The NX is one of the worst cars in 2015? Consumer Reports is Crazy

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Is the NX the best vehicle in the class? I depends on what you want and expect. Do you want performance then look at a BMW X1 M-Sport 35 if you can find one or a Mercedes GL450. Do you want comfort look at the Acura or Lincoln. The Audi and the NX seem about even but the NX looks better from my point of view. The NX interior is as nice as anything in its class. Remember this is not a RX or BMW X3.

Your comparison seems a bit odd to me if you look at a BMW X1 or a Merc GL to consider these in the same class as NX...
Here in Europe, the NX is to be considered a competitor for Audi Q5, BMW X3/X4, Mercedes GLC (GLK before), Volvo XC60, Infiniti QX50 (if you can find a dealer somewhere), Range Rover Evoque, and - perhaps - a Porsche Macan. I do agree though that you shouldn't go for a Lexus if you are looking for pure sportiness (even if a real 'sportscar' and 'SUV' don't really match in my opinion, even not if it's called Porsche). I also agree to the fact that the NX interior can perfectly stand the test in its class and is one of the best offers.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Your comparison seems a bit odd to me if you look at a BMW X1 or a Merc GL to consider these in the same class as NX...
Here in Europe, the NX is to be considered a competitor for Audi Q5, BMW X3/X4, Mercedes GLC (GLK before), Volvo XC60, Infiniti QX50 (if you can find a dealer somewhere), Range Rover Evoque, and - perhaps - a Porsche Macan.

.........also a direct competitor to the Lincoln MKC, although there may be some countries in Europe where Lincolns are not available. A Cadillac competitor (not the XT5...one size smaller) is also currently under development....due maybe late next year.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
.........also a direct competitor to the Lincoln MKC, although there may be some countries in Europe where Lincolns are not available.

Are there any countries in Europe where Lincolns are available through normal dealership channels? Just curious (not that has much to do with NX)...

Spencer Chapin

Premium Member
Reactions
Joe
In the US the vehicles that you mentioned all cost quite a bit more than similarly equipped NXs. The way that I based my comparison was cost in the US.
I have not seen the new X1 but from what I have read it does not sound like it will be a NX competitor. The X3 seems much bigger and more expensive. The Audi Q3 is a little small but the Q5 is much more expensive. I have owned a X! and a X3 and came close to purchasing a SQ5 and a XC60.

Last edited:

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Joe
In the US the vehicles that you mentioned all cost quite a bit more than similarly equipped NXs. The way that I based my comparison was cost in the US.
I have not seen the new X1 but from what I have read it does not sound like it will be a NX competitor. The X3 seems much bigger and more expensive. The Audi Q3 is a little small but the Q5 is much more expensive. I have owned a X! and a X3 and came close to purchasing a SQ5 and a XC60.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that pricing position. Thanks for the comparison, good for my overseas automotive culture ;)

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Are there any countries in Europe where Lincolns are available through normal dealership channels? Just curious (not that has much to do with NX)...
Not that I know of. As far as I know, Lincoln has decided for now not to expand to Europe (and given the German market dominance I can understand why).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Not that I know of. As far as I know, Lincoln has decided for now not to expand to Europe (and given the German market dominance I can understand why).

As I thought, not likely to get significant traction there.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

No problem...that's a good and valid question. As I understood it, Mulally's ruling on it, made last year (though that could change in the future), was that Lincoln wouldn't expand into Europe as far as new-car sales go (China wasn't necessarily out of the question, to compete with Cadillac and Buick). But, in the previous post, I mentioned the "may be available (?) " possibility, on a limited basis, because Europe is often easier to get gray-market vehicles in and out of than the U.S., requiring less paperwork.

For example, an old friend of mine, some time ago, had to go to the docking-port at Baltimore to pick up a gray-market Saab, on a container-ship, coming in from Europe for another friend of HIS. (I went along to drop him off and bring his own car back). You would not have believed the number of forms and documents...they were endless.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Europe is more badge conscience than we are. Lincoln would not make it.

Caddy tried and failed, even the Saab based BLS. Lexus took two decades to gain traction. Infiniti has flopped there.

Tough cookie to crack.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Europe is more badge conscience than we are. Lincoln would not make it.

Caddy tried and failed, even the Saab based BLS. Lexus took two decades to gain traction. Infiniti has flopped there.

The BLS's days would have probably been numbered anyway, with Saab's (near) demise. Besides, Caddy has an even better product now....the ATS.

Tough cookie to crack.

That's probably how a number of other countries feel about our own full-size pickup market. ;)

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Wait till CR gets hold of the 2016 RX 350! Anyone wanna take a bet that they'll slam the new look (which I as a RX350 fan will have to agree).

If it aint broke, then don't fix it and what did Lexus do??????

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Wait till CR gets hold of the 2016 RX 350! Anyone wanna take a bet that they'll slam the new look (which I as a RX350 fan will have to agree).

If it aint broke, then don't fix it and what did Lexus do??????

That's not typical of the way CR usually reports on new vehicles. They didn't pan the Pontiac Aztek's styling, for example (only calling it controversial). And they didn't really pan the NX's similar exterior styling either, although they did criticize the NX in some other areas....some of which we discussed in this forum.

Personally, though, in most cases, I'm with you.............no broke, no fix. ;)

Spencer Chapin

Premium Member
Reactions
On the subject of the 2016 RX I don't know if I will like the styling until I see it in person. Many vehicles look bad in pictures and good in person and some are the opposite.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
The change is too extreme for the 350/450. Lines are too sharp and the grill looks like it could swallow an elephant - it's gaudy.

Spencer Chapin

Premium Member
Reactions
You may be right. From the pictures that I have seen I would not buy one. My brother who is in the market for a new hybrid can't stand it and is looking at something else to complement his Tesla.
I also did not like the front of my NX F sport at first but now really like the aggressive styling. I do not think that it will be the same with the RX.

mikeavelli

Reactions
These are very fair and valid concerns. The RX styling might be too risqué. We will see what the market thinks very shortly.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus has proven good results (=strong sales increases) with spindle grill and more aggressive styling with the IS and GS sedans. And NX is outselling most of its blander competitors.

RX styling might be risqué for this segment, still TBD. Maybe the mid-sized lux SUV segment is more conservative. IMHO, the old styling before was too bland and frumpy, therefore I never owned one (but I've driven several). Looking at pics doesn't tell the whole story. Valid concerns yes, but I suspect Lexus has another winner with this one, the NX is evidence of that IMHO.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And NX is outselling most of its blander competitors.

RX styling might be risqué for this segment, still TBD.

That's the key. The NX was marketed to a somewhat younger, less well-heeled financially, and not as conservative type of buyer as that of the RX. Yes, the stying worked in that case....it's selling. With the RX, I'm not so sure...like you indicate, it is TBD. Of course, given the immense popularity of previous RX versions, there's no question that some buyers are going to trade for a new one like so many Camry and Accord buyers do for their new ones....simply because of the name "RX" on it.

In fact, you could say that the term "RX" is the perfect prescription for some buyers LOL. :D

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
We can second guess the marketing at Lexus all day. But Lexus being the most successful top tier lux automaker in crossover SUV business knew they had to be in the high growth compact segment of SUV's. Home run with NX resulted.