What is Lexus Planning for the Next-Generation LS?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
A LS coupe is defiantly needed. I would love to see Lexus go the Tesla route and introduced at least on new all electric plug in vehicle that updates can be sent to over the air as new technology is introduced.

No offense to Tesla, but having a vehicle that can receive updates to its software systems over the air...that's a security and reliability nightmare. Call me old fashioned, but I like my cars to be more traditional in a sense. To me a car is not a toy; it's not a phone. It's a car. Sure cars can be fun, but that doesn't make them literally a toy. For the vast majority, a car is the second biggest purchase people make in their life. Considering this, I personally believe that for the main fundamental aspects of a car...if it ain't broken, best to leave it alone. Sure things can be improved on, but the fundamental aspect of a system shouldn't be changed (just for the sake of change) if it works extremely well.

I do mostly support innovation and new ideas...but only if they provide a realistic and practical use. Innovation just for the sake of innovation is not something I'm very fond of. There have been many recent examples of that in the auto industry; many recent supposed innovations some automakers have backpedaled on, due to high customer and owner complaints.

Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
I cannot say enough that a LS F would be a most welcome addition and I think a huge hit. The S63 is now a 150k car easy and the S8 is 120k and isn't even a direct competitor. There is no M7 but it seems to be in the works. I assume a hypothetical LS F with 500 plus hp (no way its getting the same 5.0 V-8) will be a 110-120k car and to me that is a bargain in comparison to what else is offered out there and might get some good attention. (mind you a Porsche Pan Turbo and Quattroporte GTS etc are all 150k cars as well).

My hopes are it offers SWB AND LWB versions, I just don't see much of the point in saving 100lbs with much less space over the LWB version (I believe the AMG's are LWB only now in the states). That is one thing I do wish for on my LS, that is was a LWB.

Elsewhere, I think a 6 cylinder hybrid makes sense over a V-8 one, something that truly offers more economy. Imagine a 30 MPG LS!!! I looked at the A8 L Diesel as well but most were in the 90k range and there was no sport package but the 28 MPG looked nice.

Like most here, the S class interior is simply at least 2-3 times better than anything else out right now. It is utterly stunning and the dual iPad screens don't look bad at all. If Lexus can come close or trump that interior, people will go wild!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Just to add to that Lexfather, the idea of a "super LS" or an LS with a "super luxury" variant excites me just as much as an LS F. If Lexus somehow manages to introduce both with the next-gen LS, then WOW, it will stand toe-to-toe with the S Class in many ways, if not exceed the S Class in other ways.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Just to add to that Lexfather, the idea of a "super LS" or an LS with a "super luxury" variant excites me just as much as an LS F. If Lexus somehow manages to introduce both with the next-gen LS, then WOW, it will stand toe-to-toe with the S Class in many ways, if not exceed the S Class in other ways.

And if they want to go after the S65 too (its a 210k car so I would imagine the LS would be 150k) I am all for that too :D

Lexus-LS-TMG-Sports-650-1.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
If Lexus introduced their own version of say, an S600 or S600 Maybach, along with an S65 competitor, oh man, that would be a dream. I know the LS600h gets close, but it's not quite there yet compared to an S600 or certainly not an S600 Maybach.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

This is my hope as well, and something that makes a ton of sense. When Mark Templin mentioned a "luxury halo", that's what my mind went to immediately.

mikeavelli

Reactions
This is my hope as well, and something that makes a ton of sense. When Mark Templin mentioned a "luxury halo", that's what my mind went to immediately.
If Lexus introduced their own version of say, an S600 or S600 Maybach, along with an S65 competitor, oh man, that would be a dream. I know the LS600h gets close, but it's not quite there yet compared to an S600 or certainly not an S600 Maybach.

Interesting and clearly more in the traditional Lexus direction...I've been lucky enough to have some time in the S600 Maybach and while it had the plushest carpet I've ever seen, it simply does not differentiate itself enough for me to warrant the extra cost. But I sure as hell ain't the target buyer lol.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well said krew and LexFather :). You read my mind krew, as I thought the exact same thing when Mark Templin was speaking about different kinds of halos.