Updated 2016 Lexus ES Debuts at Auto Shanghai

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Looks like Canada will get the V6, Hybrid, and a new 2.5 4 Cylinder option for the 2016 ES.

Really? :confused:

Here in Canada, the ES is going to get a 2.5L 4 cylinder option? So they're throwing the Camry's 4-cylinder into the ES now?
I'm sorry but that's a terrible decision!
I seriously wonder who approved this at Lexus?
This is REALLY bad for the image and reputation of the Lexus brand.
It's also not luxury-like at all. It's not as though Canada is similar to European markets who have severe tax rates based on engine displacement.
There is NO good reason to be throwing the Camry's 4-cylinder engine into the ES in Canada, other than for cost cutting reasons.
They could have easily put the 2.0L turbo engine into the ES instead. That engine was specifically designed for Lexus models only.
Shame on Lexus for this move.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Here in Canada, the ES is going to get a 2.5L 4 cylinder option? So they're throwing the Camry's 4-cylinder into the ES now?
It's also not luxury-like at all. It's not as though Canada is similar to European markets who have severe tax rates based on engine displacement.
There is NO good reason to be throwing the Camry's 4-cylinder engine into the ES in Canada, other than for cost cutting reasons.
They could have easily put the 2.0L turbo engine into the ES instead. That engine was specifically designed for Lexus models only.

One of the ES's closest competitors, the Lincoln MKZ, is now using a 2.0L turbo. So are (believe it or not) even some versions of the Audi A6.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
4GR-FSE is a V6 though, and that engine is on it's way out anyway.

Reactions: CIF

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions

The ES300h has a Camry engine and so does the V6. I don't think its a cost cutting tactic, more like lower starting price to compete with the cheap german brands.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The ES300h has a Camry engine and so does the V6. I don't think its a cost cutting tactic, more like lower starting price to compete with the cheap german brands.

The ES300h and V6 powertrains are slightly more premium though at least. If this information is correct, then they're going to be offering the base Camry 4-cylinder engine in the ES in Canada. That's not going forwards, that's going backwards.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
The ES300h and V6 powertrains are slightly more premium though at least. If this information is correct, then they're going to be offering the base Camry 4-cylinder engine in the ES in Canada. That's not going forwards, that's going backwards.
More premium like in a nicer engine cover? :)
If you think the base camry motor is bad, in other markets they also offer a 2.0L which is even more anemic - blame it on the tax/gas prices.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
More premium like in a nicer engine cover? :)
If you think the base camry motor is bad, in other markets they also offer a 2.0L which is even more anemic - blame it on the tax/gas prices.

I don't think you're getting my point. Canada has no specific taxes on engine displacement like European countries. This is a cost-cutting move, plain and simple. The base price of the ES does not need to be lowered further.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
I don't think you're getting my point. Canada has no specific taxes on engine displacement like European countries. This is a cost-cutting move, plain and simple. The base price of the ES does not need to be lowered further.
I think they're just trying to cover all the bases. The new TLX is offer with a 4cyl (abeit slightly more potent than the camry's 4) and they've manage to bring the base price down in the lower $30k so I'm guessing this is their counter move vs acura and other competitors. I don't believe its cost cutting if theyre using the same components, yes smaller engines are cheaper but the product itself is not cheapened. They are just making the ES more attractively-priced. :)