krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-06-12-lexus-touchscreen-video.jpg

With the debut of the updated 2020 RX crossover, Lexus has reintroduced the touchscreen to their infotainment system — here’s a video demonstration of the technology with Chad Deschenes of Lexus College:

Continue reading...

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Touchpad as concept is superior to touchscreen, I can vouch my house :)
Problem is their inferior development and implementation because they/Toyota struggle in UI department which is obvious even in this newest implementation of touchscreen. Pay close attention how wrong it is to have split screen option on the right side like climate control shown in the video. Unless system can recognize if the passenger is tapping on the screen which I highly doubt, there is absolutely zero sense to have the split screen which you interact with on demand to show up on the right side of the screen instead of the left. Map is really not that important so it should move to the right side of the screen while climate control should be on the left for easy reach. They are making some basic mistakes that tell me it's a rush job.

Reactions
Touchpad as concept is superior to touchscreen, I can vouch my house :)
Problem is their inferior development and implementation because they/Toyota struggle in UI department which is obvious even in this newest implementation of touchscreen. Pay close attention how wrong it is to have split screen option on the right side like climate control shown in the video. Unless system can recognize if the passenger is tapping on the screen which I highly doubt, there is absolutely zero sense to have the split screen which you interact with on demand to show up on the right side of the screen instead of the left. Map is really not that important so it should move to the right side of the screen while climate control should be on the left for easy reach. They are making some basic mistakes that tell me it's a rush job.

The climate system already has real buttons though. No need to tap the screen to adjust the climate.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
The climate system already has real buttons though. No need to tap the screen to adjust the climate.

Unfortunately you do if you want to adjust seat heating/ventilation. Whole splits screen thing is unnecessary cause it doesn't add anything really. Most used purpose of split screen is to fiddle with music and Lexus did acknowledge that by introducing physical buttons for media control on LC and UX right next to touchpad as it should be. For some reason they still want you to raise and stretch your land in new LS to do these things.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
On the 5LS at least I've never taken the seats off Auto - it does a much better job than previous models at having the seats track the HVAC temperature and do the right thing.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Touchpad's superior in a stationary environment. It's not so great in a moving car.

It's underdeveloped, system lacks any notion that car is on the running on the road and doesn't include body rock and shake to adjust the touchpad sensitivity so margin of error escalates compared to when car is stationary. Touchpad shape and display shape have conflicting ratios, touchpad width is too narrow compared to the width of the screen so your brain instinctively tells you that you have more room to travel with your finger than you actually do. In reality maneuvering between interaction areas is super tight, which again is great when vehicle is stationary but bad when vehicle is moving.

Lexus doesn't need high tech solutions to make touchpad great it just needs more thorough thinking that's all.

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
Having Android Auto is good step forward but they should have done it 3 years ago. The whole system is still lousy and looks like a thousand patches done on an already broken thing. They integrate the touchscreen because that's the easiest way to solve the problem without using their mind. They are already a lot of obvious flaws by watching the videos. As someone mentioned earlier that right side button is unreachable from driver side. The split screen is there only because that's what they came up with when they enlarged their screen. Again something they are paying for now for their quick and dirty implementations on giving customers a larger screen. The whole interface is still for remote touch system. And moreover I have never seen how to control Android Auto thru touchpad? Don't tell me it's not compatible. I mean yes the system is usable now but keep in mind that it's because of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I don't see Toyota or Lexus are making ANY CONTRIBUTIONS here to make their system better.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
And it's quite painful to see that a ChDM Corolla at $20k is getting a more modern and usable infotainment than any Lexus...and the JDM Crown has the dual-screen system (something everybody else are doing too) that's way better than the Lexus implementation of a super wide split-screen that will inevitably have accessibility issue.

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
Yes I feel Lexus America is especially incompetent in doing the infotainment system. I actually don't know they are any useful. All the car designs are done by Lexus Japan. And the only thing they need to do is the infotainment localization. They could've added a lot more feature but I don't see they are trying. It's laughable that they use OTA only to remove features from App Suite as far as I know.

Reactions
I have a question if you allow
I own a Lexus rx 2017 Can I upgrade the screen and control system ?? I want an Apple carplay

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
I own a Lexus rx 2017 Can I upgrade the screen and control system ?? I want an Apple carplay

Money not being a concern, I would assume maybe granted they did not due any large architectural changes. However, there exists a aftermarket vendor who does enable their own version of AA and CP. While not oe, and security concerns aside, might be something to look into.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Why doesn't Lexus just copy the BMW iDrive dial where you turn to select right-left and press the dial to select? Best system I've ever used to date and it is unaffected by any bumps

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Why doesn't Lexus just copy the BMW iDrive dial where you turn to select right-left and press the dial to select? Best system I've ever used to date and it is unaffected by any bumps
I think the idrive system maybe on its way out, and touchscreens are coming back. Case in point Audi mmi.

Reactions

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. Just wanted to let you know you can add CarPlay and Android Auto support to various Lexus cars from model year
2013-2020.

Here is a demonstration video:

Here is a list of cars it supports
2014-2017 Lexus CT 200h with Factory Navigation
2013-2014 Lexus GS 350 / 450h with or without Factory Navigation.
2015-2017 Lexus GS 200t / 350 / 450h / GS F with or without Factory Navigation
2018-2020 Lexus GS 300 / 350 / 450h / GS F with or without Factory Navigation
2013-2017 Lexus LS 460 / 600h L with Factory Navigation
2013-2019 Lexus RX 350 / 450h with Factory Navigation
2013-2018 Lexus ES 350 / 300h with Factory Navigation
2014-2016 Lexus IS 250 / 200t / 300 / 350 / with Factory Navigation
2015-2017 Lexus RC 200t / 300 / 350 / RC F with Factory Navigation
2015-2017 Lexus NX 200t / 300h with Factory Navigation
2013-2017 Lexus LS 460 / 600h L with Factory Navigation
2016-2020 Lexus LX 570 with or without Factory Navigation

You purchase it here

Here is an install video for a 2017 RX350

Here is their Youtube channel on how to install various devices in Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, & other vehicles