Lexus GS F Thoughts on GSF

Reactions
As much as we'd think it would be vastly out classed by the Germans, its not nearly as bad as we think. A quick comparison using the Manufacturer's website.

Lexus GSF - 467HP 4.5 0-60 84k
BMW M5 - 560HP 4.2 0-60 94k
MB E63AMG - 577HP 3.5 101k

The more I look, the BMW M5 was square in the crosshairs of the GS-F. Most Lexus loyalists who want something more, will easily move onto the GS-F and care more about the total experience of ownership not just HP and 0-60s. As do a lot of people who spend big money on a premium car, a reliable, best dealer service network, and high resale option will appeal to a percentage of the market, and once Lexus can beat/match in the Horsepower race/o-60 the GS-F will be quite the competitor.

Lexus will need to revamp their next generation engines. For example, if Lexus released a IS-F what engine would it have?..the same 467HP as the GS-F?......don't think so. Also looking down the line, the LS460..still only has 380HP 4.6L V8.

The 2.0L Turbo is a great entry level start. The bigger forced induction engine, looking at all the competition, a 3.0L engine seems the ideal size to deliver 300-400HP. Which could be used to power the IS, GS, RX, etc. Then maybe a 4.0-4.5L or in that area, forced induction engine to replace the aging 4.6L V8, 5.0L V8.

Only time will tell.

Reactions
As much as we'd think it would be vastly out classed by the Germans, its not nearly as bad as we think. A quick comparison using the Manufacturer's website.

Lexus GSF - 467HP 4.5 0-60 84k
BMW M5 - 560HP 4.2 0-60 94k
MB E63AMG - 577HP 3.5 101k

The more I look, the BMW M5 was square in the crosshairs of the GS-F. Most Lexus loyalists who want something more, will easily move onto the GS-F and care more about the total experience of ownership not just HP and 0-60s. As do a lot of people who spend big money on a premium car, a reliable, best dealer service network, and high resale option will appeal to a percentage of the market, and once Lexus can beat/match in the Horsepower race/o-60 the GS-F will be quite the competitor.

Lexus will need to revamp their next generation engines. For example, if Lexus released a IS-F what engine would it have?..the same 467HP as the GS-F?......don't think so. Also looking down the line, the LS460..still only has 380HP 4.6L V8.

The 2.0L Turbo is a great entry level start. The bigger forced induction engine, looking at all the competition, a 3.0L engine seems the ideal size to deliver 300-400HP. Which could be used to power the IS, GS, RX, etc. Then maybe a 4.0-4.5L or in that area, forced induction engine to replace the aging 4.6L V8, 5.0L V8.

Only time will tell.

As I write this article, I forgot to mention 400HP 3.0L engine seems ideal. Infiniti is set to release a 400HP 3.0L twin turbo engine with a 300HP detuned version for entry level. Cadillac also just release a 3.0L Twin Turbo 406HP engine in the new CT6.

MB - 3.0L Twin Turbo has close to 400HP
Audi 3.0L Twin Turbo is capable of 400HP
BMW, 3.0L Twin Turbo (in the M3/4) is capable of 400+HP
Even Jag's 3.0L Supercharged engine puts out 380 some odd HP
Aforementioned, Cadillac & Infiniti

I see a pattern emerging. With this emission regulations fuel consumption etc, we will see a lot of the engines in many manufactures be the same size/power etc. A good example of this, When the IS350 debuted with its 306HP Engine, Infiniti's G35 was revamped to have 306HP..(with an extra 6HP at 60mph) Something about 306 that was the magic number. Another good one, the 2.0L Turbo game, most if you compare the BMW, Audi, MB, Lexus 2.0L Turbo in entry level form, they all put out about 240HP and have almost exactly 258ft-lbs of TQ.

Geez I miss the days when every manufacturer had significantly different power plants.