The Long Wait for the Next-Generation Lexus LS

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
They said the same thing when the Genesis and Equus came out "OMG Lexus watch out" and those things can't sell without 10k off the sticker and they didn't come close to changing the game. They are solid cars of course.

Well, you've hit on at least part of the problem. The new Genesis isn't really getting the credit it deserves. Those who drive it, particularly the 5.0L version, are generally wowed by it.

CIF said:
Fact is, we don't really know what has caused the delay for the next LS.

True, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the success of the latest Mercedes S-Class. Lexus probably wants to make sure it is doing the right competitor for it.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
CIF words of wisdom ...

Thanks.

Well, you've hit on at least part of the problem. The new Genesis isn't really getting the credit it deserves. Those who drive it, particularly the 5.0L version, are generally wowed by it.

If most people aren't interested in driving it in the first place, then it's very likely the Genesis is getting the credit it deserves. Maybe there simply isn't enough credibility in the reputation of the Genesis, for it to be getting more credit. This is however going off-topic, and a separate discussion that can be continued elsewhere.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks.

If most people aren't interested in driving it in the first place, then it's very likely the Genesis is getting the credit it deserves. Maybe there simply isn't enough credibility in the reputation of the Genesis, for it to be getting more credit. This is however going off-topic, and a separate discussion that can be continued elsewhere.

Fair enough. I don't quite see the Genesis in quite that same light, but if we're getting off-track, then fine....we'll save it for another thread. :)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Not that it has much to do with topic here, but the Genesis interior alone is far inferior to even mid-level Lexus products including new IS, GS and latest RX for example. I checked them all out Friday at SF auto show. The Genesis interior dash and door plastics are of significantly lower quality (being sticky/dull/poorly textured) than Lexus products. And the first key touch surface, the steering wheel, is Elantra quality with a average leather covering but more importantly poor shaping, texture and styling not expected in todays sport sedans. Second key area of weakness is drivers seat, again with mediocre shaping and styling, but more importantly short unsupportive bottom cushions typical of much cheaper cars. Not to mention the mysterious wood-like substance on dash, which is hardly impressive.

So potential buyers hoping for a premium car experience after looking at the reasonably attractive and somewhat bland/generic Genesis exterior, will give up once they touch the plastics of the interior and sit in drivers seat and notice the cheap steering wheel and front seats I described above.

No wonder not much interest in driving Genesis. Unless they are cross-shopping a Ford Tortoise maybe.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No wonder not much interest in driving Genesis. Unless they are cross-shopping a Ford Tortoise maybe.

Most reviews of it have been quite positive, but CIF is correct...it's probably best left for another thread. That's all I'll have to say about it here.