Toyota Coaster Production Suspended?

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Hi all,

I was reading Wikipedia’s page about the Coaster mini-buses, and it says that production has ended due to a new model being released. I checked the source and used Google translate to translate the press release.

Apparently, the N04C Hino engine has been getting less than advertised fuel economy, and Toyota has stopped offering it in leu of a new model.

The press release is a bit ambiguous though (maybe it’s a Google translate thing). Is it saying there’s a new model of the engine coming out, or is Toyota working on an all new Coaster?

Anyone know if a new Coaster is in the works?

As a side note, I always thought the Coaster may work well here in North America, primarily as an airport shuttle. The Tundra 3.5TT Hybrid engine might be a good fit for it.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Hino was caught in an emissions cheating scandal. Like VW's Diesel Gate, fixing the diesel engines to comply with emissions regulations means significantly reduced power output or fuel economy. Japanese Ministry of Transport revoked type certification for several Hino engines due to "falsifying emissions and fuel consumption data since 2003". Apparently Akio Toyota was so angry he kicked his own subsidiary out of the Japanese Commercial Vehicle Consortium along with 5 other Partners.

There is no new model since the B60/70 series was released just 5 years ago and commercial vehicles have very long model cycles. The "new model" is same bus but re-engined with 2.8L 1GD-FTV on the Hilux.

The Chinese market Coaster (arguably the largest market for Coaster) is not affected because it uses the 1GR-FE 4.0 V6 engine. The petrol engine is much smoother and is used for VIP transport.

Last edited:

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Hino was caught in an emissions cheating scandal. Like VW's Diesel Gate, fixing the diesel engines to comply with emissions regulations means significantly reduced power output or fuel economy. Japanese Ministry of Transport revoked type certification for several Hino engines due to "falsifying emissions and fuel consumption data since 2003". Apparently Akio Toyota was so angry he kicked his own subsidiary out of the Japanese Commercial Vehicle Consortium along with 5 other Partners.

There is no new model since the B60/70 series was released just 5 years ago and commercial vehicles have very long model cycles. The "new model" is same bus but re-engined with 2.8L 1GD-FTV on the Hilux.

The Chinese market Coaster (arguably the largest market for Coaster) is not affected because it uses the 1GR-FE 4.0 V6 engine. The petrol engine is much smoother and is used for VIP transport.
Interesting info! I thought it seemed odd to cut production of all models, so if toyota is just ending production of the N04C powered models, that makes sense. Thanks!