Toyota Could Lose Big Now That 2020 Tokyo Games Are Postponed

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
They need an online blitz. Someone needs to call Nintendo and ask them to come in and have an intervention with Toyota about communicating with customers through online broadcasts, while not screwing with traditional Japanese sensibilities.

I also hope they didn't kill too many other projects/vehicles to go after this enormous showcase. I appreciate the push for technology, though.

The reality is, TMC can find ways to get what they've built in front of people. Sure, it won't be what it was before, but they can have events throughout Japan which will inevitably see broad online consumption globally.

If they're saying 2-3 redesigns/updates a year over the next few years for Lexus, then they should be able to schedule a few regular online presentations throughout the year highlighting what they're working on. Help detach themselves from third parties for big launches, and they can still choose to time it with motor shows.

Deep down, I just feel bad for TMC as it seems they're really trying. That said, at this point all you ever hear around Lexus is so much rumor and speculation, that at some point it isn't even fun anymore because you just don't expect to actually see anything new.

I think the last major product announcement was UX300e, LM, and LC convertible. Those first two are market limited and/or extremely niche. The last has been seen out in the open for so long that it is insane to me that it still isn't available for purchase.

Seriously. How are we still waiting on the LC convertible? At this point there's talk of a mid-life refresh of the LC, and I sure do hope the convertible is late because it's getting the same treatment (except it's not because someone already paid 7 figures for the first one and we know it's not face-lifted). You're already skirting doing the "the convertible is 1 facelift behind" thing on your current halo, status car?

I've said it repeatedly, but the best marketing you can get is having your attractive cars out on the road, and parked on the street being seen.

If they ever come out, that is. Or the ones that do come out are $400k+ monsters, or $250k luxury minivans, or $4 million boats.

When was NYC Auto show supposed to be again? We're not far off, right? I would hope they bother to release something new online.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
When was NYC Auto show supposed to be again? We're not far off, right? I would hope they bother to release something new online.

As of now, the next major auto show on the calendar is Detroit (press days June 9 & 10), followed by New York (press days August 26 & 27). With the Covid-19 pandemic, though, anything can happen.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
As of now, the next major auto show on the calendar is Detroit (press days June 9 & 10), followed by New York (press days August 26 & 27). With the Covid-19 pandemic, though, anything can happen.
The Javits Center in New York where the New York show is held is currently being turned into an emergency COVID-19 hospital.

Will1991

Reactions
Toyota already postponed a reveal, the B-segment SUV at Geneva, and month latter we still hasn't seen anything.

Toyota did had a lot going with Tokyo Olympics... Perhaps will get a later year free from payment as main sponsor (until 2025)?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Toyota already postponed a reveal, the B-segment SUV at Geneva, and month latter we still hasn't seen anything.

That B-segment SUV wasn't scheduled to go on sale until March 2021, anyway, so there was no real rush nor imperative need to reveal it at the now-canceled 2020 Geneva Motor Show. Even if Toyota waits until the 2020 Paris Motor Show (press days 29 and 30 September) to unveil it, their original plans wouldn't really be disrupted. What the Covid-19 pandemic might do, however, is another story...

mikeavelli

Reactions
Well its moved to 2021. Might actually help Lexus/Toyota with more time for products and getting things right..

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
There's something to be said about another year not disrupting their plans, but another year of radio silence isn't a good thing. A company that sees a dead air gap like this coming up and instead chooses to use it as an excuse not to announce or deliver anything, isn't giving much thought to cultivating their fan base.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Well its moved to 2021. Might actually help Lexus/Toyota with more time for products and getting things right..
There's something to be said about another year not disrupting their plans, but another year of radio silence isn't a good thing. A company that sees a dead air gap like this coming up and instead chooses to use it as an excuse not to announce or deliver anything, isn't giving much thought to cultivating their fan base.
Not sure if the extra year's wait on Toyota/Lexus launches meant to coincide with the Tokyo Olympics will help or hurt most things, but I think it'll definitely help with one initiative: Solid State Batteries. That was meant to be the big highlight among the Toyota Tokyo Olympics reveals. It would've probably been an early, super-low-volume pilot test, however. Having an extra year to develop this and get it that much closer to mass production before its public reveal can't hurt.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not sure if the extra year's wait on Toyota/Lexus launches meant to coincide with the Tokyo Olympics will help or hurt most things, but I think it'll definitely help with one initiative: Solid State Batteries. That was meant to be the big highlight among the Toyota Tokyo Olympics reveals. It would've probably been an early, super-low-volume pilot test, however. Having an extra year to develop this and get it that much closer to mass production before its public reveal can't hurt.

I think it also helps the autonomous LS...... and I think it gets updated for 2021..... Maybe even the LC F is shown or it next year...

The Toyota side is tricky since the product there and here are totally different as you know.

Will1991

Reactions
@mikeavelli , during LS+ presentation Lexus stated it was features to be presented in 2020 and usually Toyota complies with schedules.

RAL

Reactions
Ouch! ... According to AP, Toyota signed on for world wide Olympic sponsorship in 2015; sponsorship beginning in 2017 through 2024 ... A deal reportedly worth $1 billion covering 3 consecutive Olympics in Asia including the Tokyo Games. Akio Toyoda will not attend the opening ceremony. There will be no Olympic themed advertisements on Japanese TV during the Tokyo Games because of strong Japanese public concern about tens of thousands of Olympic participants entering the country during the pandemic-related national emergency. Wonder how this will apply, if at all, to world wide coverage ...

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

Toyota says that any marketing changes to Japan's Olympic TV ads are limited to Japan only.

CBC in Canada is planning a full schedule of Olympics coverage and I am looking forward to it.

Update (July 19, 6:00 PM EST): Toyota has clarified that any marketing changes will be limited to Japan and that Toyota will not be adjusting its marketing plan in the U.S. A Toyota spokesperson added the following:

“The media plan for Toyota’s Olympic and Paralympic global ad campaign is managed by individual countries and regions. In Japan, the local Toyota office previously decided not to air the campaign out of sensitivity to the COVID-19 situation in that country. In the U.S., the campaign has already been shown nationally and will continue to be shown as planned with our media partners during the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020.”
In addition, an NBC spokesperson also clarified to CarScoops that “no advertiser in the US has asked to cancel their Olympics plans”.