Sriracha-Themed Lexus IS Debuts at LA Auto Show

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The idea is cheap, the execution looks cheap, the promo video looks cheap, the messaging is cheap... I digress.

Lexus is really at a loss for ways to hold anyone's attention until the LS drops.

They should have chopped the top off an LC and premiered that, even if only a concept.

Reactions
Licensing team wins! So it is just a "marketing" exercise supposedly...but man, this is an auto show, not a Foodie event for millennial culinary snob critics. What's next, a Yelp Connected Lexus that will show every restaurant's rating when one drives by a business?

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Licensing team wins! So it is just a "marketing" exercise supposedly...but man, this is an auto show, not a Foodie event for millennial culinary snob critics. What's next, a Yelp Connected Lexus that will show every restaurant's rating when one drives by a business?

To further your point, it's the LA Auto Show - the first major show of the season and arguably the show with the largest consumer impact.

Lexus dropped the ball really badly with this. If they'd done something like this to circulate in D-list cities for auto shows, sure. Ok. Fine. But this is what they bring to the literal table in LA? No...

Reactions
To further your point, it's the LA Auto Show - the first major show of the season and arguably the show with the largest consumer impact.

Lexus dropped the ball really badly with this. If they'd done something like this to circulate in D-list cities for auto shows, sure. Ok. Fine. But this is what they bring to the literal table in LA? No...
I agree, the video was humorous but this type of stunt would fit better for April Fool's or a food event that Lexus likes to sponsor (I know their young professional demographic would be interested). What this tells me: Some Lexus marketing associates are not relocating to Texas and are looking to pad their resumes...

Also, if WCC was involved, they didn't have to do too much to "pimp" it up...
35011788.jpg

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Agree with all the comments above. This is awful :poop: :scream: and seriously hurts the brand at a time when Lexus tech and performance have been considerably surpassed by the competition.

Why am I not surprised?! They wouldn't understand that they are pushing away one of their most loyal customer to BMW or Mercedes....smh
Unfortunately, I've already gone Mercedes.

I hate to say it but for the reasons I listed above and as loyal as I have been to Lexus, I have also moved away from Lexus. For the first time ever, to the Germans - signed on a '17 A4 S-Line the other day.

Reactions
So disappointed. I wasn't even expecting much, just a new color on the IS, but this isn't even worthy of a gimmick. This doesn't bring people to the brand and drives away the people who are loyal. Who wins here? West Coast Customs? Just awful.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I hate to say it but for the reasons I listed above and as loyal as I have been to Lexus, I have also moved away from Lexus. For the first time ever, to the Germans - signed on a '17 A4 S-Line the other day.

Woah. Replacing the RC F or NX?

Edit: Nevermind -- guess it's taking the place of your HS. That didn't last long!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
This is pretty silly, but I think people are overreacting too. It's not like Lexus marketing and WCC doing this has any bearing on what Lexus Japan may or may not be executing on right now (LC, 5LS, UX, ???), and that's what actually matters. I really hope nobody is actually making purchase decisions based on car show gimmicks. They'd be hard for @mmcartalk to review, for one thing :)

Reactions
Marketing wise I'd have to say lots of attention, apparently, but from a branding perspective, I have to question...

At first I thought there has to be something more here we're not seeing? For Lexus, being a luxury brand (I know, some debate this) to team up with a hot sauce? seems to cheapen the "prestige" of the brand. I could envision this as a special edition Corolla, but a Lexus... hmmmm, has me scratching my head.

IMO the Toyota brands are more inline with this equation: Corolla = hot sauce < Lexus = Tumi.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Terrible, absolutely terrible. I'm disgusted.

The idea is cheap, the execution looks cheap, the promo video looks cheap, the messaging is cheap... I digress.

Lexus is really at a loss for ways to hold anyone's attention until the LS drops.

Agree with all the comments above. This is awful :poop: :scream: and seriously hurts the brand at a time when Lexus tech and performance have been considerably surpassed by the competition.

Yup exactly. There is an old saying, that when you don't have anything nice or meaningful to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. Lexus marketing should always remain classy and sophisticated, not crass, vulgar, and ridiculous like this horrid example. If Lexus doesn't have much to talk about, they should keep quiet and not make any desperate marketing attempts like this. Simply keep up classy commercials for existing models and that's it.

This is pretty silly, but I think people are overreacting too. It's not like Lexus marketing and WCC doing this has any bearing on what Lexus Japan may or may not be executing on right now (LC, 5LS, UX, ???), and that's what actually matters. I really hope nobody is actually making purchase decisions based on car show gimmicks. They'd be hard for @mmcartalk to review, for one thing :)

I disagree. This shows a total lack of cohesiveness within the Lexus organization, where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Lexus USA marketing should be absolutely in sync with Lexus Japan in terms of branding, and marketing. Everyone in the Lexus organization should be on the same page. Cohesive branding worldwide is of absolute importance for Lexus, so this is a huge misstep in the USA.

I typically refrain from making crass remarks, but in this case I'm just so shocked and disgusted by this horrible "marketing exercise" I feel I need to let my opinion firmly out, just like others have done in this thread. To be perfectly honest, this looks like some pet project from some marketing person in California, that somehow got approved by Lexus USA on a corporate level.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I disagree. This shows a total lack of cohesiveness within the Lexus organization, where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Lexus USA marketing should be absolutely in sync with Lexus Japan in terms of branding, and marketing. Everyone in the Lexus organization should be on the same page. Cohesive branding worldwide is of absolute importance for Lexus, so this is a huge misstep in the USA.

I'd agree if this was being run on national TV in place of the December to Remember commercials or something, but ultimately it's not the mass-market public face of Lexus. It's a couple of tweets and a forgettable display at a car show, for an entry-level model that Lexus US never has has a clue how to market. If they show an LS made of jelly beans at NAIAS, I'll worry.