Subaru Has Lost the Plot - Carsales.com.au

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

An automotive outlet calling out a car manufacturer?
1fa41e4c68c6c04a1b32f5e9b729fbbe.jpg

Not like it's going to make a difference, but I'm glad there's finally an automotive outlet that's calling out how mediocre and bland Subaru has become.

In the markets where Subaru's PR marketing B.S. brainwashing and cult following isn't going full tilt 24/7 like in the US, their sales are nearly non-existent. They used to be pretty popular in the UK when they were making good and interesting cars, but as they descent into mediocrity, so did their sales in the UK.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I always lusted after a cool Subaru over the years but they all died. In exchange we get arguably the ugliest lineup around and maybe slower than Honda. Sales have exploded. Unfortunately the brand is pretty dead to performance enthusiasts on road. They seem to have a large overland following.

Outside the BRZ which is a Toyota collab, I have zero interest in the brand. Not just the vehicles but the image. Sad as again I thought they were pretty cool in the 1990s and 2000s.

Unfortunately I had this ugly truth conversation recently. Car enthusiasts ask for the world and want to buy a new car USED in 5-10 years. And car manufacturers can’t aim there.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Unfortunately I had this ugly truth conversation recently. Car enthusiasts ask for the world and want to buy a new car USED in 5-10 years. And car manufacturers can’t aim there.
Exactly lol, especially true when it comes to the more affordable performance cars, and to avoid that, these models either get killed off or they get facelifted but are sold as a new gen models and their MSRP get increased significantly.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Subarus sell in the U.S. like free beer for one basic reason....ugly or handsome, they are some of the best snow-cars in the business, with an ingeniously simple and reliable all-wheel-drive system. There are millions of well-satisfied owners.

That's not to say, however, that they are faultless. Their flat-four and flat-six engines are not necessarily the most durable on the market, some of them have had a history of head-gasket and wheel-bearing failures, some more recent ones had oil-consumption issues from bad rings, and, in the late 2000s, starting around 2008-2010 or so, they received, IMO, too much cost-cutting.

I read the attached article, BTW.....IMHO the writer is just too concerned with performance. There's a LOT more to driving (and driving enjoyment) than simple 0-60 times and skidpad figures. For instance, I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years with small non-turbo engines, and have never wanted or needed more spunk under the hood.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I read the attached article, BTW.....IMHO the writer is just too concerned with performance. There's a LOT more to driving (and driving enjoyment) than simple 0-60 times and skidpad figures. For instance, I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years with small non-turbo engines, and have never wanted or needed more spunk under the hood.
You say that, but do you want to buy a new gen model that's not only slower but also most likely more expensive than the previous gen model? The problem is as simple as that with the direction that Subaru is heading towards.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It does not help that the Toyota GR86 will cost € 90k in France starting in January 2024, and the GR Yaris will cost € 70k.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You say that, but do you want to buy a new gen model that's not only slower but also most likely more expensive than the previous gen model?

Yes, absolutely I would. ...I don't say one thing and do another. Right now, my Daily Driver is a Buick Encore GX.....with a turbo-three engine with only 173 ft-lbs. of torque. And even that is ultimately more power than I typically need in daily driving.

My old vehicle was much larger...a Lacrosse with a 3.6L V6. But it was just too large for the type of tight-quarter driving/manuvering/parking I had to do.....and the V6 engine was nice, smooth, and powerful, but had a lot more spunk than L needed. Plus, despite a much lower EPA rating, in my experience, this three-cylinder gets up to 50 MPG on the Interstates....on 87-octane. ;)

Reactions
I'm seeing a future headline / crossover episode of these two threads: "R&T Carsales.com.au- It's Time to Face the Facts: We Aren't BMW's Subaru’s Target Market Anymore"

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Without looking it up, I honestly don't know a single current Subaru model and what they look like. Their cars are so bland, they are basically invisible.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

It's got the front end of a Ford Explorer and the back end of a Toyota Veloz which is actually a Daihatsu model lol.

2022_Toyota_Veloz_Premium_(Rear).jpg