Two Mystery Lexus IS F SPORTs Spotted in California

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Totally agree!
There doesn't seem to be much product differences on theses cars from the current one except for the exterior paint (Redline for sure) and the covered badge.
The one with black tape seems to have a longer badge which I would assume is the AWD part and the one with the beige tape seems to be a RWD.

The turbo 4 cylinder is definitely needed in the IS model range as all its competitors are already there.
I'd be interested to see what the 300 engine is, any thoughts on this???
Well the IS300 is not a turbo as there's no T! However, going by Lexus speak, it could easily be the 2.0 turbo with a greater output. No reason why they couldn't push it up to 310-320hp but its very unlikely.

My thoughts - a 3.0L V6, naturally aspirated and matching the IS350's output or exceeding it.

Reactions
this should be the new turbo. looking at the rear bumper is shown with dual exhaust.
if this was the hybrid it would've have a hidden exhaust like all the other lexus hybrid lineups?
i feel bad for all the lexus is 250 owners with v6 engine.
this should be lighter, powerful, and more fuel efficient.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Totally agree!
There doesn't seem to be much product differences on theses cars from the current one except for the exterior paint (Redline for sure) and the covered badge.
The one with black tape seems to have a longer badge which I would assume is the AWD part and the one with the beige tape seems to be a RWD.

The turbo 4 cylinder is definitely needed in the IS model range as all its competitors are already there.
Well the IS300 is not a turbo as there's no T! However, going by Lexus speak, it could easily be the 2.0 turbo with a greater output. No reason why they couldn't push it up to 310-320hp but its very unlikely.

My thoughts - a 3.0L V6, naturally aspirated and matching the IS350's output or exceeding it.
it is not going to be 300hp engine... it will have 250hp, something close to that... only way to make it have 300hp is to extend the redline which is silly and useless in this kind of vehicle.

PTien

Fan
Reactions

From what I understand Lexus did not have any non hybrid engines in development except for the 200t engine. I would be surprised if this was an all new engine or even a high output 2.0L Turbo (without a "T") and that they would introduce an all new brand wide engine with the IS and here is why I say that:

1) Lexus would not introduce a turbo engine without the "t" or some other markings, its would break the continuity and branding.
2) IS is in the middle of its lifecycles before its lifecycle refresh in 18MY, Lexus would never introduce an all new engine 1 year before such a refresh. They would wait for the update to build on the excitement.
3) if this was a new engine replacing the 350 why wouldn't it be introduced on the new RX, their highest volume vehicle (as we all know the RX is a 350)

We all know what the 200t is already. I'd be very interested to see what the new 300 is. Hopefully I'm wrong and it is some amazing new engine. Lets hope!

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
Totally agree!

it is not going to be 300hp engine... it will have 250hp, something close to that... only way to make it have 300hp is to extend the redline which is silly and useless in this kind of vehicle.
If the IS300 has 250hp, wouldn't that be too close (redundant) to the new IS200t?

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The tape is almost more interesting than the logo, I'm caught up in the mystery...

(I'd love to have a 3.0L tt in a RC or IS for example)

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
All very interesting comments - any chance the 2litre turbo could be put into the ES?
It certainly could use the turbo, and help to align the ES more into the newer Lexus family.
It is rather the odd one out with front wheel drive etc and no longer fits in so well.
Lexus give it some go and configure it differently to fit the current Lexus vision.

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
All very interesting comments - any chance the 2litre turbo could be put into the ES?
It certainly could use the turbo, and help to align the ES more into the newer Lexus family.
It is rather the odd one out with front wheel drive etc and no longer fits in so well.
Lexus give it some go and configure it differently to fit the current Lexus vision.
I disagree. The ES350 has more than enough pep to it's step.

Back to the topic, I'm supremely curious as to what's lying under that tape!

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Yes, wouldn't that be great to have a 2.0t in the fwd ES. That drivetrain and engine configuration is working well for Mercedes in the successful CLA, at a attractive base price.

The purpose of the 2.0L turbo is get similar performance to existing V6 and better fuel economy.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Since were on the topic of the ES slightly, what is the main reason for only FWD? No chance of an AWD ES? I just know that it would help out a lot for us northern US people where it seems like we have snow for like 5-6 months now....

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Since were on the topic of the ES slightly, what is the main reason for only FWD? No chance of an AWD ES? I just know that it would help out a lot for us northern US people where it seems like we have snow for like 5-6 months now....

My guess, fwd allows more attractive pricing in (ES) a lower price category. Does Camry offer Awd now? For the higher priced premium sedans (such as GS and LS) there's less pricing sensitivity.

Those wanting Awd will usually buy crossover SUV.

Related to topic, certainly a turbo4 in ES as predominate engine makes sense.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
AWD ES is RX :) They wont offer ES with 3 engine choices at least for now (dont forget the 200hp hybrid)

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I'd love to see more hybrid engine options,as I live in a country (Norway) where Lexus only offer hybrid versions (except for the RC F): CT 300h,IS 450h and RC 450h would be sweet,especially an RC 450h as the price- and performance gap between the RC 300h and RC F is rather large in a marked that won't get the RC 350.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I'd love to see more hybrid engine options,as I live in a country (Norway) where Lexus only offer hybrid versions (except for the RC F): CT 300h,IS 450h and RC 450h would be sweet,especially an RC 450h as the price- and performance gap between the RC 300h and RC F is rather large in a marked that won't get the RC 350.
I completely agree! But unfortunately we don't present enough sales volume to Lexus International to be able to build a business case around these models. If Lexus were a European brand, we would have had these versions already for a long time ;)
Just imagine that RC 450h... splendid :cool:

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I completely agree! But unfortunately we don't present enough sales volume to Lexus International to be able to build a business case around these models. If Lexus were a European brand, we would have had these versions already for a long time ;)
Just imagine that RC 450h... splendid :cool:
I think you're absolutely right,I just wish Lexus would ignore conventional business logic and take a chance on offering more hybrids. After all,you can't sell what you don't offer,and sometimes established facts can successfully be challenged. The CT was originally not going to be sold in the US because hatchbacks are like marsipan:Europeans love it,but Americans couldn't care less,but they decided to offer it to American consumers and it worked out quite well.

Reactions: Joe

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
AWD ES is RX :) They wont offer ES with 3 engine choices at least for now (dont forget the 200hp hybrid)

Yes, and the old V6 is looking dated and least fuel efficient of 3 possibilities making its long term future questionable. ..