What do you think about a Lexus Pickup Truck?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I don't know whether it will happen, but I know it follows The Principle of Technicals: given sufficient time any Toyota-made pick-up truck will appear on the news carrying machine guns (maybe tank turrets) and painted with extremist symbols.

Honestly that's a plus point for Toyota not minus

It means that Toyotas are the only vehicles that can face any weather in any place in the world

It's the Arctic main vehicle and only vehicle reaches the north pole, and in the same time it works well in the desert land of aussie and not stopped even after loading huge loads in 60's + weather in the middle east

Same car with no modification what so ever and all affordable can get you where you want regardless your payload capacity and weight

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Let me throw in some commentary on the Motor.es article that begat this thread. It is in no way, shape or form suggesting that a Lexus pickup truck will actually happen. They are simply indulging in "what-if" and "wouldn't it be nice?" The title Ya es hora de ver un pickup premium híbrido de Lexus en el mercado (It's about time we saw a premium hybrid pickup from Lexus on the market) says it all. There are (by my count) about 4 mentions in the text of the article that such a Lexus pickup truck should have a hybrid powertrain (even though Toyota has yet to show such a powertrain) and ends by saying that such a hybrid pickup would be "a very interesting alternative" to a Mercedes X-Class.

An earlier passage states that "Lexus should dare to create a premium hybrid pickup. Its critically acclaimed, reliable and efficient hybrid technology would be the perfect incentive to make its mark with a pickup that would bear the marque's emblem".

They freely admit to basing their rendering on a Tacoma double cab, and they link to an earlier article that not only sings the praises (while also admitting to some disadvantages) of body-on-frame SUVs, but reminds us how inextricably linked those SUVs are to pickup trucks. They cite the under-the-skin commonality between Toyota's Hilux and Land Cruiser Prado; Ford's Ranger and upcoming Bronco; Jeep Wrangler's upcoming Scrambler pickup version; and the Nissan Navara / Renault Alaskan / Mercedes X-Class pickup triplets' SUV sibling, the Chinese-market Nissan Terra.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Currently CUV's are top selling vehicles followed by pickup trucks, SUV's, sedans and least sold are hatchbacks and coupes. Lexus can capitalize on a Tundra based luxury pickup truck (LT 570). The Cadillac Escalade EXT pickup truck was around from 2002 through 2013 and the Lincoln LT was around from 2006 through 2008. A Tundra based Lexus luxury pickup would work in U.S. and the Middle East whereas a Tacoma based Lexus luxury pickup (RT 350) would work for the rest of the world.

On anther note it appears Lexus is considering a luxury minivan LM 350 and LM 300h based off of the Vellfire and Alphard to compete with Mercedes Metris minivan. I'm totally for it as well...

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I don't know
If a full sized truck will be successful in USA why for example Benz choose the midsized Frontier instead of the fullsized Titan, you already said the most flop examples EXT & LT, still the same question why Lincoln and Cadillac did not bring them back if they got market instead of making F-150, Silverado more luxurious.

The new RAM 150 is what i mean, it does not have to be from luxury maker to be advertised as luxury pickup

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
An earlier passage states that "Lexus should dare to create a premium hybrid pickup. Its critically acclaimed, reliable and efficient hybrid technology would be the perfect incentive to make its mark with a pickup that would bear the marque's emblem".

I remember awhile back Toyota debut a concept hybrid pickup truck called the A-BAT. It's a little bit on the small side.

toyota_A-BAT-Concept-DAS-DV-08-011.jpg

I say that Lexus should take the A-BAT and bring it to the Lexus side. Lexus needs an onslaught of products to bring back excitement and bring new customers and keep existing customers.

LT 570 - Full size luxury pickup truck based off the Tundra
RT 350 - Mid size luxury pickup truck based off the Tacoma
IT 300 - Compact luxury pickup truck based off the Hilux
NT 300h - Sub-compact luxury hybrid pickup truck based off the A-BAT

BMW has seven CUV's, wagons and I love the 3 & 5 Series GT. Lexus please bring luxury pickup trucks, luxury minivans, luxury wagons and luxury hatchbacks...

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly I am not agree with you or anyone saying a Full sized Hybrid may do well, because it won't

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Here's another rendering of a Lexus luxury pickup truck using an RX front end on a Hilux and looks pretty good. On Clublexus there is also talk about a Lexus pickup truck as well and they over 5 pages and 109 posts (more traffic/members). There are a few supporters of a Lexus pickup truck on Clublexus and I'm the only sole supporter of a Lexus luxury pickup truck on this forum. I should ask those supporters (a few guys and one gal) to come on this forum to back me up.

untitled_1_854db62966d3f5b8ba29520217de01358f5ce1d5.jpg

Reactions: Den

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly I am not pro luxury maker truck @all but I am pro luxury truck made by a normal truck maker aka
GMC
Chevrolet
Ford
Ram
Toyota
Nissan
If we are talking about Full Size
Same plus Mitsubishi & Isuzu if we are talking about Mid Size

For me European is non, as they don't made a total pure 100% truck by there own and all trucks they have now is just rebadging, I may accept to be in Indian Tata pickup truck more than my acceptance to Hilux based Lexus or Navara based Benz

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
Here's another rendering of a Lexus luxury pickup truck using an RX front end on a Hilux and looks pretty good. On Clublexus there is also talk about a Lexus pickup truck as well and they over 5 pages and 109 posts (more traffic/members). There are a few supporters of a Lexus pickup truck on Clublexus and I'm the only sole supporter of a Lexus luxury pickup truck on this forum. I should ask those supporters (a few guys and one gal) to come on this forum to back me up.

untitled_1_854db62966d3f5b8ba29520217de01358f5ce1d5.jpg
Looks great. I don't see why not. I would buy one if Lexus makes it.

Reactions: Den

mikeavelli

Reactions
I remember awhile back Toyota debut a concept hybrid pickup truck called the A-BAT. It's a little bit on the small side.

toyota_A-BAT-Concept-DAS-DV-08-011.jpg

I say that Lexus should take the A-BAT and bring it to the Lexus side. Lexus needs an onslaught of products to bring back excitement and bring new customers and keep existing customers.

LT 570 - Full size luxury pickup truck based off the Tundra
RT 350 - Mid size luxury pickup truck based off the Tacoma
IT 300 - Compact luxury pickup truck based off the Hilux
NT 300h - Sub-compact luxury hybrid pickup truck based off the A-BAT

BMW has seven CUV's, wagons and I love the 3 & 5 Series GT. Lexus please bring luxury pickup trucks, luxury minivans, luxury wagons and luxury hatchbacks...

I thought the A BAT got the green light?