Toyota Named Third Most Obstructive Company Towards Climate Change After ExxonMobil, Chevron

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

The article mentions is a summary from a watchdog group Influence Map (I havent gone into detail to find their associations so excuse me).
  1. Corporate Lobbying. The point sounded like a strategy/talking point. The "election connection" with their linkage with climate denial in the past. Would be less opinionated without this election connection.
  2. Pointing out infrastructure or lack of thereof in various countries like Japan and India leading to higher sustained costs for governments.
  3. Low ratings in fuel economy overall brand wise.
Interesting timing of this article. Toyota started its lobbying push for the EV tax credit and marketing push with "why are Americans who work in nonunionized factories worth less" and a couple days later this report is launched.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Don't know much about U.S. politics but TMC single handedly caused the most CO2 emissions reduction with their hybrids over the past two decades.

"lack of infrastructure in Japan". Sure after the second biggest nuclear disaster in history tell me how to build a renewable electricity grid when your country has no wide open space for solar and typhoons destroying any offshore wind mill.

And how about developed nations pay climate reparations for the CO2 they emitted centuries ago to help developing nations build renewable energy? If not then they have no business telling what 85% of world's population should do.

Those 'environmentalist NGOs' should stop blaming other people and come up with real solutions instead.

In fact 'nobody has real and sustainable solutions' is a common theme among the environmentalism movements. We have hundreds of thousands of scientists hard at work and trillions invested looking for all possible solutions and they just pick and choose based on their personal preference.

Last edited:

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Don't know much about U.S. politics but TMC single handedly caused the most CO2 emissions reduction with their hybrids over the past two decades.

"lack of infrastructure in Japan". Sure after the second biggest nuclear disaster in history tell me how to build a renewable electricity grid when your country has no wide open space for solar and typhoons destroying any offshore wind mill.

And how about developed nations pay climate reparations for the CO2 they emitted centuries ago to help developing nations build renewable energy? If not then they have no business telling what 85% of world's population should do.

Those 'environmentalist NGOs' should stop blaming other people and come up with real solutions instead.

In fact 'nobody has real and sustainable solutions' is a common theme among the environmentalism movements. We have hundreds of thousands of scientists hard at work and trillions invested looking for all possible solutions and they just pick and choose based on their personal preference.
Regarding the infrastructure point, I could've sworn they were in the process of creating a city whose energy is derived from Hydrogen energy. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I understand it's only one city, but I can imagine the idea is that this would become scalable and much more efficient as they come to understand the process of such a feat. Either way they certainly aren't twiddling their thumbs doing nothing about the situation, they're looking to prove their method is effective in curbing the current crisis we face.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
You are right. After the Tohoku Earthquake Japan realized nuclear and centralized power grid is not resistant enough to natural disasters. That's why they went for hydrogen economy: resilience from distributed power generation. The Sola FC bus is not just a public transport, but also serves as a mobile power station that could power emergency shelters for days.

Methane reforming hydrogen production + point source capture + FC is one of the cleanest way of energy generation if nuclear is not an option. Definitely cleaner than thermal power generation + point source capture. How it compares against renewables is inconclusive since nobody has a clear picture of true lifecycle emissions of renewables at this point.

Westerners just roll their eyes when they hear hydrogen economy and fuel cells. That is the west-centric world view that everyone should do things the same way as they do.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
In effect there are still multiple ways of approaching the energy situation, and as far as hydrogen goes, they seem to be implementing it the best so far, though I can imagine there is still plenty of room for improvement. All that said, I strongly believe, the maverick/cavalier attitude that permeates our general thought processes would be better suited in promoting diverse solutions and seeking greater experimentation and refinements rather than writing off a potential solution as being too unwieldy or nonsensical, and putting all our eggs in one basket.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
so either Toyota do as the European / American and yet Korean and ditch everything for nonsense EV and pollute the environment more with it's extraction or they are bad guys

honestly if all countries unit together for this real purpose of green planet they must help Toyota with the H2
my list of honor helping Toyota

States:
1-Japan
2-S.Korea
3-China
4-Finland
5-Egypt

Carmakers:
1-Hyundai
2-GM
3-Honda
4-BMW
5-Daimler

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
so either Toyota do as the European / American and yet Korean and ditch everything for nonsense EV and pollute the environment more with it's extraction or they are bad guys

honestly if all countries unit together for this real purpose of green planet they must help Toyota with the H2
my list of honor helping Toyota

States:
1-Japan
2-S.Korea
3-China
4-Finland
5-Egypt

Carmakers:
1-Hyundai
2-GM
3-Honda
4-BMW
5-Daimler
I thought the battery extraction angle was an nonissue since the lifetime emissions from the EV counterbalances?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The extraction polluted very much that's plus , their is no clear recycling and / or getting rid of lithium plan yet

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Ooo, let me guess which group of people wrote that nonsense, is it the incredibly white and self-righteous retards that worship Elon Musk and think Tesla's vehicles are superior to anything else in the world?

Reactions
Ooo, let me guess which group of people wrote that nonsense, is it the incredibly white and self-righteous retards that worship Elon Musk and think Tesla's vehicles are superior to anything else in the world?

Well, a lot of these people now hate Elon for appearing to be a right-winger and anti-communist so......

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Well, a lot of these people now hate Elon for appearing to be a right-winger and anti-communist so......
I don't particularly give much thought about alignments of that sort, but I will say that it'll take more than transport electrification to solve climate change. The more options that will get us to that solution, the better.

Reactions
I don't particularly give much thought about alignments of that sort, but I will say that it'll take more than transport electrification to solve climate change. The more options that will get us to that solution, the better.

Agreed.

My point was merely that these people that you initially described now hate Elon Musk too. Because even Elon is pretty reasonable. He understands that oil and gas is necessary and will be for the foreseeable future.

People hate Elon for his tweets just like they hated a certain POTUS for the same reason.

When you see Elon diversifying everything into numerous companies you can see the guy is not only trying to make money, but find legitimate solutions to the problems that we have. In life we will always find problems, and utopia does not exist. Elon gets that. For example he understands the terror that AI could bring people, meanwhile you have the lizard king Zucc going full steam ahead with this bullsh*t Metaverse thing. I've been so creeped out by it I haven't even bothered watching the video so I don't get into this existential crisis.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The reasoning for a lot of these people is that time and budget is limited so we have to bet on one solution and go all out to maximize the economy of scale. Well there are two big problems:

1) the one solution has not been proved to solve climate change
2) the one solution does not apply to every region or country in the world

In my honest opinion we have already run out of time to stop climate change. Reducing emissions is a previlege for 15% of world's population while 85% still needs to industrialize and modernize first. China has peaked CO2 last year, but then comes India, SEA, Africa. All of them need cheap accessible energy and lots of cement for construction. They need reliable and convenient transportation. They will eat a lot more meat. They will consume a lot of plastics. It will be a long time before these regions reach peak CO2.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, I still believe when I use an EV still harming the planet in the same ratio or maybe even more, due to the lithium and how it extracted and how it get processed and we still even don't know how we will recycle it

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The only thing cleaner about EVs is the lack of tailpipe emissions in urban areas. It is not nothing, but not the holy grail either.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
In my honest opinion we have already run out of time to stop climate change. Reducing emissions is a previlege for 15% of world's population while 85% still needs to industrialize and modernize first. China has peaked CO2 last year, but then comes India, SEA, Africa. All of them need cheap accessible energy and lots of cement for construction. They need reliable and convenient transportation. They will eat a lot more meat.

I'm not quite sure I follow how eating more meat will effect climate-change, except (and this is not a joke) that more beef-cattle and hogs will mean more animal-farts, which produces methane gas. No only that, but in my experience, all else equal, the more one avoids red meat and pork, instead eating non-fried seafood and non-fried poultry without the skin, fresh fruits/vegetables/nuts/whole-grains, the better their health is likely to be.