Toyota C-HR (New, Cheaper LE/XLE Trims Added for 2019)

mikeavelli

Reactions

Will update as news comes...

2017-Toyota-C-HR-04.JPG

2017-Toyota-C-HR-03.jpg

2017-Toyota-C-HR-01.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Interesting, and better-looking than half the competitors listed ("growing pack of subcompact crossovers, including the Fiat 500X, Jeep Renegade-ugly, Mazda CX-3, Nissan Juke-ugly, Honda HR-V and Chevrolet Trax-ugly"). Yes, utility is compromised, but it still has more utility compared to a sedan or wagon with similar footprint plus much bolder styling and closer to chair-height seating that Americans like. I'm sure BSM and rear camera will be standard (and needed) too.

This can sell in big numbers in US with Toyota branding, especially if they offer AWD as an option (autonews said AWD will be optional).

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Interesting, and better-looking than half the competitors listed ("growing pack of subcompact crossovers, including the Fiat 500X, Jeep Renegade-ugly, Mazda CX-3, Nissan Juke-ugly, Honda HR-V and Chevrolet Trax-ugly"). Yes, utility is compromised, but it still has more utility compared to a sedan or wagon with similar footprint plus much bolder styling and closer to chair-height seating that Americans like. I'm sure BSM and rear camera will be standard (and needed) too.

This can sell in big numbers in US with Toyota branding, especially if they offer AWD as an option (autonews said AWD will be optional).

I agree with most of your comments, though I have yet to see ANY small subcompact CUV in the American market (including this one) that I thought was NOT ugly (or at least awkward-looking).....from the shoe-box Jeep Renegade to the circus-clown Nissan Juke. This one IMO is no exception......though I'd consider its looks more awkward than really ugly like the Juke. And, at least, with the Renegade, the shoe-box styling gives a lot of room inside for its size.

As for the AWD, I can't imagine any small SUV or CUV not offering it at least as an option, if not standard. All-weather traction is one of the prime issues many, if not most, people buy SUVs to start with.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree with most of your comments, though I have yet to see ANY small subcompact CUV in the American market (including this one) that I thought was NOT ugly (or at least awkward-looking).....from the shoe-box Jeep Renegade to the circus-clown Nissan Juke. This one IMO is no exception......though I'd consider its looks more awkward than really ugly like the Juke. And, at least, with the Renegade, the shoe-box styling gives a lot of room inside for its size.

As for the AWD, I can't imagine any small SUV or CUV not offering it at least as an option, if not standard. All-weather traction is one of the prime issues many, if not most, people buy SUVs to start with.

I marked the 3 ugliest ones as such, of course that is subjective but also quite obvious to those of us with good taste in contemporary automotive design.

I think AWD should be available as an option (and it will be on this new Toyota according to autonews), but the reality is most are sold with fwd configs.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I marked the 3 ugliest ones as such, of course that is subjective but also quite obvious to those of us with good taste in contemporary automotive design.

Yes....agreed, although even with subjectivity, a lot of people find the Juke's styling disagreeable (or questionable). Yet it still manages to sell.

On this particular vehicle, though (the C-HR), it looks to me like the stylists, at first, tried to go for a floating-roofline like on the new Lexus RX and Nissan Murano, then changed their minds at the last second and made minimal revisions. And it's got a high-mounted rear-door handle like on the Honda HR-V.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes....agreed, although even with subjectivity, a lot of people find the Juke's styling disagreeable (or questionable). Yet it still manages to sell.

Yes, it (Juke) sells at a mediocre level, a sales level that Honda (with its HRV) or Toyota (with its C-HR) would be unacceptably too low.

Had the Juke's styling been better, the sales could of easily been higher too. Industry leaders like Toyota don't enter a high growth segment such as the one C-HR is launching into with expectation or hope that it just "manages to sell". Maybe that's a good example of why Toyota is an industry leader and Nissan is not.

Note: Juke sales declined sharply in 2015 (pathetic given the segment is growing), maybe potential buyers got corrective lens finally.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Had the Juke's styling been better, the sales could of easily been higher too. Industry leaders like Toyota don't enter a high growth segment such as the one C-HR is launching into with expectation or hope that it just "manages to sell". Maybe that's a good example of why Toyota is an industry leader and Nissan is not.

Also, there is the not-insignificant factor that Toyota is free to make its own economic and design decisions. Nissan, being owned by Renault, is not.

Note: Juke sales declined sharply in 2015 (pathetic given the segment is growing), maybe potential buyers got corrective lens finally.

Yep, aging, questionable styling (and a pair of new glasses LOL):grinning: is part of it, but IMO the biggest factor in 2015 was the addition of Honda's HR-V, Mazda's CX-3, and the jeep Renegade/Fiat 500X platform-twins. The HR-V was a hit from Day One (my own brother came very close to signing for one before deciding on a slightly larger Kia Sportage), and the Renegade gave Jeep-lovers a new traditionally-styled subcompact model...something many had been waiting for. Even the Fiat 500X, though not popular nationally, sells here in the D.C. area. Now, of course, comes another competitor from what is arguably the world's largest automaker....and two more upcoming competitors on the way from Hyundai and Kia. The Juke, if not yet toast, is probably on either life-support or borrowed time.....even with Renault calling the shots.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Looks like either Matrix or Venza replacement.

The Matrix, though, was more of a simple Corolla-based wagon (even the AWD version), and less of a true crossover SUV....its ground-stance was too low. The Venza, of course, with its raised-suspension, was a true crossover, but also significantly larger.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Gasp the Juke grew on me.....I know I know.....the HR-V reviews have been pretty bad and the car looks very cheap. This looks quite premium in comparison.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Gasp the Juke grew on me.....I know I know.....the HR-V reviews have been pretty bad and the car looks very cheap. This looks quite premium in comparison.

Have you seen and/or checked out an HR-V yourself yet? While, yes, it's underpowered, and the driver's seat in the EX version was not very comfortable for me, it does seem to be well-built, though, with good materials, and solidly-screwed-together.

The Juke, of course, has more power than the HR-V because of the standard turbo engine (though Nissan recommends premium gas), and a decent though basic interior. But that exterior styling...................:weary_face:

I'll give the new Toyota this much credit, though, even without a formal close-up/review. It's got better styling than the Juke...but still not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Toyota has a good shot at a superior product given the somewhat weak competition so far.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Toyota has a good shot at a superior product given the somewhat weak competition so far.

"Weak competition" may (?) be a relative term. This entire vehicle-segment (sub-compact crossover CUV/SUV) has lately been exploding in popularity, at least for downmarket brands............and will probably continue to expand. On the other hand, though, time might (?) eventually prove me wrong on this, but, unlike the mainstream brands, I'm not convinced that premium/upmarket brands can sell significant numbers of B-Class subcompact CUVs, although the slightly larger C-class compact SUVs (MKC, NX, Q3etc...) are selling quite briskly. Those looking at B-class, subcompact CUVs are generally looking for a low price.....and the upmarket brands would not be able to sell at the the same low price as Honda, Toyota, Mazda, etc.......

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
"Weak competition" may (?) be a relative term. This entire vehicle-segment (sub-compact crossover CUV/SUV) has lately been exploding in popularity, at least for downmarket brands............and will probably continue to expand. On the other hand, though, time might (?) eventually prove me wrong on this, but, unlike the mainstream brands, I'm not convinced that premium/upmarket brands can sell significant numbers of B-Class subcompact CUVs, although the slightly larger C-class compact SUVs (MKC, NX, Q3etc...) are selling quite briskly. Those looking at B-class, subcompact CUVs are generally looking for a low price.....and the upmarket brands would not be able to sell at the the same low price as Honda, Toyota, Mazda, etc.......
\

"Weak competition" is talking about mediocre driving attributes of many of the vehicles mentioned in OP's post and my first post. And you are going off on tangents again talking about large C-class segments (NX, MKC, NX), upmarket brands (Lexus, Audi, sub par Lincoln), none of which apply to Toyota C-HR which is the actual topic here.

I already mentioned this was a high growth segment and here are my words again; "Industry leaders like Toyota don't enter a high growth segment such as the one C-HR is launching into with expectation or hope that it just manages to sell". Please go back and read it in post #8 for confirmation.

Back to the point and actual topic in this thread, Toyota (with its C-HR) has a good shot at a superior product given the somewhat weak competition so far.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
"Weak competition" is talking about mediocre driving attributes of many of the vehicles mentioned in OP's post and my first post.

OK....Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were talking about sales.

And you are going off on tangents again talking about large C-class segments (NX, MKC, NX), upmarket brands (Lexus, Audi, sub par Lincoln), none of which apply to Toyota C-HR which is the actual topic here.

It was not an attempt to go off on a tangent. I was simply referring to the odds of the the C-HR and similar low-priced CUVs getting upmarket competition from premium brands marketing vehicles of the same size and class, which IMO aren't very good. I don't think that's going to terribly far off -topic, though I'll respect your view on it. :)

And, as for the C-HR, I'm glad this thread was posted in the first place. I've got a colleague that is (almost) ready to start looking to replace his 16-17-year-old 1999 RAV-4, and doesn't like the latest-generation RAV-4 for several reasons. This way, he can stay with the Toyota brand and get something along the same lines, but in a somewhat smaller and (presumably) less-expensive package, IF he can fit into it (he's an inch taller than I am, and I'm 6' 2" LOL):blush:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
No interior shots??

Not really a fan of the exterior to be honest. A bit too busy for me, and looks too similar to an overstyled Hyundai. It lacks the classic Toyota balance of subtle, refined touches and modern styling.