Toyota Rangga Concept (for SEA)

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
The latest Toyota concept is an SEA special designed to succeed the Kijang pickup truck which was hugely popular in Indonesia.

Styling is very retro, and on the IMV platform apparently.toyota-rangga-concept-ambulance-20230813043152.pngcardriveid-20230811-0001-1741324254.png64d49ba8c97e4.pngtoyota-rangga-concept-5-1691726229.jpgToyota-Perkenalkan-Rangga-Concept-Siap-Jadi-Hero-Baru-Para-Pelaku-Usaha-M.-Ichsan-.jpeg64d55e6aab80f.jpeg

Essentially a closer to production version of the IMV-0 Concept revealed awhile back.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Interesting.

1ca3aa88b1b9565c13f026dce4577733c810ef9f952c1c8acc12991f9cb80414.jpg

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I really like the whole modular backend approach. Being a regular cab is kinda neat too. The model in that last picture looks pretty neat.

I wish we still had regular cab Toyotas here in the US. I’ve had my eye out for a 2014+ regular cab, long bed Tundra.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I really like the whole modular backend approach. Being a regular cab is kinda neat too. The model in that last picture looks pretty neat.

I wish we still had regular cab Toyotas here in the US. I’ve had my eye out for a 2014+ regular cab, long bed Tundra.
Tacoma will have what is basically a regular cab with a little bit of storage. I'm curious to see how the market takes to it.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
As someone who spent eight years in the Philippines, I find that jeepney version pretty neat. I doubt it would sell well though. Jeepney owners seem pretty cost conscious, and most jeepneys are super basic without even windows in the back (they’re just open air). I could maybe see this selling as an alternative to some of the private jeepneys or as an alternative for van hires that typically use HiAces. I’m not sure the market is there. Cool idea though.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Hilux Champ is mobility that helps make your vision come true and your life more colorful, from business to private life, through customizability. At the launch in Thailand, 11 customized models were introduced. TMT offers eight grades with an emphasis on covering a variety of business styles and uses. There are short and long-wheelbase versions, three engine types―2.0L gasoline engine, 2.7L gasoline engine, and 2.4L diesel engine―and an unequipped type with a flat deck is also available. Prices range from 459,000 to 577,000 baht.

1701100795960.png

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
2790kg empty weight doesn't sound right. That would mean the truck has GVM of 3790kg which is more than the LC70 and Tundra...I don't think those skinny 195 tires could handle that much weight. I think it's actually 2790kg GVM (1790kg empty and 1000kg payload).

IMO the IMV0/Hilux Champ/Rangga is the best marketing Toyota has done in recent years. They really turned a super low cost, no frills product desirable by selling its customization potential. They made a light utility vehicle cool. And it really appeals to developing market customers as a vehicle that could give them opportunities and change their lives. Way better than the pie in the sky EV trucks that are nothing utilitarian, tough, environment friendly and are only good at killing pedestrians.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I love the customization focus, and I think they could do well with that even in major markets. As all of the major pickups have moved up-market there's space for a cheap-and-cheerful work truck for small business.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I love the customization focus, and I think they could do well with that even in major markets. As all of the major pickups have moved up-market there's space for a cheap-and-cheerful work truck for small business.
I think most major markets already have preferred styles of LCVs. Heavy duty pickups in NA, panel vans in EU, cab-over trucks in East Asia etc.

This Hilux Champ addresses new demands in developing markets where people are becoming rich enough to upgrade from motorized tricycles/Keitoras/Kei vans to proper light trucks. They need the carrying capacity of a heavy duty in a 1/2-ton package for the price of a supermini hatchback.

Will1991

Reactions
Toyota could get bigger inside Daihatsu and have some more of this kind of cheap motoring, maybe even come to Europe as a Dacia competitor.

Don't see how it could b a bad bet honestly, Toyota's are going upmarket on developed countries, so does Lexus going to a even higher standard - the LBX is quite a car for it's size, the RX /RZ are built like a tank with better interiors than Range Rover, etc...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota could get bigger inside Daihatsu and have some more of this kind of cheap motoring, maybe even come to Europe as a Dacia competitor.

Don't see how it could b a bad bet honestly, Toyota's are going upmarket on developed countries, so does Lexus going to a even higher standard - the LBX is quite a car for it's size, the RX /RZ are built like a tank with better interiors than Range Rover, etc...
Given all the troubles Daihatsu got themselves in, I think the last thing they want to be associated with is a Toyota badge on a Daihatsu car.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Given all the troubles Daihatsu got themselves in, I think the last thing they want to be associated with is a Toyota badge on a Daihatsu car.
Speaking of Daihatsu's scandal, as usual, their divisions in the corrupt 3rd world countries, Indonesia and Malaysia, have already continued production because their respective governments have given them the green light to continue lol. Profit first, safety last. I bet Daihatsu back in Japan aren't worrying much about their bank accounts because they sell a lot of cars in just these 2 markets.

There are some Toyota only models that are now either using Daihatsu developed engines(ASEAN Yaris) or are fully developed by Daihatsu, for example the 4th gen Vios and the ASEAN Yaris Cross, they are all part of the affected cars in this scandal. When models like the 4th gen Vios debut, many people on the internet from my part of the world were not happy that this new model is actually a Daihatsu underneath despite still being badge as a Toyota and sold at Toyota prices, and now that this scandal is out, their criticisms have become more valid than ever.