Toyota Compact Pickup Truck (Stout?)

Trob20

Fan
Reactions
I wasn't sure where to discuss the speculation of a possible compact pickup truck, so I figured I would start a new thread.

The rumor mill for this pickup began at last year's HQ confidential, where Bob Carter, executive vice president of sales for TMNA, told Motortrend that Toyota was analyzing the compact pickup truck segment after the success of the Ford Maverick. Bob mentioned Toyota was examining customers needs by adding "If there's a customer that needs a rugged, smaller body-on-frame vehicle (mini land cruiser rumor?), we can consider that, but if it's more for urban use and less extreme off-road, then it would make more sense to use the TNGA unibody platform." Carter finished by telling Motortend that "it will be worth the trip" to attend HQ confidential 3 if it had happened in June.

Since last June there hadn't been much to fuel the speculation until a recent article from Automotive News. Automotive News inquired about the status of the compact pickup to which David Christ, TMNA's Group VP and GM, said they don't have anything planned, and there won't be anything announced during the dealership convention happening this week in Vegas even going so far to add "I won't even say 'yet' because that would suggest it's coming."

However, Steve Gates, chairman of the Toyota National Dealer Council, implied that the business case is there believing "a downsized truck would generate great volume without hampering demand for larger pickups like the Tacoma or Tundra." Additionally, the small truck could help with strict fuel economy and emission standards, and dealer demand is strong.

So that brings us to yesterday, when YouTubers TRD JON, Kirk Kreifels and ToyotaJeff Reviews, who all mainly focus on Toyota content, all re-posted to their Instagram story the same Instagram post from Toyota about the 1966 Toyota Stout.

IMG_3573.PNG IMG_3572.PNG IMG_3571.PNG

Now at the moment, there is no trademark for the Stout in the US or any sort of spy images. There has been no inside leak confirming or denying its existence that I've seen. And the instagram stories I mentioned above could all just be a coincidence. However, with all that said, I can't help but believe that this truck is coming and possibly soon.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I think a Stout is on the way, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it shared a lot in common with the Compact Cruiser.

I think both the Compact Cruiser and the Stout will be built on the TNGA-C platform with a 2.0 hybrid standard. The 2.5 hybrid would probably more competitive with the 2.5 hybrid in the Ford Maverick, but I don’t think Toyota has used the 2.5 hybrid in TNGA-C platform.

Ford seems to have a winner with the Maverick, and I think Toyota would do well with the Stout. The downside with the Maverick is that it is only available in 4 door configuration. In addition to a 4 door model, I think Toyota should offer a regular cab long bed or extended cab 6’ bed. That would much more appealing to fleet owners who aren’t hauling people around so much.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think both the Compact Cruiser and the Stout will be built on the TNGA-C platform with a 2.0 hybrid standard. The 2.5 hybrid would probably more competitive with the 2.5 hybrid in the Ford Maverick, but I don’t think Toyota has used the 2.5 hybrid in TNGA-C platform.
The A25 and M20 are structurally identical with the only difference being the cylinder dimensions, spark plugs, VVT adjustment angle and starter motor. The hybrid transaxles are also identical.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
The A25 and M20 are structurally identical with the only difference being the cylinder dimensions, spark plugs, VVT adjustment angle and starter motor. The hybrid transaxles are also identical.
That’s interesting. Thanks SSUN. I didn’t realize the M20 and A25 were that similar. A Stout and Compact Cruiser with a TNGA-C and A25 hybrid sound like a wining combo to me.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I would love to see this product come to life, and it would be especially cool as a BEV. I hate the Stout name, even with the nostalgia. Feels like it needs to be "T" something to match with Tacoma and Tundra.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I would love to see this product come to life, and it would be especially cool as a BEV. I hate the Stout name, even with the nostalgia. Feels like it needs to be "T" something to match with Tacoma and Tundra.
I vote for Tote. The Toyota Tote. It would be sorta fitting too. 😂

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Toyota should've already came out with this product by now. Maverick and Cruz are just eating the market up. IMO, stout should be based on the Rav4 with the 2.5L hybrid, if they want to be competitive.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/39886663.html

It looks like IMV 0 isn't a compact truck after all, but a mid-size truck with identical dimensions as current Hilux. The current global market Hilux actually has two chassis variants: a 4x2-only, narrowbody, low-height, commercial single cab-chassis variant; and a 4x2/4x4, widebody, "high rider" variant with single cab-chassis or extra/double cab-short bed options.

I think Toyota will likely differentiate the two variants to two different products. The IMV0 truck will replace the global market "commercial Hilux", while the "passenger Hilux" we know today goes to TNGA-F and becomes a smaller Tacoma. This way they don't have to compromise the Hilux for either purpose. The commercial variant can be made simpler and lighter and thus carry more load/be more flexible; the passenger variant can have better safety, comfort and drivability in response to increasingly luxurious and sporty competitors.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
It makes sense for the Hilux and Fortuner to move to a TNGA-F, especially with the Innova moving to a unibody platform.

Trob20

Fan
Reactions
toyota-epu-pickup-truck-concept.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 3.29.40 PM.png