Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I love that Underground/Java combo. The Land Cruiser edition with a sunroof is the model that appeals to me the most. I don’t really need anything the premium package has to offer.

I find it odd that the LC250 has three zone climate controls and available real leather, neither of which is available on the GX Overtrail. The GX Overtrail is not available with leather and has two zone climate control with rear vents on the back of the center console (like the 4Runner).

Aside from the fantastic exterior design and TT V6, I don’t really see any reason to choose a GX over a LC250. I like the LC250 interior a lot more as well.

My only disappointment with the LC250 is the lack of a pano roof, which I thought was going to be part of the Premium package. I believe the Prado has a pano roof option, so I’m a bit bummed that is not an option here. I also wish the dash had some Java colored material. Some of the preliminary images showed the Java trim around the climate controls, and this looked good.

Last edited:
Reactions
The first edition is clearly not a good value. I think the standard grade without the premium package is probably where I would land. I'd honestly go 1958, but that small screen is hard to stomach for $58k. I even like the cloth seats and the blank slate of the rest of the vehicle. If the screen were easily upgraded with aftermarket, I'd be OK with it on the 1958, but I don't have any desire to deal with the bugs that come with aftermarket systems or swapping out to a screen that aesthetically fits better.

Gun to my head having to spend my own money in order of preference:
LC standard, LC + premium, LC 1958, GX 550 Overtrail, GX 550 Overtrail+, LC FE, GX 550 premium, just shoot me for the rest.
Love the 1958 because of its spartan interior...if anything, I wish they would offer it with a standalone moonroof option

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Kirk has a video with latest Best Car info on the Land Cruiser FJ. I can’t find a link to the article, but latest rumors are:

-hybrid postponed
-2.7 I4 in some markets
-BOF

Personally, I think the detuned SR Tacoma T24 with a 6spd would be a nice drivetrain. I’d like to see the 2.5 I4 used with the hybrid, but that’s probably wishful thinking.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
David at AutomotivePress just posted a very click-bait video with some new Land Cruiser FJ info from BestCar. Highlights:

-It will use the IMV platform, not TNGA-F
-Production to start in November and go on sale as a 2025 model
-May be named Land Cruiser FJ or Land Cruiser Fun
-2.7 engine initially offered, with possible hybrid later. Diesel may be offered at a latter time once the diesel scandal gets sorted out.
-Larger than a Jimny, but smaller that a LC250

Apparently it will be offered with a 2.8 diesel if a diesel engine were to happen. I question the accuracy of this since the 2.4 is offered in the Champ. The 2.4 seems to be more appropriate for a vehicle of this size.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this Land Cruiser FJ ends up riding on the same platform as the Fortuner, just with much shorter overhangs. We’ve heard that the LC FJ will be about the size of the Corolla Cross. The Fortuner wheelbase is less than 2 inches longer than the Corolla Cross wheelbase, and with short overhangs, we could see an LC-FJ at about the same overall length (or less).

Reactions
David at AutomotivePress just posted a very click-bait video with some new Land Cruiser FJ info from BestCar. Highlights:

-It will use the IMV platform, not TNGA-F
-Production to start in November and go on sale as a 2025 model
-May be named Land Cruiser FJ or Land Cruiser Fun
-2.7 engine initially offered, with possible hybrid later. Diesel may be offered at a latter time once the diesel scandal gets sorted out.
-Larger than a Jimny, but smaller that a LC250

Apparently it will be offered with a 2.8 diesel if a diesel engine were to happen. I question the accuracy of this since the 2.4 is offered in the Champ. The 2.4 seems to be more appropriate for a vehicle of this size.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this Land Cruiser FJ ends up riding on the same platform as the Fortuner, just with much shorter overhangs. We’ve heard that the LC FJ will be about the size of the Corolla Cross. The Fortuner wheelbase is less than 2 inches longer than the Corolla Cross wheelbase, and with short overhangs, we could see an LC-FJ at about the same overall length (or less).
So if it's on the IMV platform, we're not getting it then no?

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
So if it's on the IMV platform, we're not getting it then no?
I don’t know, but I’d say it’s doubtful. When it comes to Toyota production and factories, I’m not as knowledgeable as others on this site. That being said, I doubt Toyota will open an IMV production line in the U.S. for a new, unproven model. Argentina has a large Hilux/Fortuner assembly plant, and the Hilux is sold in Mexico. Would Toyota sell Argentinian built vehicles in the U.S.? I don’t know. That would be a first. The other option would be to ship them from Thailand, but Argentina makes more sense to me.

All that being said, the Stout might play a role in all this too. Everyone has been assuming the Stout will be unibody, but I don’t know if that has been confirmed or even a strong rumor. What if the Stout is also built on the IMV chassis? I believe there is a strong demand for the Stout in the U.S., and if the Stout is BOF, I could see it and the LC FJ built alongside each other in the U.S.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not sure if it was true or not, but I read years ago that the IMV platform would not meet US crash test standards which is why some of those products, like the Fortuner, never came to North America.

I don't see a Land Cruiser named product being built on that platform at this point when GA-F exists.

Also, there is no way Toyota will use the ancient 2.7L which was just replaced by a tune of the 2.4L unless they do that in global markets with poorer quality fuel.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I'm not sure if it was true or not, but I read years ago that the IMV platform would not meet US crash test standards which is why some of those products, like the Fortuner, never came to North America.

I don't see a Land Cruiser named product being built on that platform at this point when GA-F exists.

Also, there is no way Toyota will use the ancient 2.7L which was just replaced by a tune of the 2.4L unless they do that in global markets with poorer quality fuel.

The 2.7 is still offered in all the IMV vehicles (Fortuner, Champ, Hilux, and Innova). It’s also available in the LC250 (that must be slow!). Outside the U.S., the 2.7 makes sense in a LC FJ. I agree though, in the U.S., that wouldn’t fly. A T24 or A25 hybrid make more sense in the U.S. market.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

Fortuner didn't come to the US because it would be a giant miss. It has feminine styling and the interior is very much designed for emerging markets. If people think the current 4Runner is long in the tooth, wait until they set foot in a Fortuner.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
LC250 Prado hybrid with 2nd row captains chairs and third row seating. Note the HEV emblem on the tailgate. I wonder if this is the mild hybrid diesel or the T24 hybrid?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
It looks like a very different 3rd row seat style than what we see in the GX and 4Runner, too. Almost like it is the previous generation Land Cruiser style where the seats are literally just mounted in the cargo area versus stowing in the cargo floor.

Edit: it looks like the 3rd row is just like the Sequoia. Seat bottom is mounted on top of the battery and the seat back folds onto the seat bottom. There's no stow mechanism. It also lacks the sliding mechanism that the Sequoia has. It also looks like it is way more difficult to remove than Sequoia 3rd row.

Last edited:
Reactions
:) Ultimately, your choice between the Land Cruiser LC250 and the GX Overtrail will depend on your personal preferences, priorities, and budget. If the LC250 meets your needs and provides the features and performance you desire, it may be the ideal choice for you. Be sure to test drive both models and carefully consider all factors before making your decision.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I don't think the dealers will allow you to test drive because every single one in the foreseeable future has already been ordered. No dealer near me has a demo car.