There's only one tt V8 engine for LEXUS.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I don't think any 4cyl would make it in Toyota trucks. Especially with Toyota's refusal to use turbo on their engine. Like someone already said in one of the forums anything turbo for now is for Lexus.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Another vote for "no 4cyl" in Land Cruiser, Tundra, Sequoia, Tacoma and 4Runner. It would never sell here on cylinder account alone, no matter how strong, capable or powerful it could be.

We'll see how badly the Ranger and the Wrangler JL flop to tell whether this is true.

The Taco people will crucify Mike Sweers if he put the same engine in there again.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
The Tacoma and Hilux make sense for 4 cylinders, but anything larger needs a V6 or better.

The current 2.7 2TR 4cyl is outdated. It is underpowered and is rated for basically the same MPG as the current 2GR. The successor needs more than a lower price to justify its existence.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Would most likely be 4.0 instead of 4.4 due to tax reasons.

a new Lexus v8TT would be great and just in time for a LSF and LCF and I'm sure the other flagship to be LF1 would get an F variant too. Even if LSF and LCF happen, that means Lexus is sitting at the poker table with all the big dogs and raising their bet!

As far as LS+ goes, am I delusional or isn't that supposed to be the hydrogen variant? Will the LS+ be longer or come with more rear leg space? I forgot if they mentioned dimensions or not.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Would most likely be 4.0 instead of 4.4 due to tax reasons.

a new Lexus v8TT would be great and just in time for a LSF and LCF and I'm sure the other flagship to be LF1 would get an F variant too. Even if LSF and LCF happen, that means Lexus is sitting at the poker table with all the big dogs and raising their bet!

As far as LS+ goes, am I delusional or isn't that supposed to be the hydrogen variant? Will the LS+ be longer or come with more rear leg space? I forgot if they mentioned dimensions or not.

The 3.5 didn't make sense from a tax point of view either, so 4.4 shouldn't come as a surprise. They are betting on all markets shifting to emission-based tax in the near future.

The LS+ is a preview of a major mid-life update of the LS. It will be a technology platform that could accomodate multiple types of drivetrain.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
I think that a 4.0 doesn't make a lot of sense. Half a liter of displacement makes a big difference when talking about typical 4 cylinders, but it only offers a 14% increase over a 3.5l v6. If they are sticking to 0.5l increments, then 4.5l or 5.0 makes a lot more sense.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
A 3.6l V4 Turbo Diesel would be great for a Hilux/Fortuner: power, torque, economy. Not really sure Gasoline makes a lot of sense for trucks, except in USA and UAE.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
A 3.6l V4 Turbo Diesel would be great for a Hilux/Fortuner: power, torque, economy. Not really sure Gasoline makes a lot of sense for trucks, except in USA and UAE.

Modern turbocharged gasoline engines are basically diesels that rev higher.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Modern turbocharged gasoline engines are basically diesels that rev higher.

Maybe, but I'll believe that when all the Land Cruisers and Hiluxs workhorses across to world will be gasoline. A technical insight would be helpful.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Maybe, but I'll believe that when all the Land Cruisers and Hiluxs workhorses across to world will be gasoline. A technical insight would be helpful.

The turbo diesels on the Land Cruiser and Hilux will not go away. Parts availaility and ease of maintenance are the concern in places where people use them to actually haul things. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
ease of maintenance are the concern in places where people use them to actually haul things. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Because of the specific way Land Cruiser and Hilux are built and sold, or because of being diesel in general?

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Because of the specific way Land Cruiser and Hilux are built and sold, or because of being diesel in general?
Any road-side shop in those countries can fix a Land Cruiser or a Hilux, and some of the engine parts. The mechanics can be easily trained and there is an abundance of parts lying around. I've had a Prado's oil pan fixed by Lamas carrying the part on mules.

The turbo gasoline engines are mostly for replacing the "fancy modern diesels" that got busted for spewing toxic gas.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
screw the TT v8! i wanna see the v12 in the Toyota Century we wont ever get!!

I whole heartedly agree. Bring on the 1GZ-FE V12 5.0L motor which was in the 2Century and Century Royal. The third generation Toyota Century now uses a 5.0L V8 (2UR-FSE) which is also found in the LS 600h.