Toyota buys out Daihatsu

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hope this is not a repost. At only $3 billion, which may sound like a lot but is actually chump change by today's large automotive-corporate standards, this may be a steal. Daihatsu has long been known as the Japanese experts on mini-car technology, though, of course, their products failed in the American market back in the early 1990s.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/01/31/toyota-buys-daihatsu-what-it-means.aspx

Toyota (NYSE:TM) said on Friday that it will buy out Japanese small-vehicle maker Daihatsu Motor (NASDAQOTH:DHTMY) in a friendly, all-stock deal worth about $3 billion.

Toyota has effectively controlled Daihatsu since 1999, when it took a 51.2% stake. But now it's moving to take full ownership. What does this mean?

A strategic global move by Toyota's CEO
It means that Toyota thinks that small, affordable cars are becoming more important around the world.

That may sound odd to Americans. After all, we just heard Fiat Chrysler (NYSE:FCAU) say last week that it will phase out production of its compact and midsize sedans so that it can use the production capacity to make more SUVs and pickups.

But this isn't about the United States, where a major market shift toward trucks and SUVs means that FCA's move makes some sense. It's about emerging markets.

daihatsu-tanto_large.jpg

DAIHATSU'S TANTO IS A MINI-MINIVAN AIMED AT YOUNG FAMILIES. IMAGE SOURCE: DAIHATSU.

In places like India and many of the countries in Southeast Asia, advancing economic development is allowing lots of people to buy their first-ever cars. Small, affordable -- but good -- cars are already big sellers in these regions. If Toyota can win over more of those customers now, it'll be in a good position to retain them as their incomes grow and needs shift over time.

Daihatsu specializes in tiny cars -- and tiny trucks, too
Daihatsu is the perfect partner for Toyota. It specializes in small, well-packaged vehicles with tiny 660 cubic-centimeter engines that get tax breaks in many countries. Its products include small commercial trucks as well as passenger cars.

daihatsu-hijet-truck_large.jpg

DAIHATSU'S PRODUCT RANGE INCLUDES TINY COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LIKE THIS HIJET MINI-TRUCK. IMAGE SOURCE: DAIHATSU.

Daihatsu and Toyota have jointly developed products for years. But Toyota said in a statement that taking full ownership would allow it and Daihatsu to pursue a fully unified small-car strategy -- one that will turn the Daihatsu brand into a global one under the Toyota umbrella.

"We see this as the perfect opportunity to cement our relationship with Toyota," Daihatsu President Masanori Mitsui said in a statement. "And by doing so, to embark on a new period of growth, and to elevate the Daihatsu brand to a global standard."

The takeaway for Toyota investors
This is Toyota moving to shore up and deepen an important alliance that will help it build its business in emerging markets. It's a long-term play, to win the long-term loyalty of customers who are just now stepping up to buy their first-ever cars.

A strengthened lineup of mini-vehicles could help Toyota make inroads into the dominance of Suzuki, which controls roughly half of the new-vehicle market in India, and into FCA's large presence in Latin America. It could also help Toyota fend off the increasing threat of inexpensive small vehicles produced by up-and-coming Chinese automakers.

Long story short, it's likely to be seen in time as an astute long-range move by CEO Akio Toyoda.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I thought this quote from Akio was VERY interesting:

In addition to differentiating the Toyota and Daihatsu brands, Toyota President Akio Toyoda wants to use the purchase as a means to speeding up the company’s decision-making.

“The Daihatsu brand will never disappear -- let me assure you of that,” Toyoda, 59, said at a press conference Friday in Tokyo. “It will be like Mini for BMW. That’s the sort of goal we should aim for.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...of-japan-minicar-maker-daihatsu-in-stock-swap

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Considering ToMoCo's handling of Scion, I don't have much faith in their ability to manage brands outside of Toyota and Lexus.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Considering ToMoCo's handling of Scion, I don't have much faith in their ability to manage brands outside of Toyota and Lexus.

Wouldn't it be something if Scion and Daihatsu were merged? Could solve a lot of problems, or create a whole bunch more.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^The best I can see that relationship going is that Scion gets more products here as rebadged Diahatsus. If the Diahatsu name isn't going anywhere, and Scion is N.A. only, I really don't know.

I personally wish Scion would just go away anyway.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^The best I can see that relationship going is that Scion gets more products here as rebadged Diahatsus. If the Diahatsu name isn't going anywhere, and Scion is N.A. only, I really don't know.

I personally wish Scion would just go away anyway.

Many Daihatsu products, though, are so small that they just are impractical for the American market, even if rebadged as Scions. The Daihatsu Rocky that was once sold here, for example, avoided the constant flip-overs (and class-action lawsuits) that the competing Suzuki Samurai experienced because, unlike Suzuki, the factory was smart enough to significantly widen the wheel-track of the American version, while keeping the narrow-track, Samurai-like version back home in Japan. That increased the stability of the American version....but, even so, the Rocky ended up just too small for American tastes. Same for the Daihatsu Charade that was sold here.

One thing interesting about Scion is that it was originally created and marketed as a young person's division (the literal translation of Scion meant offspring), but many older folks ended up buying the xB because of its square styling, excellent interior space-efficiency, good gas mileage, ride-height of the drivers' seat for east entry/exit, Toyota reliability, and easy no-dicker/low-stress deals in the showroom.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well from my understanding Mini is pretty damn profitable for BMW so his eyes are on the prize :)

Mini, though, at least to some extent, is a different type of company from Daihatsu. Though small and space-efficient, Minis are primarily designed for sport-orientation, with unique and unusual trim and interior features. How many Daihatsu products, for example, are likely to be built with Japanese flags or checkered-flag racing patterns on the roof or outside mirrors?

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I swear to [insert deity of choice here].
If buying Daihatsu means Lexus is bringing back the HC model or anything hideously small like it, I will break every traffic law on my way to a German automaker near you. :bomb:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
So with Scion going away, what will Toyota do to get future Daihatsu products to North America?

I could be wrong (I've been wrong before), but I don't see any real signs that Scion is folding anytime soon. In fact, they just introduced two new products in the American market, the iM, which is, in effect, a sport-oriented Corolla 5-door hatchback, and the iA, which is a rebadged 4-door Mazda2 (Demio) sedan.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I could be wrong (I've been wrong before), but I don't see any real signs that Scion is folding anytime soon. In fact, they just introduced two new products in the American market, the iM, which is, in effect, a sport-oriented Corolla 5-door hatchback, and the iA, which is a rebadged 4-door Mazda2 (Demio) sedan.

Sorry.....I take that back. I see that Toyota is, in fact, going to ax the Scion division as of next year.

I didn't know this, BTW (just found out)....but a rebadged Camry is sold in the Japanese home market as the Daihatsu Altis.

daihatsu_altis_124618.jpg

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
A little off-topic, maybe, but this was an interesting commercial back when Daihatsu was trying to make it in the American market under their own nameplate. I still remember it well...though it was misleading, and gave the impression that the company would try to stick it out here when it really didn't.