The Lexus LF-FC Concept: First Impressions

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I daily drive a current-gen LS460, and I have absolutely no problem with the low-end pickup. So if the new one bumps HP to 465 I'm going to have a hard time finding fault.

Also I agree with IS-SV: modern sedans should not be truck-like, that's what CUVs/SUVs are for.

One point I haven't seen made: it's been noted that the proportions on the current LS look a bit better on the long-wheelbase 460L model compared to the standard 460. This concept is clearly the xxxL model; it has the L's reclining rear seats and the length is similar to the current 460L. I'm curious if the concept will similarly be hurt by trimming it down to standard wheelbase.

Reactions: CIF

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I think Lexus is doing the right thing with styling on this sedan. IMHO SUV/RX styling is not appropriate for this class of vehicle.

The relatively simple and clean lines of this car with excellent proportions/stance is expected for a top tier super premium sedan.

Agreed. This new design is already two steps ahead of any Mercedes S-Class, Audi A8, or BMW 7-series.
Doesn't need to try too hard, and the demos will not favor trying too hard to be stylish.
The Germans are waiting to get taught a lesson in "aggressive elegance".
BD

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
According to DigitalTrends.com, after speaking with Lexus of Europe boss Alain Uyttenhoven, the all-new 2017 Lexus LS500 and LS600 will land next year. The Lexus LC500 production model is set to be shown in Detroit, and I highly doubt both cars will be shown at the same show, so I'd expect the LS to be shown in New York in April.

According to this information, the 5.0 V8 will make 465 HP, not much different from what it makes in the RCF, but hopefully, they can get more torque out of it. The hybrid will be V8/electric, not V6/electric, and make 535 HP, which makes some sense given they also say the future LSF sedan will be a turbo V8 making an even 600 HP. The hydrogen version comes a year later, and has a range of 239 miles (such an exact number also lends credence to the sources).

Also the TX full-size crossover is being rushed to market. Sounds like the reveal may come next year at this time and should hit dealers in early 2017. It is being described as "a second flagship" model.

Outside of a lack of torque in the V8, the LS looks like a winner, and 2016 looks like it will be a very big year for the top of the Lexus lineup.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2017-lexus-ls-hybrid-news-rumors-specs/

BD

There is no official word at all on a so-called 'TX' or new 3-row Lexus crossover, not yet anyways. The Digital Trends article mentions nothing about a TX.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
According to DigitalTrends.com, after speaking with Lexus of Europe boss Alain Uyttenhoven, the all-new 2017 Lexus LS500 and LS600 will land next year. The Lexus LC500 production model is set to be shown in Detroit, and I highly doubt both cars will be shown at the same show, so I'd expect the LS to be shown in New York in April.

According to this information, the 5.0 V8 will make 465 HP, not much different from what it makes in the RCF, but hopefully, they can get more torque out of it. The hybrid will be V8/electric, not V6/electric, and make 535 HP, which makes some sense given they also say the future LSF sedan will be a turbo V8 making an even 600 HP. The hydrogen version comes a year later, and has a range of 239 miles (such an exact number also lends credence to the sources).

Also the TX full-size crossover is being rushed to market. Sounds like the reveal may come next year at this time and should hit dealers in early 2017. It is being described as "a second flagship" model.

Outside of a lack of torque in the V8, the LS looks like a winner, and 2016 looks like it will be a very big year for the top of the Lexus lineup.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2017-lexus-ls-hybrid-news-rumors-specs/

BD

This is not accurate at all, as the author never said such a thing nor do they for that matter concretely know what they are talking about. Alain Uyettenhoven NEVER said the fifth-generation LS was arriving next year, the author made that shot in the dark assumption. Merely hearsay, which has been proven to be inaccurate, not only once, but twice.

The same Digital Trends claimed the production model would be revealed in Tokyo, which me an outsider to Toyota Motor Co., claimed otherwise with great confidence. I was right in the end and much of everyone else was not, save for the Australian and Japanese media. The 5LS goes into production approximately 18 months from now, thus it will NOT be shown (in April) 13-15 months ahead of introduction. Otherwise, they might as well cease XF40 production before that or skip a model year, as no one will buy the incumbent model and LS sales would fall flat in anticipation for the 2018 model.

Automotive News reported in 2013, that the LS would be redesigned in the summer of 2017 as a 2018 model. My god, they were right... (even though I hated and denounced that possibility) The production date given is May 2017, which involves a 2-3 month delay to delivery.

The TX is not guaranteed, but I believe you when you say it's coming. No amount of denial from Toyota executives will make me believe otherwise, as they played this game with the NX 3 years ago and look what we have today of course. However, the TX is not the "second flagship". That is the LC, plain and simple. I wouldn't trust dubious journalism easily, considering the source isn't always so reputable.

Reactions: CIF