Toyota embracing small flaws as supply chain pressures bite

Reactions
TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp on Tuesday said it is happy to use scratched or blemished parts from suppliers as the world's biggest car producer tries to trim costs amid a production-curbing global chip shortage and rising material costs.

Toyota's acceptance of good enough by using parts it would have thrown away in the past marks a significant change both for a company renowned for stringent quality control and for Japanese manufacturing practices that often prioritised perfection over speed to market.

"We are careful about the outside of our vehicles, the parts you can easily see. But there are plenty of places that people don't notice unless they really take a good look," Takefumi Shiga, Toyota's chief project leader for vehicle development said during a press briefing.

Toyota last month raised its operating profit outlook for the year ending March 31, helped by favourable currency rates. It warned, however, that a shortage of semiconductors which was curbing production and increasing material costs were hurting its underlying profitability.

Shiga and other Toyota engineers are expanding a programme begun in 2019 to meet component suppliers, even third tier ones, to assure them that scratches or blemishes are acceptable as long as they do not affect vehicles safety and performance, and are unlikely to be noticed by car buyers.

"It requires some courage on their part," Shiga said.

A visit to a company making plastic seat belt parts reduced the number of those component being rejected by three-quarters, he added.
Since this has never been done before, will many customers mind this?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
i already saw comments on facebook in toyota owners group how it will lower the quality of vehicles. However I dont really think general public cares unless they actually see and feel the problem.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^same.

Case in point:

A piece of fabric flooring that has one darker ink blot of dye on an area that will be tucked under a seat or cargo area is an acceptable "defect," IMO.

There is a wide variation in types of defects and what they could impact. The media is spinning this as "Toyota quality is falling" but I'm just not sure that's exactly the case.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
^same.

Case in point:

A piece of fabric flooring that has one darker ink blot of dye on an area that will be tucked under a seat or cargo area is an acceptable "defect," IMO.

There is a wide variation in types of defects and what they could impact. The media is spinning this as "Toyota quality is falling" but I'm just not sure that's exactly the case.

also, only toyota will announce this. They are idiots sometimes.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
i already saw comments on facebook in toyota owners group how it will lower the quality of vehicles. However I dont really think general public cares unless they actually see and feel the problem.

So some vehicles get built with parts that have scratches on them. A lot of owners with kids will never notice the difference LOL.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Not that scratches, it's just recycle materials nothing more, won't affect NA , Europe , *** , Aus/NZ or S.K

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Lot of panic for nothing
The most strange thing is that everyone afraid is far from those new rules
Those new rules will be mainly in India / Oceania / Africa & South America
Other markets won't be affected

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I doubt Toyota as the worlds largest car company just released this statement because they are "too honest" lol. I'd wager PR and legal were consulted on this and as such this was released.

I do see that some have mentioned it being isolated to specific continents/markets but apologizes I have not see this posted in the blurb above.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I doubt Toyota as the worlds largest car company just released this statement because they are "too honest" lol. I'd wager PR and legal were consulted on this and as such this was released.

I do see that some have mentioned it being isolated to specific continents/markets but apologizes I have not see this posted in the blurb above.
PR would write the releases, which would be vetted by Legal. But Legal only looks at the small details to prevent legal issues (e.g. to try to prevent lawsuits). The fact that PR would admit that Toyota is "embracing small flaws" is too honest. Yes, Toyota may be doing so -- that is being honest -- but there is no need to tell the world that it is doing so. Doing so just damages Toyota's reputation; there was no need to tell the world that Toyota is accepting lower-quality components.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
PR would write the releases, which would be vetted by Legal. But Legal only looks at the small details to prevent legal issues (e.g. to try to prevent lawsuits). The fact that PR would admit that Toyota is "embracing small flaws" is too honest. Yes, Toyota may be doing so -- that is being honest -- but there is no need to tell the world that it is doing so. Doing so just damages Toyota's reputation; there was no need to tell the world that Toyota is accepting lower-quality components.

^^^^^ This is nothing. I can remember when auto companies embraced REAL flaws.

Corvair

Pinto

Vega

Citation/X-Body

Volare/Aspen

Explorer/Wilderness tires

5.7L Diesel V8

Audi 5000

Hyundai Excel/Mitsubishi Precis

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

Only in some markets and only see trims of some categories
Especially the first trims in up to small family category

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Pending litigation?