Toyota and Mazda Partner to Build EVs, Infotainment and Autonomous Tech

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota, Mazda partner to build EVs at new $1.6 billion U.S. plant

TOKYO — Toyota and Mazda plan to build a $1.6 billion U.S. assembly plant, the two said on Friday, as part of an alliance that will also see the Japanese automakers jointly develop electric vehicle technologies.

The two will take small stakes in each other as part of the tie-up: Toyota, the world's second-largest automaker by vehicle sales last year, will take a 5 percent share of Mazda, extending its dominance in Japan's auto sector. Mazda will take a 0.25 percent share of its larger rival.

The plant, something of a surprise at a time of overcapacity in the U.S. market, will be a boost to U.S. President Donald Trump, who campaigned on promises to increase manufacturing and expand employment for American autoworkers.

The plant will be capable of producing 300,000 vehicles a year, with production divided between the two automakers, and employ about 4,000 people. It will start operating in 2021.

The electric vehicles cooperation, meanwhile, comes as the tightening of global emissions regulations prompts more automakers to develop battery powered cars, as the industry struggles with hefty research costs and intense competition from technology companies over technology like self-driving cars.

As part of the agreement, Toyota and Mazda will also work together to develop in-car information technologies and automated driving functions.

Toyota, Japan's biggest auto company, has been forging alliances with smaller Japanese rivals for several years, effectively engineering a loose consolidation of the Japanese auto sector. It already owns a 16.5 percent stake in Subaru, Japan's No. 6 automaker, with which it also has a development partnership.

Toyota is also courting compact car maker Suzuki to cooperate on R&D and parts supply as Toyota seeks to tap its smaller rival's expertise in emerging Asian markets.

A stake in Mazda may also prevent future incursions by tech companies, one analyst said.

"For a technology company which lacks the expertise in making cars, Mazda could look like a very interesting acquisition. They're very good, they're not too expensive. Maybe Toyota realizes this," CLSA managing director Chris Richter said.

"By buying a 5 percent stake, Toyota takes Mazda off the table rather than having it sit out there like a free agent which could someday be used against them."

COROLLA PRODUCTION SHIFT

Mazda stands to gain from a deal that gives the small automaker a production foothold in the United States. At the moment, Mazda ships all vehicles sold in the country, its biggest market, from its plants in Japan and Mexico.

It also gets a boost in electric cars.

With an R&D budget of around 140 billion yen ($1.27 billion) this year, a fraction of Toyota's 1 trillion yen, Mazda has said that it lacks the funds to develop electric cars on its own, a view shared by Subaru and Suzuki.

"Mazda needs electrification technology. In the past they've pooh-poohed EVs, they've felt that they can make internal combustion engines more efficient, but the bottom line is that globally you need to have this technology," said Janet Lewis, head of Asia transportation research at Macquarie Securities.

Mazda, whose annual global vehicle sales are one-eighth that of Toyota, caters to a specific audience largely in North America with its design-conscious sedans and SUVs, and has been focusing on developing more fuel-efficient gasoline engines.

The automakers plan to produce Toyota Corollas and a new Mazda SUV crossover at the new plant.

Toyota initially had been planning to produce Corollas at its new $1 billion plant currently under construction in Mexico, but this will shift to the United States, and the automaker will instead produce its Tacoma truck model in Mexico.

Toyota has set a goal for all of its vehicles to be zero emission by 2050. Last year it established a division to develop full-sized EVs, shifting gears after long favoring EVs only for short-distance commuting given their limited driving range and lengthy charging time.

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/04/toyota-mazda-partner-to-build-evs-at-new-1-6-billion-us-plant/

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So many questions. It's obvious what Mazda gets out of this partnership, but what exactly does Toyota get out of it?

Will the Corolla and Mazda crossover be built on the same line, or different lines? Will they be sharing a lot of parts?

What caused the shift of Corolla production from Mexico to USA? Politics?

Reactions: RAL

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
What caused the shift of Corolla production from Mexico to USA? Politics?
At first, I thought that shifting Corolla production from Mexico to the U.S. was a singularly dumb move. Upon further reading, however, it's actually a genius move. And the answer has nothing to do with politics, but can still be summed up in a single word: Tacoma (as the original post states).

In today's truck and SUV-centric market, Tacoma has by far the most dire high-demand/low-supply squeezed situation of any Toyota or Lexus product. Tacoma production is pretty much maxed out at both existing facilities that build it (San Antonio, TX and Baja California in Mexico). Even with a delay of several months for the Corolla-to-Tacoma shift, the new already-under-construction Mexican plant will still be up and running at least a year earlier (if not more) than the new U.S. Toyota/Mazda plant. Thus, this is the fastest way there is to boost Tacoma production.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
At first, I thought that shifting Corolla production from Mexico to the U.S. was a singularly dumb move. Upon further reading, however, it's actually a genius move. And the answer has nothing to do with politics, but can still be summed up in a single word: Tacoma (as the original post states).

In today's truck and SUV-centric market, Tacoma has by far the most dire high-demand/low-supply squeezed situation of any Toyota or Lexus product. Tacoma production is pretty much maxed out at both existing facilities that build it (San Antonio, TX and Baja California in Mexico). Even with a delay of several months for the Corolla-to-Tacoma shift, the new already-under-construction Mexican plant will still be up and running at least a year earlier (if not more) than the new U.S. Toyota/Mazda plant. Thus, this is the fastest way there is to boost Tacoma production.

Yes this is a logical point and makes sense, although technically Toyota had other options for quickly increasing Tacoma production (which would have eaten into profits).

The only reason I thought of a political purpose possibly behind this as well is that the Corolla is still a much higher volume model in the US than the Tacoma in terms of sales. Not to mention how massive Corolla worldwide sales are. So thus one could argue that politically, the Corolla is a much more "visible" model than the Tacoma.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Yes this is a logical point and makes sense, although technically Toyota had other options for quickly increasing Tacoma production (which would have eaten into profits).

The only reason I thought of a political purpose possibly behind this as well is that the Corolla is still a much higher volume model in the US than the Tacoma in terms of sales. Not to mention how massive Corolla worldwide sales are. So thus one could argue that politically, the Corolla is a much more "visible" model than the Tacoma.
Yes, but compact sedan sales are a flat-to-declining segment, versus the growth (and Toyota capacity constraints) for pickups. And precisely because of how massive Corolla worldwide sales are, there are a multitude of alternate sources if necessary (Japan, England for the hatchback, Turkey for the sedan), whereas Tacoma is built exclusively in North America.

Also, this wouldn't be the first time that Toyota changes its mind mid-course as to what it builds where. The Mississippi plant was originally earmarked for Prius, but a combination of declining demand for hybrids and cheaper-than-Canada labor rates led to the change to Corolla. And I have a gut feeling that isn't the last change we'll see. For one, I've always thought it was very illogical for Sequoia to be built in Indiana versus Texas with the other BOF trucks. Sure, it's a prime example of how flexible the Toyota Production System is, but I fully expect for Sequoia to migrate to Texas when the next-gen version debuts in 2020 or so. Additional Mexican Tacoma capacity would make this move more feasible, while also potentially allowing for increased Highlander production in Indiana.

I also doubt North American Corolla demand is strong enough for two U.S. plants (even allowing for those sold in Mexico). It wouldn't surprise me if the new U.S. Toyota/Mazda plant ultimately builds something other than Corolla. C-HR, perhaps, whose U.S. sales seem to be picking up steam? Or a TJ Cruiser production version of the recent FT-4X concept?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, but compact sedan sales are a flat-to-declining segment, versus the growth (and Toyota capacity constraints) for pickups. And precisely because of how massive Corolla worldwide sales are, there are a multitude of alternate sources if necessary (Japan, England for the hatchback, Turkey for the sedan), whereas Tacoma is built exclusively in North America.

Also, this wouldn't be the first time that Toyota changes its mind mid-course as to what it builds where. The Mississippi plant was originally earmarked for Prius, but a combination of declining demand for hybrids and cheaper-than-Canada labor rates led to the change to Corolla. And I have a gut feeling that isn't the last change we'll see. For one, I've always thought it was very illogical for Sequoia to be built in Indiana versus Texas with the other BOF trucks. Sure, it's a prime example of how flexible the Toyota Production System is, but I fully expect for Sequoia to migrate to Texas when the next-gen version debuts in 2020 or so. Additional Mexican Tacoma capacity would make this move more feasible, while also potentially allowing for increased Highlander production in Indiana.

I also doubt North American Corolla demand is strong enough for two U.S. plants (even allowing for those sold in Mexico). It wouldn't surprise me if the new U.S. Toyota/Mazda plant ultimately builds something other than Corolla. C-HR, perhaps, whose U.S. sales seem to be picking up steam? Or a TJ Cruiser production version of the recent FT-4X concept?

Yes, all great points and I agree.

Reactions: RAL