't find it. After all the work making sure it doesn't leak, Lexus would not take kindly to an associate sharing photos. Yikes!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Given that the newly-introduced NX will probably take away some sales of the 2-row RX on the lower-end, I'd say the addition of an (optional) third-row seat for the new, longer 2016 RX would probably make the most sense. It would also give RX buyers a nice choice between 2-row and 3-row versions, without having to move up to the more expensive GX for the 3rd-row. The GX is also, of course, an entirely different, truck-based class of SUV.....one that many typical SUV buyers today don't need.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm hoping they can find a way to shed a few pounds... the 3RX got a little chunky over the 2RX.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm hoping they can find a way to shed a few pounds... the 3RX got a little chunky over the 2RX.

Though weight can degrade performance/handling/braking and gas mileage and increase tire-wear, it is not always a bad thing. In many cases, it adds stability to the car, helping it to track better, and can improve the ride comfort by making it harder for the suspension to push the car up and down over bumps. It can also (depending on other design factors as well), make a vehicle safer and more crashworthy in an accident.

RAL

Reactions
Though weight can degrade performance/handling/braking and gas mileage and increase tire-wear, it is not always a bad thing. In many cases, it adds stability to the car, helping it to track better, and can improve the ride comfort by making it harder for the suspension to push the car up and down over bumps. It can also (depending on other design factors as well), make a vehicle safer and more crashworthy in an accident.
I was glad for the weight of the RX when last January a deer hit us while we were at highway speed. It was bad enough, but in a lighter vehicle I think it could have been much worse. I'm grateful we weren't hurt . . . only the front fender and grille of the RX. It looked like some creature had bitten away a huge hunk! Thankfully our new NX weighs 4000 lbs.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
With the NX picking up where old RX left off, and new RX going upscale, they should've used proper RWD based drivetrain.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
With the NX picking up where old RX left off, and new RX going upscale, they should've used proper RWD based drivetrain.

RWD, though, is usually not an issue with car-based crossover SUVs. You sometimes still see RWD (in 2WD drive mode) in larger, traditional medium/full-sized SUVs because some of them (fewer and fewer as time goes by) still use truck-based rail/ladder frames instead of unibodies, and longitudinal engine-layout instead of transverse.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
RWD, though, is usually not an issue with car-based crossover SUVs. You sometimes still see RWD (in 2WD drive mode) in larger, traditional medium/full-sized SUVs because some of them (fewer and fewer as time goes by) still use truck-based rail/ladder frames instead of unibodies, and longitudinal engine-layout instead of transverse.

I said RWD based drivetrain, not RWD. Look at BMW and MB - all their cross overs are RWD based with longitudinal engine layout, even the X1 which costs way way less than RX. Transverse engine layout just does not belong in a premium vehicle, and such vehicle will never drive the way a premium vehicle should.

Lexus seriously needs a GS based cross over, I would be all over that.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I said RWD based drivetrain, not RWD. Look at BMW and MB - all their cross overs are RWD based with longitudinal engine layout, even the X1 which costs way way less than RX.

OK...understood. That clarifies your intention a little. :)

Transverse engine layout just does not belong in a premium vehicle, and such vehicle will never drive the way a premium vehicle should.

Lexus seriously needs a GS based cross over, I would be all over that.

One of the things that is being widely discussed, right now, not just here but at other forums as well (and, from what I understand, at Lexus itself), is whether two relatively large truck-based SUVs (GX and LX) will be needed once the RX grows and gets a third-row seat. The majority consensus seems to think that the GX will probably go and the LX will stay, as the LX, despite its high cost, along with the similar Toyota Land Cruiser, is a staple in many primitive and Third-World conditions. On the other hand, my general way of thinking is that the LX may not be needed in the off-road areas where the Land Cruiser already rules (the Land Cruiser already has that market sowed up), and that the GX, at a lower price than the LX, provides the truck-based towing and off-road capacity that a stretched, 3-row RX would not.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
OK...understood. That clarifies your intention a little. :)

One of the things that is being widely discussed, right now, not just here but at other forums as well (and, from what I understand, at Lexus itself), is whether two relatively large truck-based SUVs (GX and LX) will be needed once the RX grows and gets a third-row seat. The majority consensus seems to think that the GX will probably go and the LX will stay, as the LX, despite its high cost, along with the similar Toyota Land Cruiser, is a staple in many primitive and Third-World conditions. On the other hand my general way of thinking is that the LX may not be needed in the of-road areas where the Land Cruiser already rules, and the GX, at a lower price than the LX, provides the truck-based towing and off-road capacity that a stretched, 3-row RX would not.

A friend of mine just leased a GX460 last week, and after test driving it I had to express him my most sincere condolences. I can't believe such a vehicle is still on sale in USA in this era - I mean it's like driving a one bedroom apartment on water... powered by what sounds like a vacuum cleaner. :D