VW leads all automakers in 2015 first-half sales. (UPDATE: Toyota now #1)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Look at all the nations with VW diesel stop sales and investigations as of today, when this started as looking like a US problem only ...

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Look at all the nations with VW diesel stop sales and investigations as of today, when this started as looking like a US problem only ...

Do you have a current, up-to-date list (or a link?) of those countries with an actual stop-sale order or investigation? (outside the U.S/Canada, of course, some of the most likely countries would be in Western Europe, South Korea, and Japan). Not all countries, of course, actually regulate diesel-emissions or have a reason to investigate.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Do you have an up-to-date list (or a link?) of those countries with an actual stop-sale order or investigation? Not all countries, of course, actually regulate diesel-emissions or have a reason to investigate.

No, just seeing news piecemeal, not articles with complete lists. Recent adds include Austrailia and Spain. New countries are being added almost daily.

The few countries that don't regulate diesel emissions at all don't count for much VW diesel sales, so they hardly matter. The lucrative and /or higher volume markets have varying degrees of regulation sometimes based on older Euro 2 - Euro 5 regs (even in developing nations)

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Overseas countries with stop sales currently include: Spain, Australia, Switzerland, Italy, The Netherlands, with more added it seems by the day. Very hard to keep track of all the countries having stop sales being added.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Add Singapore to list of countries taking action on VW (not) clean diesels.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not denying that's happening in Singapore, but IMO this would be better-posted in the main VW scandal thread. Your call, though.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/volkswagen-emissions-cheating-disaster-main-thread.1023/

Not really, because Singpore posting of mine alone doesn't justify the move.

Moving all 7 of above posts might make sense. Although, "stop sales" in too many countries to count impacts VW sales race to #1 spot (topic here), that's why these posts by us are here and relevant.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
These posts are relevant enough to be posted either here or the main VW thread. Here they're fine because these stop sales directly affect VW's worldwide sales position.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
These posts are relevant enough to be posted either here or the main VW thread. Here they're fine because these stop sales directly affect VW's worldwide sales position.

We'll also have to see if it significantly affects Audi sales, as some Audi products share those TDIs.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
We'll also have to see if it significantly affects Audi sales, as some Audi products share those TDIs.

Yes, I'm expecting some impact on Audi ww sales.

Less impact on Audi US sales, since they don't have the high 20% diesel share that VW US has.

Also the less predictable impact is from other other (non-diesel) buyers, people that don't want to deal with unethical company like VW/Audi for a few years. I know I won't buy one for sure, nor will I recommend one to friends and family when they query me on car selections as they often do.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yes, I'm expecting some impact on Audi ww sales.

Less impact on Audi US sales, since they don't have the high 20% diesel share that VW US has.

Also the less predictable impact is from other other (non-diesel) buyers, people that don't want to deal with unethical company like VW/Audi for a few years. I know I won't buy one for sure, nor will I recommend one to friends and family when they query me on car selections as they often do.

guys, there is no impact on their sales at all... Audi sales went up VW in September!

Why?

Because stop sales only relate to old 2015 models that were phased out... VW timed out the annoucment to coincide with EuroVI rules that require new Euro VI engines - which work fine. Thus any stop sales have only been for old stock vehicles, which there were not many of in Europe.

So when it comes to sales, this does not impact them anywhere but in USA, where their sales are pretty low so it does not matter anyway.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lexfather said:
I just looked, Sales are down 3% this year for VW. Things will only get worse.

http://media.vw.com/release/1049/

With a stop-sales order on the TDIs, I would have expected a steeper loss than that, though, true, it has only been a few weeks since the scandal broke. We'll see what happens by the end of the year.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
With a stop-sales order on the TDIs, I would have expected a steeper loss than that, though, true, it has only been a few weeks since the scandal broke. We'll see what happens by the end of the year.

stop sale in the europe is only for 2015 models that had old Euro V emissions... new models on the lot had Euro VI and are selling. VW timed their press release to coincide with stock being full of new engines.........

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Regarding 2016 TDI's in Europe, VW has issued "stop sale" now. Looks like a limited number of Euro5 cars maybe....

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Regarding 2016 TDI's in Europe, VW has issued "stop sale" now. Looks like a limited number of Euro5 cars maybe....

this is stock vehicles, same as before... very few of these cars are at dealers, so it matters very little.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
As easily predicted, Toyota recaptured world #1 title:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/

Toyota recaptured the title of world's largest automaker from Volkswagen in the third quarter of 2015, suggesting that the Japanese automaker may retain the title for the full year.

German automaker Volkswagen had seized the top spot through the first six months of the year, edging closer to its long-running goal of becoming the globe's biggest vehicle manufacturer for a full calendar year.

But the goal may prove elusive — especially considering that Volkswagen's emissions scandal was revealed with less than two weeks to go in the third quarter, leaving little time to gauge the full impact at dealerships.

Toyota still dethroned Volkswagen, selling 7.498 million vehicles during the first nine months of the year, a 1.5% decline from the same period in 2014.

Volkswagen sold 7.431 million vehicles during the first nine months of the year, also representing a 1.5% decline.

Now, the fourth quarter reflects a crucial test for Volkswagen, which is facing numerous investigations and a hail of criticism over its installation of manipulative software on 11 million vehicles to cheat emissions tests.

The company has stopped selling the diesel cars involved in the scandal until it can deliver a fix, leaving dealers with a gaping hole in their lineup. That will ding sales, although Volkswagen is expected to discount vehicles to juice sales.

Several years ago, Volkswagen's former CEO, Martin Winterkorn, had charted a goal of becoming the world's largest automaker by 2018.

After the first sixth months of the year, Volkswagen had achieved that goal, outselling Toyota by 5.04 million to 5.02 million.

Meanwhile, General Motors, once the perennial No. 1, is now firmly entrenched in the No. 3. slot. The Detroit-based automaker sold 7.151 million vehicles during the first nine months of the year, down 1.3%.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So far, there has been no impact at sales... what impacted VW sales is sharp drop in VW's sales in China, which is huge part of their worldwide sales (3x bigger than Toyota's marketshare there). Drop started in July... it wont recover that soon.

However, VW will eventually become #1, there is no doubt about it... Toyota is simply not building capacity like they are, they are focused on profits and optimizations of current plants.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Exactly the points covered earlier in the thread including discussion of profitability, VW seemed to be (or at least was) the party most concerned with race to #1 spot.

Change of plans now, as they participate in the race to record biggest losses (most red ink) for a major automaker in 2015 after they book billions more loss provisions in Q4 2015. Yep China economy and diesel fraud fiasco are double whammy, not to mention unfortunate impact on shareholder wealth. Yes, agreed VW will eventually recover #1 spot, key word is eventually since still a lot of corporate turmoil before the actual turnaround/rebound with a renewed focus on profits maybe....

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'd watch Hyundai/Kia carefully...........though they are admittedly down several points in size right now compared to VW, Toyota, and GM, they are growing fast enough worldwide that they could (eventually) threaten the leaders. But, like Steve, I'll use the term "eventually" as a key word, since it's not likely to happen in the next few years, especially if VW can get past their current problems. Beyond that, though, it's a different story......though they are currently having a difficult time (despite excellent products) breaking into the large-sedan and pickup truck categories, they are succeeding quite well in many others.

Last edited: