What are your biggest annoyances with cars?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I see this thread is going to get a lot of posts........probably because we can all let off steam here about our automotive dislikes.;)

Here's two more of my peeves.............First, center-stack gauges. The manufacturers that did this on some of their models (Scion, Toyota, Saturn, Nissan, and Panoz) claimed that it was a safety and visibility issue........getting the gauges out from behind the steering wheel where the wheel couldn't block their view. But what I see is a cheap cost-cutting attempt to use more or less the same dashboard parts for left-hand/right-hand drive versions for different markets.

IonInt.jpg

Second, red and blue idiot-lights for engine-coolant temperature instead of a proper gauge. The blue lights usually go off when the anti-freeze reaches around 140 degrees (minimal warm-up), and the red (hot) lights from 220-250 degrees, wherever they are programmed.

I like a conventional temperature-gauge because both myself and my brother have owned cars with gauges that, because of the rising/falling needles, gave early-warning of failed cooling-system parts (thermostat, electric cooling-fan, etc...)...... BEFORE the engine actually got hot enough to trigger the red warning light. The needle, in my brother's old car, also showed some erratic up/down movement above the normal range from a defective thermostat...but, again, not quite enough to quite overheat things. Idiot lights cannot provide this cushion of early warning....they don't let you know that something is wrong until the engine is actually overheated and possibly damaged. Conversely, they also don't let you know if a defective thermostat is opening up a tad too early (but still above 140 degrees), and preventing a full warm-up.

Again, the auto companies try to justify this as more informative than gauges...and that a driver is more likely to see a sudden-flashing red or blue light than a slowly-wavering needle, but, again, I'm not convinced. Again, I see cost-cutting......a couple of tiny bulbs are cheaper than a needle-gauge.

temperature_warning_light.gif

00b003760a0d02b700ee644c1bd53c7d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I like a conventional temperature-gauge because both myself and my brother have owned cars with gauges that, because of the rising/falling needles, gave early-warning of failed cooling-system parts (thermostat, electric cooling-fan, etc...)...... BEFORE the engine actually got hot enough to trigger the red warning light. The needle, in my brother's old car, also showed some erratic up/down movement above the normal range from a defective thermostat...but, again, not quite enough to quite overheat...
Yes I get all that and thankfully we are out of the 70's/80's crap car timeframe where the rising/falling temp gauge needles might have been very useful, although most here today are owners of modern vehicles on Lexus forum).

And what kind of car was your brothers old car and just how old was it?...

Notes: Mazda Shyactiv engines use 2 color/3 mode dual warning light temp system, to warn BEFORE severe overheating actually occurs, useful to both car savvy and apathetic drivers. Better than inaccurate and buffered temp gauges in most cars. Because the gauges on cars so equipped are not accurate, most automakers have supplemental warning lights programmed for advance warning (BEFORE severe overheating) in 2015.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Did the injectors themselves actually fail and have to be replaced, or were they just gummed up with carbon deposits and other crap from using cheap cut-rate gas brands without proper detergent additives? Some gas can have enough octane for ping/knock resistance, yet still gum the engine and fuel system up from lack of proper additives. In general, though most national-name brands have an adequate deterrent package in them, Shell and Chevron, from whatI've seen, are generally considered to be the best.

Its a worldwide recall on these engines - the injectors failed. They are made by Bosch - a major supplied of injectors for many car makers.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
The other cars that annoys me in almost all cars are the unnecessary tense seatbelts. I find myself pulling the lower portion of the seatbelt over my left knee while driving, because its just unbearable on my body. Lexus probably make the most comfortable seatbelts that don't have much tension unless necessary. My old LS400 even had a feature called seatbelt tensioner reducer, that actually employed an electronic solenoid that activated once the seatbelt was buckled up, and eliminated tension almost completely. Of course, once unbuckled the solenoid would deactivate and allow the spring to pull the seatbelt back up.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
IS-SV said:
Yes I get all that and thankfully we are out of the 70's/80's crap car timeframe where the rising/falling temp gauge needles might have been very useful.

And what kind of car was your brothers old car and just how old was it?...

It certainly wasn't "70s/80s crap". It was a non-turbo Subaru Impreza from the early 2000s.

Notes: Mazda Shyactiv engines use 2 color/3 mode dual warning light temp system, to warn BEFORE severe overheating actually occurs, useful to both car savvy and apathetic drivers. Better than inaccurate and buffered temp gauges in most cars. Because the gauges on cars so equipped are not accurate, most automakers have supplemental warning lights programmed for advance warning (BEFORE severe overheating) in 2015.

Yes, agreed, if Mazda is using that multi-tier system, that is definitely an improvement...no arguments there. But I'm not convinced it's better than gauges, which cover all of the tiers. ;) And the gauges aren't really that inaccurate, unless people's eyes are so bad that they can't see precisely where the needle is. However, I respect your opinion on it.

How do you feel about center-stack gauges?....or don't you have an opinion on it? You usually reply if you do.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
It certainly wasn't "70s/80s crap". It was a non-turbo Subaru Impreza from the early 2000s.

Yes, agreed, if Mazda is using that multi-tier system, that is definitely an improvement...no arguments there. But I'm not convinced it's better than gauges, which cover all of the tiers. ;) And the gauges aren't really that inaccurate, unless people's eyes are so bad that they can't see precisely where the needle is. However, I respect your opinion on it.

How do you feel about center-stack gauges?....or don't you have an opinion on it? You usually reply if you do.

Yes I remember those crap (crap of early 2000's) Subies well, and knew several with problems. A temp gauge really didn't solve the problems. And Subies solution was often a bandaid for poor design (including coolant additive w/sealants).

And the gauges really aren't accurate (ignoring the fact that few have poor vision that is), you can research how they are buffered to smooth readings. Depending on them is not advised, that's why latest and best automakers have other supplemental early warning systems today. A buffered temp gauge WITHOUT supplemental warning lights creates even more risk.

Like you I dislike center mounted gauges, usually just cost-savings for international models. I dislike how it's done in Minis, actually I dislike the whole modern Mini concept/car lineup.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes I remember those crap (crap of early 2000's) Subies well, and knew several with problems. A temp gauge really didn't solve the problems. And Subies solution was often a bandaid for poor design (including coolant additive w/sealants).

His wasn't crap, though. It was quite reliable for almost 10 years, except for a CV-boot and thermostat replacements (the one that they put in to replace it was also defective, so that temp-gauge actually helped out twice). But, other that that, virtually bulletproof.

The coolant-additive you mentioned covered the 2.5L non-turbo engines from 1999 to 2003 and extended their warranty (they had had some factory-noted head-gasket problems). My brother's car was an earlier Impreza with the virtually bulletproof 2.0L engine.

Like you I dislike center mounted gauges, usually just cost-savings for international models. I dislike how it's done in Minis, actually I dislike the whole modern Mini concept/car lineup.

Mini itself, on the newest versions, has taken that ridiculous dinner-plate-sized central speedometer, put other functions in it instead, and placed a smaller speedometer back behind the steering wheel. Here's an example:

AR-311259949.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The coolant-additive you mentioned covered the 2.5L non-turbo engines from 1999 to 2003 and extended their warranty (they had had some factory-noted head-gasket problems). My brother's car was an earlier Impreza with the virtually bulletproof 2.0L engine.

Yes my mother has the earlier Impreza still, very reliable.

Thanks for pics of new Mini dash, what a mess.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
His wasn't crap, though. It was quite reliable for almost 10 years, except for a CV-boot and thermostat replacements (the one that they put in to replace it was also defective, so that temp-gauge actually helped out twice). But, other that that, virtually bulletproof.

Mini itself, on the newest versions, has taken that ridiculous dinner-plate-sized central speedometer, put other functions in it instead, and placed a smaller speedometer back behind the steering wheel. Here's an example:

AR-311259949.jpg

One of the most expensive BMW's ever also used center gauges.

J4peFj2.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
One of the most expensive BMW's ever also used center gauges.

So did the Panoz Esperante....a semi-exotic sports car. But that doesn't mean that some people have to like them.

Notice, though, on the Panoz, that it not only uses a Mustang Cobra V8, but previous-generation Mustang gauges in that center-section as well.

Panoz-Esperante_Jan_Magnussen_Edition_2003_photo_0e.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm well aware of Toyota's dual injection tech, thats been around since the 2GR-FSE engine has launched, and its somewhat a solution against carbonization, but it also carries twice the components so there is more stuff to break. And it's still got the direct injection, which is always suspect to being vunerable. And with manufacturers upping engine compression along with direct injection pressure, these components are just not going to last.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but with diesel engines air to fuel ratio does not matter. With diesel engines there is not throttle plate, its speed is regulated by how much fuel you supply. So in essence with diesels you can not have a mixture that is lean - the engine will just run slower. Of course if you supply more fuel than can be burned, you will get poor fuel economy, lot of unburned fuel and lot of smoke, but the engine will still run just fine. This was often the case with traditional diesels there weren't direct injected, and often were naturally aspirated, and used mechanical fuel pumps.

With modern direct injected diesels they regulate the mixture with high pressure turbos and high pressure injection systems. On my relatively old Ford 6.0 powerstroke diesel, the 26,000psi electro hydraulic injectors were able to keep the truck running (albeit poorly) even after the fuel pump failed - they produced enough suction to pull fuel from the tank and pump it into the engine. My new MB sprinter van uses new piezo injectors that are injecting several times per piston stroke to keep down the noise. It generated very little noise (can hardly tell its a diesel), no smoke (but it does produce ammonia smell from the exhaust) and gets about 50% better fuel economy than the Ford, and the Ford's fuel economy was pretty good for a full size van to begin with. Newer diesels from Ford are also using piezo injectors that are operating at 30,000 psi.

And while I welcome the increased fuel economy, the increased maintenance and repair expenses easily offset it. Plus there is the higher initial cost. But at least with diesels the fuel saving is real, while I can't necessary say the same for gasoline engines with these high pressure direct injection fuel systems. One of my cars already had all injectors replaced under warranty with just 17k miles. Don't get me wrong, they are great when they are new and working as prescribed, but I don't trust them to last long term. When we are talking 30,000 psi - Toyota or not, they will eventually fail and cost a fortune in repairs.

Not quite sure where you're heading with this.

No cars last forever. Eventually everything fails.

Keeping everything in context though, as IS-SV has mentioned, engines using Toyota's D4-S system have now racked up many miles and kilometers over the years. There's plenty of such engines out there now with 200,000+ miles running trouble-free. Yes there are a few slightly more problematic parts, again like IS-SV mentioned, such as 2IS water pumps and nav screen issues.

Keeping on the topic of injectors and fuel systems, yes all parts eventually fail, but that's not the point here. The point is that Toyota's unique system so far has displayed and exemplified traditional Toyota reliability. This is a system that has been on the market for almost 10 years now.

The horror stories and problems with all the Bosch injectors however started happening soon after the first production BMWs came out with those injectors and fuel pumps.

Its a worldwide recall on these engines - the injectors failed. They are made by Bosch - a major supplied of injectors for many car makers.

It's a good thing then that Bosch barely supplies any injectors for Toyota, especially for current modern models.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I have to admit the 3IS sideview mirrors not tilting down in reverse is just ridiculous. When I drive the yellow one I have to manually change the mirrors so not to curb the wheels etc... It is annoying.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I have to admit the 3IS sideview mirrors not tilting down in reverse is just ridiculous. When I drive the yellow one I have to manually change the mirrors so not to curb the wheels etc... It is annoying.

The 3Gen IS comes in Yellow? I didn't know that....didn't see it on the Lexus website. Or is it a special non-factory paint job like that Marimer-Blue BMW you showed us?

My 1Gen IS300 did come in yellow, but Lexus only kept that color a for year or two.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The 3Gen IS comes in Yellow? I didn't know that....didn't see it on the Lexus website. Or is it a special non-factory paint job like that Marimer-Blue BMW you showed us?

My 1Gen IS300 did come in yellow, but Lexus only kept that color a for year or two.

This one does :)....its the Vossen Project IS 350 F-Sport...and after much debate I won out on painting it LFA Pearl Yellow......

Lexus_IS_VFS1_d6f.jpg

I'll have a video and some history on the car coming soon.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This one does :)....its the Vossen Project IS 350 F-Sport...and after much debate I won out on painting it LFA Pearl Yellow......

OK, Thanks. I see.....another Vossen special. ;)

Och

Admirer
Reactions

That is an awesome color. Have you had any experience with film wrapping vs paint?

Reactions

Lexus_IS_VFS1_d6f.jpg

No offense Mike, but IIRC, F Sport package ISs come with the LED lights? clearly the company IS has the HID units...perhaps the vehicle started life as a barebones IS with a retrofitted F Sport fascia, or perhaps this a "crusher" car lol.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi Guys, I think I should start another thread as not to take away from this current one :)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I just have to say, the 3IS looks STUNNING in yellow. Lexus seriously needs to offer yellow again on the IS :).