Tale of the three Lexus

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
My 2005 Corolla XRS is long in the tooth and my 2014 Lexus RX450h is doing 99% of the heavy lift. RCF is primarily a spring/summer, hobby car so to fill in the gap, I opted for a 2019 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (AWD). It has 28,000 KM on it. I also considered getting a 2015 Lexus RX350 F-Sport and genuinely enjoyed driving that car as it felt surprisingly sporty and stiff for an SUV with the 8 speed lifted from the IS350 F-Sport RWD making it feel very engaging, but in the end the sport sedan feel is what we need between the SUV and the RCF.

Just brought it home today. RCF is lower, wider, lower beltline and roughly about the same length give or take an inch. RCF has a shorter cabin and longer hood. The IS350 is taller and narrower. Will have more details, but took some pictures of the RCF and IS350 together. I also have the 2014 Lexus RX450h, which will continue to be the main hauler.

Crazy how different these two cars drive. From the moment I start rolling, they feel completely different. Both great in their own ways, but very different. More details later.

DSC_1391.JPG
DSC_1395.JPGDSC_1397.JPGDSC_1399.JPGDSC_1400.JPG
e0e06c8b-4e63-4478-9a2c-66b2b433f835.pngb29d804d-e46e-4749-b271-fe5f4ef2870e.png

Last edited:

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Sick stuff! Looks like you have yourself a real fine example there! I hope ownership treats you just as well as your other vehicles have! And I'm curious to hear what your impressions will be later on!

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Sick stuff! Looks like you have yourself a real fine example there! I hope ownership treats you just as well as your other vehicles have! And I'm curious to hear what your impressions will be later on!

Thanks man. Really appreciate it. I agree it is a really great example. I always really like the 3IS and thought about owning one some day. I had driven the IS350 F-Sport many years ago in 2014 and drove the IS500 F-Sport more recently It is the refreshed version so it comes with all of the updates so that is another great plus. I am sure it will be a great car for many years to come as I bought it for the long term. Will definitely put some deep thoughts into my impressions once I have enough seat time.

Last edited:

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Thanks man. Really appreciate it. I agree it is a really great example. I always really like the IS and thought about owning one some day. I had driven the IS350 F-Sport many years ago in 2014 and drove the IS500 F-Sport more recently It is the refreshed version so it comes with all of the updates so that is another great plus. I am sure it will be a great car for many years to come as I bought it for the long term. Will definitely put some deep thoughts into my impressions once I have enough seat time.
This is semi-unrelated but I've seen alot more of the current refresh IS-es around town where I live. I was a little lukewarm to its interior at first but I've warmed up alot more to it lately! The V8's a fun addition but I'm curious on the capabilities of the V6 as-is :>

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
This is semi-unrelated but I've seen alot more of the current refresh IS-es around town where I live. I was a little lukewarm to its interior at first but I've warmed up alot more to it lately! The V8's a fun addition but I'm curious on the capabilities of the V6 as-is :>

Interior is quite nice with the updates especially the screen. The 10 inch screen is so much better than the 7 inch one in my 2016 RCF.

Regarding power wise, I am holding judgement on that yet. I think there is some cr*p Octane 89 fuel in the car (just a theory) and not on premium fuel. Once I use it all up, I will put Octane 94 like I do in my other cars and see how it works out.

I drove the RX350 F-Sport extensively with the 8 speed auto and 270 HP. My RX450h has 295 HP while the IS350 F-Sport is around ~ 3850 lbs with 311 HP as opposed to 4500+ lbs on those SUVs so technically with a 0-60 mph in 5.2 - 5.3 seconds at sea level, it should feel a lot quicker and I will form my opinions once I have put the best grade fuel in it. I might even do GPS Dragy testing on it eventually to see what the numbers say.

I will have a full in-depth view of everything including handling, practicality, driving feel, comfort, engine, power etc. so stay tuned.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Interior is quite nice with the updates especially the screen. The 10 inch screen is so much better than the 7 inch one in my 2016 RCF.

Regarding power wise, I am holding judgement on that yet. I think there is some cr*p Octane 89 fuel in the car (just a theory) and not on premium fuel. Once I use it all up, I will put Octane 94 like I do in my other cars and see how it works out.

I drove the RX350 F-Sport extensively with the 8 speed auto and 270 HP. My RX450h has 295 HP while the IS350 F-Sport is around ~ 3850 lbs with 311 HP as opposed to 4500+ lbs on those SUVs so technically with a 0-60 mph in 5.2 - 5.3 seconds at sea level, it should feel a lot quicker and I will form my opinions once I have put the best grade fuel in it.

I will have a full in-depth view of everything including handling, practicality, driving feel, comfort, engine, power etc. so stay tuned.
Looking forward to it!

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
As a GS350 owner and going by weight of the new IS compared to the GS I'm sure the drive should be similar. The V6 is a very capable engine. And when driven by someone very familiar with the drivetrain it might even surprise you in a positive way.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Congratulations! ... and in my favorite color!

Thanks. It is a wonderful color I had my eyes on since 2015. I always thought, if I ever get an IS, it will have to be in this color. It changes color from gold to silver under changing light conditions. In bright light it is more like gold, but changes to grey with decreasing light.

It has been sitting there since I brought it home. I will be taking it out today to run a few errands so would be a nice opportunity to explore it a bit more.

df0b175c-a67f-47b6-9978-ba62d0e41128.png

Reactions
Thanks bro
Any updates on differences between IS and RC F? I'm curious as I was surprised at how differently my GS 350 drives compared to my Dad's LS 460 as both are on distantly related platforms (New N platform vs N platform). I guess the RC is a bit of a mishmash between several platforms, but still technically on New N I believe, so I wonder how the IS compares to the RC as both are on New N.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Any updates on differences between IS and RC F? I'm curious as I was surprised at how differently my GS 350 drives compared to my Dad's LS 460 as both are on distantly related platforms (New N platform vs N platform). I guess the RC is a bit of a mishmash between several platforms, but still technically on New N I believe, so I wonder how the IS compares to the RC as both are on New N.

Thanks for the question. The 3IS chassis is essentially a shortened version of your 4GS platform. I have not had a chance yet to write a detailed review and post it up, but I do have a lot of experience with the OEM IS350 F-Sport now and have been driving my RCF again in the last few weeks a few times even back to back. RCF chassis/suspension is further 70% different from the base RC chassis so basically my comparison is of an IS350 F-Sport vs the RCF. It is actually hard to compare them since they are so different in their execution.

Back many years ago, I drove both RC350 F-Sport and IS350 F-Sport back to back. However, RCF is about 70% different from an RC with its own suspension, axles etc. so now I can only really compare the RCF fairly to the IS350. I might have to explain it in a full review, but in reality the RCF feels over-engineered compared to the IS350 F-Sport, which feels a lot more simpler in its execution. What people refer to "Frankenstein", is actually one of the strongest features of the car as it was developed to keep compact coupe dimensions while achieving a much higher level of torsional/lateral rigidity than was possible with the IS/GS platform. That was for the track purposes. It is something that is obvious going over asymmetrical loads over uneven surfaces where the IS350 has some cowl shake, vibrations/shuddering and jiggle while the RCF remains one solid unit even when it is an asymmetrical surface. It seems almost impossible to detect vibrations in the RCF chassis over any surface.

While IS350 F-Sport drives great up until 3/1t0h or 5/10th in the city, the RCF feels wider and heavier in part due to the steering programming of the EPS being more rigid/heavier/direct in SPORT+ mode and the bigger wheels and tires etc. Also, it is something like 200 lbs heavier so at slow speeds, the weight difference does seem to be apparent. However, once both cars are pushed past 5/10th up to 8/10th or so, the RCF completely separates itself and shrinks rapidly around the driver. While the IS350 F-Sport starts to struggle a bit and become bouncy/floaty over rapidly changing as the AVS tries to negotiate the rapidly changing surfaces by controlling the spring motion, the RCF with a lot more rigidity, it almost feel over-damped in terms of strong rebound control where the chassis stomps over the rapidly changing surface with a lot of authority. I believe, Lexus said, the RCF is supposed to 50% stiffer than the IS/GS platform in their press release. One can totally feel it. Should come as no surprise that the RCF is obviously a lot more stiffer due the suspension and chassis tuned for the track in the RCF compared to the IS350 F-Sport and can cause some head bobbling when going fast over un-even roads, but the body control and confidence one gets is just next level.

Again, I have to write a detailed review to give more context, but Lexus put a lot of engineering from performance perspective into the RCF and driving both back to back, the 30 - 40% higher price of the RCF seems to be put into perspective when pushed to the limit it was designed for. I really enjoy the IS350 F-Sport on the streets driving on normal roads as much as the RCF. They both are so different that it is not a fair comparison. The IS is a lot of fun up to 5/10th and 6/10th especially zipping around street turns and accelerations on city roads etc. Handles really well and 311 HP is a lot more than one needs. RCF seems a bit out of place for that type of driving due to how wide it is and the IS350 F-Sport feels nearly as much fun at slow speeds, but once you get some room to work with where RCF could be pushed past 5/10th, it really starts to dominate the experience. It simply feels like a car that is an overkill on the street with that level of performance, which is barely usable on the streets. That is what actually makes it feel even more special to experience such savagery in small doses.

Anyway, those are my impressions of ownership for both of them. I am very happy with both of them in their own unique ways. Let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers!

Last edited: