What to Expect from the Third Generation Lexus GX?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Considering that it was originally launched in late 2009 as a 2010 model, the GX is now six years old and in typical Lexus fashion, that means it’s close to some type of life cycle update (in theory). While vehicles like the upcoming LS and LC might steal more of enthusiasts’ attention, I think the GX will be one of the most interesting vehicles to watch as it nears the end of its current life cycle.

Why? With endless rumors over the last few years about a three-row unibody CUV and the media-reported “impending death” of the GX in its current state, Lexus’ handling of the new GX will have a significant impact on the lineup.

A few things to consider:

1) With its 2014 refresh, GX sales doubled and it has reliably sold about 2,000 units a month. That’s no small feat and a significant volume for a vehicle that’s offered in one drive type, with one engine, when the entire class has moved to unibody construction. Might Lexus see a case for keeping it body on frame?

2) Rumors suggest that late next year, the 4Runner – GX’s closest relative – will receive a heavy refresh along the lines of the 2016 Land Cruiser and LX 570, and 2014 Tundra. If this is indeed true, a second refresh for the GX could certainly be in order although one would have to hope for an updated powertrain – be it a revised V8, 8 speed automatic or both.

3) Lexus execs have been clear in saying that the GX is a serious cash cow for the company. With a chassis and basic architecture shared with Toyota’s global Land Cruiser/Prado platform, the only real investment is in making it a luxury ‘ute with an upmarket engine, wood, leather and sound insulation. Is it too profitable for Lexus to walk away from this model right now? Possibly.

4) Is there room for a three-row GX and another three-row crossover? That remains to be seen, but I wouldn’t rule it out. Perhaps the GX soldiers on as a BOF, capable ‘ute and another vehicle is added to the lineup for more plebian on-road duties.​

With the success of the current model, I do believe that there is at least one more generation of BOF construction that’s “doable” for the GX. When refreshed, Lexus added a downmarket version with NuLuxe interior trimmings and fewer standard features… but there’s an opportunity to extend the GX’s price point down a little further without necessarily jeopardizing its value.

How? For starters, while full-time 4WD is standard right now, it may not be completely necessary in many markets across the country. Of course, this feature lends itself to the GX’s tough, off-road demeanor, but no doubt that there is a sizable chunk of GX buyers who simply want a three-row Lexus vehicle and don’t need that do-anything, go-anywhere capability. Coming standard with 2WD/RWD would certainly be an option for buyers like these.

Another option would be offering a base-level V6 engine. The current ‘ute’s 301hp V8 has already seen its best days with modern V6s capable of as much horsepower and better MPG. If Lexus could offer a base V6 with 280-320hp, that would be more than adequate for most buyers. This would also open up an opportunity for a larger V8 to be fitted to the GX, possibly a version of the 383hp 5.7L V8 in the LX.

2WD, 4WD, V6, V8… that triples the number of GX models from what we have now and creates more of a spread across MSRPs between the RX and LX.

While everything here is hypothetical, what I’d like to see is this:

2017 GX “400” and GX 570
Body-On-Frame Construction

GX 400

Base V6 with 280-320hp, 275-300 lb-ft of torque
Standard RWD
Optional 4X4

GX 570

Uplevel V8 with 390-400hp, 400-420lb-ft of torque
Standard 4X4​

What I think we’ll see is a refreshed exterior and updated interior, similar to the 2016 LX update, and an 8AT that replaces the current 6AT. I can only hope that Lexus has plans to bump up the horsepower or swap in a new engine, but the company has been very conservative with engine updates over the last few years.

If a three-row CUV is indeed in the works, I'd like to see the GX elevated a bit in the lineup - standard 4WD, standard V8 (as it is now) - with more luxury features. That hypothetical CUV could occupy the $50-65k price point, and the GX could move upmarket to something like $70-$80k, nicely bridging the gap with the LX at the top.

What are your thoughts? When do you think we'll see news of the next GX, and what should we expect?

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
I definitely think the GX will soldier on. At least in Georgia and at few dealers I know in Alabama, dealers can't keep GX's on the lot. They regularly sell GX's before they even touch the lot, impressive for an older design. This is the land of Tahoes and Suburbans, and the GX has always been a popular and viable alternative. In truth, it doesn't matter how capable the truck is. The simple fact that it's a truck you climb into and not a CUV you slide into is a selling point in itself for most buyers. Growing up my parents had three different Tahoes before their first Lexus, a 2006 GX. All of our GM BOF SUVs were RWD and the 4WD on the GX was literally never used, but they loved the truck no less. It remains my parent's favorite vehicle they've owned. Later they tried the 3row Lux CUV with an MDX and hated it, simply because it behaves far different than a BOF SUV (I think they kept it like 18 months, tops). My point in saying all of this is that, in many markets, the 3row Luxury CUV doesn't quite fit the bill. Not because it doesn't tow, or it doesn't crawl canyons or that it doesn't have a growling V8, CUVs don't work for some customers because its not a truck. As obvious as that sounds, several speculate that the GX wouldn't be missed if it went away, and that's simply not the case. Drive through many southern neighborhoods, country clubs, and school parking lots and you'll see that the BOF SUV is going nowhere anytime soon. Of course, you'll also see RXs (which we've owned 4 of) and argue that a 3row RX is perfectly viable. Yes, it is... and isn't at the same time. I'm sure glad I don't have to make this exec decision :D

As for the future features of the GX... I can't quite say. I agree that a lower priced RWD version is a viable alternative, and one that my parents would enjoy. I'm not so sure that they'll throw a V6 under the hood. Toyota execs have to keep a market open for the 4Runner, and today's 4Runner/GX pairing works quite well. A loaded up 4Runner Limited stickers for just south of a base GX, making the gap close enough for comparison shoppers yet wide enough for those wanting to jump way up into a $67k GX Luxury Package. My parents currently have a '15 4Runner Limited RWD and a '10 Tundra RWD and have been looking to replace the Tundra with a GX for some time now. If news circulates that the GX is being sacrificed for a 3row RX, they'll be at the Lexus dealer in a heartbeat to buy a GX.

I don't think Lexus can afford to move the base MSRP of the GX up much further than it is now. As the RX has gone up in price, I would anticipate the GX to possibly start $55k but if you get to $60k, I think they would have gone too far and run the risk of alienating customers.

I'd like to see a refreshed 2017 GX with a revised version of the current V8, and a new 8AT. Refresh the inside completely with remote touch etc and refresh the exterior and Lexus will have done a good job keeping a cash cow moving. Evolutions, not revolutions!
IMG_7531.JPG The last GX they almost pulled the trigger on, and a neat shot comparing our 4Runner to the GX :)
IMG_7547.JPG

Sorry for the lengthy reply, I'm just passionate about the GX:)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
1) With its 2014 refresh, GX sales doubled and it has reliably sold about 2,000 units a month. That’s no small feat and a significant volume for a vehicle that’s offered in one drive type, with one engine, when the entire class has moved to unibody construction. Might Lexus see a case for keeping it body on frame?

2) Rumors suggest that late next year, the 4Runner – GX’s closest relative – will receive a heavy refresh along the lines of the 2016 Land Cruiser and LX 570, and 2014 Tundra. If this is indeed true, a second refresh for the GX could certainly be in order although one would have to hope for an updated powertrain – be it a revised V8, 8 speed automatic or both.

3) Lexus execs have been clear in saying that the GX is a serious cash cow for the company. With a chassis and basic architecture shared with Toyota’s global Land Cruiser/Prado platform, the only real investment is in making it a luxury ‘ute with an upmarket engine, wood, leather and sound insulation. Is it too profitable for Lexus to walk away from this model right now? Possibly.

4) Is there room for a three-row GX and another three-row crossover? That remains to be seen, but I wouldn’t rule it out. Perhaps the GX soldiers on as a BOF, capable ‘ute and another vehicle is added to the lineup for more plebian on-road duties.

The success of the updated GX caught Lexus off guard, there was never any thought it could sell in serious numbers. I still don't think there's much future for the GX in the Lexus lineup, particularly with the upcoming three-row crossover on the way.

It makes you wonder how Lexus will play this new seven-seat CUV. It wouldn't be out of the question to see it borrow an updated GX design and continue on with the same nameplate.

If the GX does go away, I'll be sad to see it disappear. It's my favorite SUV of the bunch, and is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
If the GX does go away, I'll be sad to see it disappear. It's my favorite SUV of the bunch, and is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

Interesting as we have never paid it any attention. In fact, know very little about it. I see a test drive in the making.......

You probably already know this but the RX350 has been the cash cow for Lexus. Salesman told me it constitutes about 1/3 of all Lexus sales.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Handsome duo!

What you say is exactly true - GX is big here in the south. We had a mountain home in North Carolina in a pretty rural area and literally, about half of the vehicles there were GXs, and people did truly use them to haul boats or do some light off roading to get to cabins, or through inclement weather.

In my experience, GX owners are also very loyal. What they want is another GX - nothing else!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The success of the updated GX caught Lexus off guard, there was never any thought it could sell in serious numbers. I still don't think there's much future for the GX in the Lexus lineup, particularly with the upcoming three-row crossover on the way.

It makes you wonder how Lexus will play this new seven-seat CUV. It wouldn't be out of the question to see it borrow an updated GX design and continue on with the same nameplate.

This is purely speculation, but I've wondered if that's why Lexus has drug their feet on a three row CUV - do they transfer the "GX" name to that CUV and not look back, or do they try to find a way to make both coexist for the foreseeable future? If they let the GX soldier on a few more years, will it then really be ready for a transfer to a unibody platform? Or is their goal to give buyers both options and let the market determine which one consumers want?

Even if we do get a three-row CUV, I do see a future for the GX as a bit of a niche product for Lexus. LX will always be the mack-daddy at the top of the lineup, selling in low volume. If there's a three-row CUV above the RX that does mainstream duties for the MDX/QX60 crowd, keeping the GX as a niche, BOF product for those who want it would be a cool idea. Lexus has that market tied down at this point, just like Toyota does with the 4Runner. They've created their own segment, which is both good and bad.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Interesting as we have never paid it any attention. In fact, know very little about it. I see a test drive in the making.......

You probably already know this but the RX350 has been the cash cow for Lexus. Salesman told me it constitutes about 1/3 of all Lexus sales.

Here's my review before you go:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/03/13/review-2014-lexus-gx-460/

And you're right -- in 2014, its last full year of production, the third-generation RX accounted for 36% of all Lexus sales.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
This is purely speculation, but I've wondered if that's why Lexus has drug their feet on a three row CUV - do they transfer the "GX" name to that CUV and not look back, or do they try to find a way to make both coexist for the foreseeable future? If they let the GX soldier on a few more years, will it then really be ready for a transfer to a unibody platform? Or is their goal to give buyers both options and let the market determine which one consumers want?

Even if we do get a three-row CUV, I do see a future for the GX as a bit of a niche product for Lexus. LX will always be the mack-daddy at the top of the lineup, selling in low volume. If there's a three-row CUV above the RX that does mainstream duties for the MDX/QX60 crowd, keeping the GX as a niche, BOF product for those who want it would be a cool idea. Lexus has that market tied down at this point, just like Toyota does with the 4Runner. They've created their own segment, which is both good and bad.

It would be interesting to see the GX and a new three-row crossover both in the lineup, but Lexus is a brand that didn't bring over the IS 300h because it might steal sales from the ESh and CTh. They're not big fans of cannibalization, internal or not.

That said, the new F strategy with the RC F and GS F splitting the space left by the IS F suggests they might be switching it up. The one thing to be said about the GX is that it doesn't cost much money to develop -- the Toyota Prado it's based on is a big seller around the world. And really, if Lexus was only about streamlining its lineup, it would have killed the ES years ago and focused on the GS instead.

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
I'll be interested to see what Lexus will do to the GX for the '17. I think they won't do anything but I wish at least they will tune the 4.6L V8 for little HP and MPG (8AT maybe). I currently have a '15 and LIKE it but NOT really LOVE it. Rumors have it that the 4th RX might have a sibling that is 3-row BUT I don't like the 4th RX to get any LONGER. It will look like a minivan'ish to me. The '16 LX is very NICE but at $90k+ starting price it is out of range for lots of people.

mikeavelli

Reactions
If I recall the first gen GX has a sales goal of 15k, pretty modest for Lexus. Now to see a refreshed model consistently break 2k a month is quite something.

Lets also not forget current gas prices are cheap which helps sell these vehicles. I'm no expert forecaster but how much longer will they stay low.

Another point is this thing sells well overseas from my understanding. The LX is too damn expensive and big in many countries with tight roads. The GX /Prado is a nice fit.

Not sure why they have to leave this platoform, some people do want a rugged SUV!

mikeavelli

Reactions
I definitely think the GX will soldier on. At least in Georgia and at few dealers I know in Alabama, dealers can't keep GX's on the lot. They regularly sell GX's before they even touch the lot, impressive for an older design. This is the land of Tahoes and Suburbans, and the GX has always been a popular and viable alternative. In truth, it doesn't matter how capable the truck is. The simple fact that it's a truck you climb into and not a CUV you slide into is a selling point in itself for most buyers. Growing up my parents had three different Tahoes before their first Lexus, a 2006 GX. All of our GM BOF SUVs were RWD and the 4WD on the GX was literally never used, but they loved the truck no less. It remains my parent's favorite vehicle they've owned. Later they tried the 3row Lux CUV with an MDX and hated it, simply because it behaves far different than a BOF SUV (I think they kept it like 18 months, tops). My point in saying all of this is that, in many markets, the 3row Luxury CUV doesn't quite fit the bill. Not because it doesn't tow, or it doesn't crawl canyons or that it doesn't have a growling V8, CUVs don't work for some customers because its not a truck. As obvious as that sounds, several speculate that the GX wouldn't be missed if it went away, and that's simply not the case. Drive through many southern neighborhoods, country clubs, and school parking lots and you'll see that the BOF SUV is going nowhere anytime soon. Of course, you'll also see RXs (which we've owned 4 of) and argue that a 3row RX is perfectly viable. Yes, it is... and isn't at the same time. I'm sure glad I don't have to make this exec decision :D

As for the future features of the GX... I can't quite say. I agree that a lower priced RWD version is a viable alternative, and one that my parents would enjoy. I'm not so sure that they'll throw a V6 under the hood. Toyota execs have to keep a market open for the 4Runner, and today's 4Runner/GX pairing works quite well. A loaded up 4Runner Limited stickers for just south of a base GX, making the gap close enough for comparison shoppers yet wide enough for those wanting to jump way up into a $67k GX Luxury Package. My parents currently have a '15 4Runner Limited RWD and a '10 Tundra RWD and have been looking to replace the Tundra with a GX for some time now. If news circulates that the GX is being sacrificed for a 3row RX, they'll be at the Lexus dealer in a heartbeat to buy a GX.

I don't think Lexus can afford to move the base MSRP of the GX up much further than it is now. As the RX has gone up in price, I would anticipate the GX to possibly start $55k but if you get to $60k, I think they would have gone too far and run the risk of alienating customers.

I'd like to see a refreshed 2017 GX with a revised version of the current V8, and a new 8AT. Refresh the inside completely with remote touch etc and refresh the exterior and Lexus will have done a good job keeping a cash cow moving. Evolutions, not revolutions!
View attachment 1074 The last GX they almost pulled the trigger on, and a neat shot comparing our 4Runner to the GX :)
View attachment 1075

Sorry for the lengthy reply, I'm just passionate about the GX:)

Great post!!

Reactions
Not that it matters to most of its buyers, but the GX is the only way North Americans can get the Land Cruiser Prado, which even many of the hardcore LC enthusiasts would prefer to have.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
The GX stays in pretty high demand in my market. The only two gripes I can recall hearing about them is that they're either hard to find and I hear an occasional gripe about the V8. I did lose a sale last month because the customer wanted something of that size but in a V6. I think she ended up with a Lincoln, but I could be mistaken.

One thing I can say for certain is that customers like the size but many of them can't step up to the LX level. 60k truck versus a 97k truck is a big jump.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The GX stays in pretty high demand in my market. The only two gripes I can recall hearing about them is that they're either hard to find and I hear an occasional gripe about the V8. I did lose a sale last month because the customer wanted something of that size but in a V6. I think she ended up with a Lincoln, but I could be mistaken.

One thing I can say for certain is that customers like the size but many of them can't step up to the LX level. 60k truck versus a 97k truck is a big jump.

That is a huge huge gap...

LexusTechSA

Founding Member
Reactions
The Toyota/Lexus body on frame SUVs and Pick ups usually have a 10 year cycle on new models. So we may have to wait a bit longer. I don't know if Lexus will drop the GX as it uses the same running gear as the Toyota Prado, which is very popular in other parts of the world, so it is not a huge expense to develop.