The 3rd-gen Toyota Tacoma thread (mid-cycle refresh)

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Yes. :expressionless: Exactly. I think Toyota could have done a little more than this. I still want a hybrid Taco with an emphasis on performance and not efficiency.

61be0af3-2020-toyota-tacoma-1.jpg

90a02022-2020-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-4.jpeg

c4635353-2020-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-2.jpeg

2b229cbb-2020-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-8.jpeg

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/2020-toyota-tacoma-unveiled-mild-styling-updates-equipment/

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Knowing both that Toyota dealers have received a high number of complaints about the transmission, and how unpopular the powertrain has been with enthusiasts/buyers, I am surprised that there were no revisions to the powertrain. I suppose it's possible that Toyota could have revised and updated the shift logic within the existing 6AT and they wouldn't be reflected in any press materials. However, they have tried to issue several TSiBs to fix it with no real solution, so that makes me think the problem is more widespread.

Toyota is lucky that gas prices are so low right now - it's effectively the one thing that's allowing them to continue selling 10-15 year old hardware without consequence. MPG in Toyota trucks and SUVs is so far below competitors that it is a noticeable difference in real world application. No biggie when gas is $2.20 a gallon. As you start crossing $3/gal, people pay more attention IMO.

I hope TNGA-F is as much of a leap forward as they need.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Knowing both that Toyota dealers have received a high number of complaints about the transmission, and how unpopular the powertrain has been with enthusiasts/buyers, I am surprised that there were no revisions to the powertrain. I suppose it's possible that Toyota could have revised and updated the shift logic within the existing 6AT and they wouldn't be reflected in any press materials. However, they have tried to issue several TSiBs to fix it with no real solution, so that makes me think the problem is more widespread.

Toyota is lucky that gas prices are so low right now - it's effectively the one thing that's allowing them to continue selling 10-15 year old hardware without consequence. MPG in Toyota trucks and SUVs is so far below competitors that it is a noticeable difference in real world application. No biggie when gas is $2.20 a gallon. As you start crossing $3/gal, people pay more attention IMO.

I hope TNGA-F is as much of a leap forward as they need.

OVTune's 2GR-FKS/6AT fix is almost complete. I am genuinely surprised Toyota is too cheap to fix their issues because they can get away with it. They are literally outdone by a third-party tuner shop.

Three years ago Toyota pulled the Land Cruiser out of the chinese market because they were too cheap to re-certify the drivetrain for emissions (the excuse they gave was, you guessed it, 'poor demand'). The grey importers ended up flashing new engine software themselves and now these guys sell 30k LC200s at 25% markup (so much for the 'poor demand' part). In fact they even contracted third-party tuners to develop upgrades to make the LC200 comply with the upcoming 2021 emission standards.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Goes Where Few Trucks Can
While Toyota’s intention on this trip was to highlight the changes to the 2020 Tacoma, what really struck home was what hasn’t changed—the fact that the Tacoma is still a rock-solid truck, tough as nails and engineered to crawl with the best off-roaders. While we’d like to see some more investment in the truck’s off-road electronics, overall we’re glad the engineers and product planning gave it a light touch.

2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Has a Rugged, Split Personality
If there's a 2019 TRD Pro sitting next to the 2020 model at a dealership, go for the one that sells without a premium. But the new seats and the multi-terrain monitor built into the new center screen make the newer example just better enough to merit paying a few more bucks for. Toyota will likely sell a quarter-million Tacomas this year, and the biggest reason for that is its reputation for quality. But this is an old truck facing competition that often works better in the situations in which most buyers operate their trucks. If Toyota is going to keep an advantage in this market, it's time for a newer truck that does more things well—even if few compact trucks work better in the dirt than the Tacoma TRD Pro.

Happy Taco Tuesday! 🌮

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Toyota Rolls Seven 2021 Special Editions Into Chicago Auto Show
2021 Trail Special Editions: Carry In, Carry Out In Style

Toyota truck buyers love the great outdoors, and in fact, Toyota trucks sit at the top of their segments for owners who participate in outdoor activities like camping, fishing, and hiking. To celebrate and support all that fresh-air fun, Toyota is introducing the 2021 Tacoma, Tundra, and 4Runner Trail Special Editions this summer. All put emphasis on extra storage and convenience, with unique styling and exclusive content added for good measure.

All three 2021 Toyota Trails are based on the SR5 grade models to deliver high value, and they also offer the choice of 2WD or 4WD. The Tacoma Trail is built on the SR5 Double Cab, and the Tundra Trail is based on the SR5 Crew Max with SR5 Upgrade Package (larger fuel tank, front bucket seats with driver’s power lumbar support, front center console, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, three front cupholders, and an anti-theft system with alarm and engine immobilizer).

Available Trail color choices include Army Green, Cement, Midnight Black, and Super White. While these are not strictly considered limited editions, volume will be low. Toyota is planning to equip 7,000 Tacomas, 5,000 Tundras and 4,000 4Runners as Trail Editions.

All Trails feature black exterior badging, plus black seating with tan stitching. In all versions, standard all-weather floor liners help catch the outdoor elements that come in on occupants’ feet. From there, each Trail model has its own unique set of upgrades:
  • The 2021 Tacoma Trail features a set of Dark Gray 18-inch TRD Off-Road wheels with Kevlar All-Terrain tires, and the grille from the Tacoma Limited adds a custom touch. A 115-volt power outlet in the bed adds versatility, and lockable bed storage includes insulation on the driver side to double as a cooler.
  • The Tundra Trail wears the bold chrome grille from the top-of-line Tundra 1794 Edition with color-keyed surround, plus special-edition wheels. As on the Tacoma Trail, lockable bed storage includes insulation on the driver side to work as a cooler.
  • The 4Runner Trail comes ready to carry campers into the woods with dark gray TRD Off-Road wheels, and a Yakima LoadWarrior rooftop cargo basket for added utility and gear-hauling capability. Inside, 4Runner boasts a custom 40-quart cooler and sliding cargo tray.
Custom-made for Toyota in the U.S., the 4Runner Trail’s cooler is quite a versatile piece of equipment.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Why create a new thread when it's still the same generation and only a year difference? A new trim level was added - that's it.

Then why is there a new thread for a 2020 model when it's the same generation as the 2016? Some other forums do this and I've never liked it, because it becomes a nicely organized mess of barely related posts.

Title should just say 2020+ Tacoma or MMC Tacoma if that's going to be the case. Otherwise, everything should just be put under one thread, which was created in 2015 for this generation.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Shouldn't this be in another thread since it's not a 2020 model?
Why create a new thread when it's still the same generation and only a year difference? A new trim level was added - that's it.
Then why is there a new thread for a 2020 model when it's the same generation as the 2016? Some other forums do this and I've never liked it, because it becomes a nicely organized mess of barely related posts.

Title should just say 2020+ Tacoma or MMC Tacoma if that's going to be the case. Otherwise, everything should just be put under one thread, which was created in 2015 for this generation.
You both make valid points. Curiously, there doesn't seem to be a dedicated 3rd-gen Toyota Tacoma thread started with the 2016 MY launch, so I retitled this one while clarifying that it includes (actually, starts with) the 2020 facelift. 2021 and later should go in here as well.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I can work with anything, for me it is fun to see previous posts like Tacoma is going to die because of Ford, but also understand that people want better organization.

Maybe Tacoma (2012)...

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I can work with anything, for me it is fun to see previous posts like Tacoma is going to die because of Ford, but also understand that people want better organization.

Maybe Tacoma (2012)...
Where did you read that? Maybe on CL, as no one has mentioned that here. I did mention elsewhere the next Ranger is targeting both Hilux and Tacoma, which if Toyota doesn't keep up to date post 2022, could present problems.

I haven't driven an automatic 2020, but they better have reprogrammed it. It is as bad as 6 speed auto in the P415 F-150 SVT Raptor (poorly transmits and strangles 411 horses). 6th gear on manual is too short.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Where did you read that? Maybe on CL, as no one has mentioned that here. I did mention elsewhere the next Ranger is targeting both Hilux and Tacoma, which if Toyota doesn't keep up to date post 2022, could present problems.

I haven't driven an automatic 2020, but they better have reprogrammed it. It is as bad as 6 speed auto in the P415 F-150 SVT Raptor (poorly transmits and strangles 411 horses). 6th gear on manual is too short.

Sure, it was here too... but that is fine though, there is nothing wrong with that.

Ranger is already targeting both btw - from ever since this version came into production in 2011, they have been fighting with Hilux worldwide.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Sure, it was here too... but that is fine though, there is nothing wrong with that.

Ranger is already targeting both btw - from ever since this version came into production in 2011, they have been fighting with Hilux worldwide.

Having seen the next generation Ranger via the very man of mine in a leading position for the program in Dearborn, a lot is going into T6 model programs. It will be class leading, if the existing budget isn't cut for the P703 programs.

Both the 2020 Tacoma and 2019.5 Ranger are nearly one and the same: Updates. Question is, what does Toyota intend to do when the Ranger palate gets bigger upon redesign?

I generally don't play favorites, but Toyota doesn't exist in a vacuum like in 2012. TMSUSA Already described this vehicle as mid cycle as of 2019, so that means don't hold it more than 3 years or risk dating it.

They are backed into a corner and cannot release too many variations of a new body-on-frame architecture within the same year. Not even 2 cal. years of 2021 and 2022 will fully replace all of their trucks & SUVs with TNGA-F. Where does the Tacoma fit into that?

I am very confident about the new Ranger coming next November.