Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Rod Millen Group’s 1967 FJ45 Land Cruiser Wagon, dubbed The Retro Cruiser, is one of the coolest and most famous Land Cruiser projects ever completed. Now almost 25 years young, Toyota has refreshed this legend and brought it to Toyota’s SEMA space for the first time, to inspire an entirely new generation of Land Cruiser fanatics.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

A salute to Land Cruiser’s roots, this one-of -a- kind, “King of the Hammers” inspired concept began life as a 1966 FJ45 pickup that Toyota transformed into a rock-crawling beast, ready to conquer the toughest terrain in the world.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I just realized the LC70 series got a GVM upgrade for 2023 from 3350kg to 3510kg so now a 2dr pickup could haul 1310kg of cargo. That's more than any Tundra/Sequoia variant (Tundra capston has 3470kg GVM and only 670kg payload). The GVM has grown 40%, payload has grown by 157%, and towing has grown by 133% compared to the original LC70 (1984). Turns out you don't need redesigns if you overengineer so much margins into the platform.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Well, so the “Land Hopper” is this thing here:

KB1_1471.jpg

Nothing to see, we can move on.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I don’t get it…im so confused. How can the 250 series be in between the Prado and 300 series when the 250 series literally has the Prado badge on it in many other countries? Are they talking features?

Can they say it’s a light duty chassis but that it’s “nearly identical” chassis as the 300 series? How nearly identical is it? Same size frame rails? Same size rear diff? Same size front diff? Or are they just talking about nearly identical platform architecture?

The GX press release says the GX rides on the same platform as the LX, but that can’t be.

There is so much different conflicting information…I’m so freaking confused.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think at early stages they wanted a true light duty platform. It's possible they realized half way that electrification will add so much weight the light duty chassis won't be able to carry much payload. The J150 had 2990kg GVM and it heavily limited how much load the Prado and GX could carry and their potential for overlanding builds. The Tacoma was at a pathetic 2560kg which means it can barely carry any cargo with full passenger. The Tacoma chief engineer said in one of the interviews that they had to upgrade the GVWR of the Trailhunter trim to be used for actual overlanding.

I think the lines between light duty, station wagon and heavy duty are not as clearly defined as before. Every customer want higher GVM and whatever weight savings from the new platform will be eroded away by hybrid parts. It's just not possible to build anything below 3000kg and market it towards the overlanding crowd because they just go crazy with how much gear they pack onto their trucks. I don't know how GVWR works with regulations and insurance in USA but in Australia a GVM upgrade is required to legally drive and obtain insurance if the build is over manufacturer rated GVM. And most Toyotas (except J70) absolutely need one unless you spend tons of money on ultralight components.

We will know the truth once we see the GVM numbers on the J250 and Tacoma.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I saw 5 300 series land cruisers unloaded from a broken down car carrier on my way to work last week. It didn’t dawn on my that they were 300 series until I saw the grilles in my side view mirror. I’m guessing they were on their way to get some upfitting before being exported again.
IMG_3742.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I saw 5 300 series land cruisers unloaded from a broken down car carrier on my way to work last week. It didn’t dawn on my that they were 300 series until I saw the grilles in my side view mirror. I’m guessing they were on their way to get some upfitting before being exported again.
Which country?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
USA. It’s not hard to get vehicles that are not road legal into the country. It is hard to get them titled for permanent import. These are here for a short stay.
If they are not for NA, where were they heading to?

With the LC250 called “Landcruiser”, NA is definitely not getting the LC300 without the Lexus badge.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
If they are not for NA, where were they heading to?

With the LC250 called “Landcruiser”, NA is definitely not getting the LC300 without the Lexus badge.
Various companies in the US will upfit for armor or other special purposes. These will most likely get armor and get shipped back to whatever market they were originally intended.

Motor

Expert
Reactions