The all-new BMW 2 Series Coupé (G42)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Haven't driven the GR Supra, but it is not based on an M platform, I would imagine a true M car should drive better.

M2 is built on the 2 series (CLAR) platform, and CLAR is also what underpins the Z4 and Supra. I'm sure there is additional bracing, calibration, and suspension changes for M cars, but the core chasses are probably quite similar between Zupra and 2er. The tuning post-chassis is where most of the differences come into play.

While I didn't love the Supra and wouldn't own one, I'd take it over a M240i based on looks alone while still having a lot of the amazing BMW bits.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Haven't driven the GR Supra, but it is not based on an M platform, I would imagine a true M car should drive better.
On tracks these two have very similar times. The M2 is over 200kg heavier and that won't be good no matter how much "M car engineering" it has.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
M2 is built on the 2 series (CLAR) platform, and CLAR is also what underpins the Z4 and Supra. I'm sure there is additional bracing, calibration, and suspension changes for M cars, but the core chasses are probably quite similar between Zupra and 2er. The tuning post-chassis is where most of the differences come into play.

While I didn't love the Supra and wouldn't own one, I'd take it over a M240i based on looks alone while still having a lot of the amazing BMW bits.

Correct, but the M cars generally have substantially different suspension and chassis vs regular cars of the same series. I've leased a 2015 m235i and owned a 2018 M2, the M2 felt substantially more substantial.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
On tracks these two have very similar times. The M2 is over 200kg heavier and that won't be good no matter how much "M car engineering" it has.

Yes, but thats apples to oranges. The M2 is also a 4 seater.

Reactions

There is no such thing as a bespoke M platform. If anything, the GR Supra and the Z4 are built on a dedicated sports car platform using CLAR components. All M cars are just built off of on their regular CLAR-based cars, and while yes, they do some heavy suspension, driveline, powertrain, and chassis modifications, turning it into a different animal entirely, it's not bespoke like these two cars are.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
There is no such thing as a bespoke M platform. If anything, the GR Supra and the Z4 are built on a dedicated sports car platform using CLAR components. All M cars are just built off of on their regular CLAR-based cars, and while yes, they do some heavy suspension, driveline, powertrain, and chassis modifications, turning it into a different animal entirely, it's not bespoke like these two cars are.

Well, by that metrics even a Rolls Royce is just a 7 series platform, but we all know there is more to it. There are substantial differences between a regular 2er vs M2, such as all aluminum suspension arms vs stamped steel, DSG vs 8 speed, and countless other modifications. Would be nice to get a special edition of the Supra built on the M2 platform.

Falcon

Fan
Reactions
NISMO Z beats the M2 on the track so I don't think the Supra has much to worry about.

Reactions
Well, by that metrics even a Rolls Royce is just a 7 series platform, but we all know there is more to it. There are substantial differences between a regular 2er vs M2, such as all aluminum suspension arms vs stamped steel, DSG vs 8 speed, and countless other modifications. Would be nice to get a special edition of the Supra built on the M2 platform.

No new BMWs come with a dual-clutch anymore, all of them have a regular automatic. Also the M2 is ~400 lbs heavier than the GR Supra.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
M2 makes no sense to me looks sh*t, same size and weight as M3 sedan and less practical. Just a worse Supra and a worse M3.

Reactions
Really good showing for the M2. Granted, it has ~80 more horsepower but it also weighs a lot more.

As for the GR Supra, it clearly did much better in the corners and is a beast when it comes to traction, but you can't beat raw power.

While I lean more to the B58, any modern BMW 6-cylinder M car is just sweet to own. Love them.