Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

Reactions
can't wait. many questions.

will 1GR continue having manual transmission? if yes, same 5 speed or new 6 speed?

are we sure F33A-FTV is a V6 and not an I6?

It makes no sense to be an inline-six. If it happens to be one then Toyota will single-handedly break the internet and just use that for their new A100 GR Supra by remodelling it to run as a gas engine. This also gives credence to the rumor that the A100 GR Supra will be Toyota-only.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It makes no sense to be an inline-six. If it happens to be one then Toyota will single-handedly break the internet and just use that for their new A100 GR Supra by remodelling it to run as a gas engine. This also gives credence to the rumor that the A100 GR Supra will be Toyota-only.

I ask because the main factor in internal combustion engines now is modularity/parts sharing/use per models. If VAG uses 90° V6 it is because it is shared with 90° V8. I6 shared with I4 would not fit in those models that have V6. Mercedes and BMW have I6 because it fits and is shared with I4. Mercedes' V8 is also shared with I4. BMW will keep its V8 because it has the models for it, but will also "sell" it to Range Rover. Other Range Rover engines are I6 because now shared with I4. Stellantis V6 are based on Ferrari's V8 which is to stay. Ferrari and BMW (Rolls Royce) V12 are fringe engines so of little relevance and not depending on sales volume.

Toyota V35A is to replace the UR family line, if not the GR family and if there is no V40A. Toyota does not make any diesel engines anymore for cars. Only for BOF vehicles. They will renew all BOF diesel engines except those that are legacy, such as 1HZ for example. The new Landcruiser gets a new diesel because, well, it is a truck. But so should the new Hilux. Needing only two new diesel engines, it makes sense to share them, this I4 and I6. Hilux could get a 2.2l I4 derived from the 3.3l I6. The hilux might get two stages, single and twin turbo.

Somehow I doubt the new Ranger and Amarok co-developed truck will get a 6 cylinder diesel again. Hilux never had more than 4 cylinder diesel, I doubt they would change it now. Ranger Raptor has 2.0 bi turbo I4, smaller than 3.2 single turbo I5. Of course a V6 would fit better in the smaller truck than the I6, but again, does not mean they'll make it. In most cases the petrol V6 will be the performance engine, no diesel has any chance, so nothing lost with Hilux/Prado not getting 6 cylinder diesel.

I don't see the point of making an exclusive V6 diesel for Toyota. The 1VD was based on the 2AD. What would the F33A be based on? I can only see it based on a "F22A" I4.

Last edited:
Reactions
I ask because the main factor in internal combustion engines now is modularity/parts sharing/use per models. If VAG uses 90° V6 it is because it is shared with 90° V8. I6 shared with I4 would not fit in those models that have V6. Mercedes and BMW have I6 because it fits and is shared with I4. Mercedes' V8 is also shared with I4. BMW will keep its V8 because it has the models for it, but will also "sell" it to Range Rover. Other Range Rover engines are I6 because now shared with I4. Stellantis V6 are based on Ferrari's V8 which is to stay. Ferrari and BMW (Rolls Royce) V12 are fringe engines so of little relevance and not depending on sales volume.

Toyota V35A is to replace the UR family line, if not the GR family and if there is no V40A. Toyota does not make any diesel engines anymore for cars. Only for BOF vehicles. They will renew all BOF diesel engines except those that are legacy, such as 1HZ for example. The new Landcruiser gets a new diesel because, well, it is a truck. But so should the new Hilux. Needing only two new diesel engines, it makes sense to share them, this I4 and I6. Hilux could get a 2.2l I4 derived from the 3.3l I6. The hilux might get two stages, single and twin turbo.

Somehow I doubt the new Ranger and Amarok co-developed truck will get a 6 cylinder diesel again. Hilux never had more than 4 cylinder diesel, I doubt they would change it now. Ranger Raptor has 2.0 bi turbo I4, smaller than 3.2 single turbo I5. Of course a V6 would fit better in the smaller truck than the I6, but again, does not mean they'll make it. In most cases the petrol V6 will be the performance engine, no diesel has any chance, so nothing lost with Hilux/Prado not getting 6 cylinder diesel.

I don't see the point of making an exclusive V6 diesel for Toyota. The 1VD was based on the 2AD. What would the F33A be based on? I can only see it based on a "F22A" I4.

You raise a lot of great points, but it could be just a brand new engine that could be easily amortized among the Toyota/Lexus lineup. Think of the number of products that can use it.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota does not plan to build a new I4 diesel after the 2GD update. The F33A will be their last diesel design period. If they build future I4 diesels it will probably share with Mazda's Skyactiv-X 2 (at least planned) which could run BOTH gasoline and diesel, a truly revolutionary design.

We know for a fact Toyota plans to build GR Hilux. Competitors are already working on their own high performance mid-size trucks to challenge the GR Hilux:
Ford Ranger Raptor coming with Powerstroke 3.0 with 250PS/597N.m.
VW Amarok already has 3.0TDI with 272PS/580N.m.
Hyundai Santa Cruz coming with 3.0 Smartstream with 278PS/588N.m.
Toyota absolutely needs the F33A for GR Hilux. At minimum it will have 272PS/650N.m. It is too lucrative a product they cannot afford to not make it.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
If they build future I4 diesels it will probably share with Mazda's Skyactiv-X 2 (at least planned) which could run BOTH gasoline and diesel, a truly revolutionary design.

It is some days I can't sleep anymore. I need to know more. Of course nothing will be as simple/durable/reliable as a Toyota B or H engine, but at this point, Skyactiv-X II sounds like the holy grail of ICEs, from a utility perspective.

TurboLag

Fan
Reactions
The 2022 Land Cruiser fuel economy in Saudi Arabia is already registered
The 3.5 is 10.1 km per liter :
Screenshot_20210325-195016.jpg

The 4.0 is 9.4 km per liter :
Screenshot_20210325-195854.jpg

Also the number one leaker for the Land Cruiser info post that some of new 300 series trims will have front and rear diff-locks 😄

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Does anyone think LC 300 will come with two different rear axles, like LC 100 front axle, one on solid axle and one on independent suspension? The Sequoia has passed 15 years real world testing.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So much of this new Land Cruiser has leaked... a reveal has got to be imminent.

Will1991

Reactions
168117013-812977656235782-73048917260517456-n.jpg

166773811-2795365477444319-3261686357594654279-n.jpg

Those renders seem to be perfect!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
if this is a new platfrom, Toyota dis everything to make the car look the same. like 911.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^ 7.8 km/L, so I guess there might be a revised version for the new Land Cruiser?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Still engine code 1GR-FE though. I was half way wondering about something like 1GR-FKS.

Oh well.

Attachments

• 1BF8F690-FEB8-4CC7-9D54-0F26E0645DCA.png
    1BF8F690-FEB8-4CC7-9D54-0F26E0645DCA.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13